conjecture isn't data

Old February 23rd 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default conjecture isn't data

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/27/2/289

One man's take.

Me? I raise a skeptic eyebrow but I have no opinion.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 23rd 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/23/2016 9:17 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/27/2/289

One man's take.

Me? I raise a skeptic eyebrow but I have no opinion.

Interesting, but it's important to note that there was no bicycling
involved in this experiment.

If helmet wearing bicyclists take more risks than non-helmet wearing
cyclist then the difference must be very small because as helmet usage
has increased head injuries have decreased, according to every study
done on the subject.

For example in Australia, head injury rates decreased significantly more
than limb injury rates at the time of helmet legislation. Furthermore
this was the case only among cyclists but not among pedestrians. While
this may make the case for Frank's desire to promote walking helmets, at
least it does prove the beneficial effect to cyclists.

Cyclist smart enough to wear a helmet are also smart enough to
understand that a) it offers no protection to any other part of the body
other than the head, and b) it does not offer 100% head protection. It's
very likely that the helmet wearing cyclist is taking less risks than
the non-helmeted cyclist because they actually comprehend the risks.

We know that one person in r.b.t. is fond of promoting bizarre
correlations, but perhaps there actually is a valid correlation between
leg injuries and helmet use! Helmets don't prevent leg injuries of
course but the person with the intelligence to wear a helmet is also
likely to be riding in a safer manner, not blowing through red lights,
maintaining their bicycle properly, and not riding drunk or stoned.

The reduction in head injuries and fatalities in countries that have
implemented a MHL is especially interesting because those cyclists that
were forced to wear a helmet, versus those that chose to wear on because
they understood the benefits, presumably did not change their riding
behavior for the better once they put on a helmet.
Old February 23rd 16, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:17:48 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/27/2/289

One man's take.

Me? I raise a skeptic eyebrow but I have no opinion.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

While looking, I did find this one:

"Bicycle helmets are highly protective against traumatic brain injury within a dense urban setting"; (2015) 46 ESINJR 12 2483-2490

There is some interesting data regarding helmet versus no helmet injury patterns:

No Helmet (n=225) Helmet (n=110)
% (n) 95% CI % (n) 95% CI

Any Intracranial Injury70Link to the text of the note 19.7% (44) 14.7,25.6 6.3% (7) 2.6,12.5
Skull Fracture 15.3% (34) 10.8,20.7 0.9% (1) 0.0,4.9
Subdural Hematoma 8.1% (18) 4.9,12.5 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Epidural Hematoma 5.8% (13) 3.1,9.8 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Mass effect 4.5% (10) 2.2,8.1 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Midline Shift 3.6% (8) 1.6,7.0 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Pneumocephalus 3.6% (8) 1.6,7.0 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Subarachnoid hemorrhage 10.3% (23) 6.7,15.1 4.5% (5) 1.5,10.1
Bilateral Haemorrhage 3.1% (7) 1.3,6.4 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Cerebral Contusion 8.1% (18) 4.9,12.5 3.6% (4) 1.0,8.9
Basal Cistern Compression 1.4% (3) 0.3,3.9 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Haemorrhage in Posterior Fossa 0.9% (2) 0.1,3.2 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Signs of Herniation 2.2% (5) 0.7,5.2 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Diffuse Cerebral Edema 2.2% (5) 0.7,5.2 0.0% (0) 0.0,3.2
Diffuse Axonal Injury 0.9% (2) 0.9,3.2 0.9% (1) 0.0,4.9

It is interesting that the two groups have the same diffuse axonal injury, which is what I would expect. The reduction in skull fractures is also what I would expect.

I quit wearing my helmet for a period of time 25 or so years ago -- peer pressure from some racer friends. I was timid for about an hour -- and then it was the same old same old. I was crazier in my pre-helmet days because I had never crashed hard and had no fear of pain. I am now pain averse.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 23rd 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

jbeattie writes:

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:17:48 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/27/2/289

One man's take.

Me? I raise a skeptic eyebrow but I have no opinion.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Groan. http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/2016/01/2...g-risk-taking/
Did they even swap hats between the two groups? I'll never know
there is no way I would pay for .pdf copy.

The pdf is available free from the site that Andrew linked.

I didn't see any indication that a hat/helmet swap was done.
That was the first thing I thought of, as well. Maybe doing
so would introduce other issues (from repetition).

--
Joe Riel
Old February 23rd 16, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

no question in decreasing accidents

https://www.google.com/#q=mtb+body+armor&tbm=shop

sure thing Dude
Old February 23rd 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I have not read the report. Maybe tomorrow.

The recent spate of online goldfish swallowing contests...the duc ape incident..hang gliding...BASE JUMPING..when first read of BJ went on to the next topic completely dismissing the idea as a real activity. Several months passed before...

almost everyone at vehicular activity's hi end wears helmets

we wear helmets to prevent deadly injury

or avoiding legal consequence for not wearing helmets.

I cannot wrap much of my mind around the remainder wearing a helmet as gunbelt

leaving a gruesome lot who might.

anyone seen a Base Jumper outfit at Walmart or the 300 POUND PELICAN ?

Old February 23rd 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 5:48:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have not read the report. Maybe tomorrow.

The recent spate of online goldfish swallowing contests...the duc ape incident..hang gliding...BASE JUMPING..when first read of BJ went on to the next topic completely dismissing the idea as a real activity. Several months passed before...

almost everyone at vehicular activity's hi end wears helmets

we wear helmets to prevent deadly injury

or avoiding legal consequence for not wearing helmets.

I cannot wrap much of my mind around the remainder wearing a helmet as gunbelt

leaving a gruesome lot who might.

anyone seen a Base Jumper outfit at Walmart or the 300 POUND PELICAN ?

Dave McDonald n Rindt spring to mind but its a chronic condition unrelated to reality. Half the field is prob infected.
Old February 23rd 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/23/2016 2:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:

While looking, I did find this one:

"Bicycle helmets are highly protective against traumatic brain injury within a dense urban setting";

But nobody studies helmets for the much greater number of non-bicyclists
who receive serious TBI and other head injuries. That includes the
group that gets many more such injuries per mile traveled.

Why do you suppose that is?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 23rd 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Why do you suppose that is?

///////////////

why do you suppose what is....non bicyclists wearing helmets ? like whom where's the study group ?

14% fish flying to Bermuda for the weekend were blue and yellow.

the helmet is part of the uniform as the gun is the gun belt or the hammer is the activity..to the end result(s)

the helmet goes with the urge supported by the feathers.

I guess maybe the report suggests a helmet of itself creates the urge . but moving more into my territory there's not much going with the helmet without the bike...

HRM that allows data export? [email protected] General 2 January 26th 07 05:51 PM
More data against H****ts Tony Raven UK 4 May 1st 06 11:10 AM
Cycling mathematician solves Kato's Conjecture Mike Kruger General 25 January 2nd 06 10:18 PM
GPS Trail Data? X_HOBBES General 18 May 2nd 05 07:53 PM
data loggers Paul Marcel Techniques 8 November 7th 04 03:57 AM