$4.99 Brand New Tire from China

Old March 1st 16, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default $4.99 Brand New Tire from China

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 3:15:56 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
Tosspot considered Sun, 28 Feb 2016 20:29:39
+0100 the perfect time to write:

On 28/02/16 20:19, Ian Field wrote:

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as
good as the big name brands.

My experience with them is far worse than yours then - they certainly
looked like tyres, but exhibited few of the characteristics like grip
or handling that are normally associated with motorcycle tyres.

Maybe a couple of decades ago they wouldn't have been good enough for my
riding style.

But if you don't ride like a total ****wit - they're quite adequate.

POSTING YOUR INTELLIGENCE ONCE IS ENOUGH
Old March 3rd 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Tue, 1 Mar
2016 20:04:32 -0000 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
news
"Ian Field" considered Mon, 29 Feb
2016 20:15:54 -0000 the perfect time to write:

m...

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china.
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not
as
good as the big name brands.

My experience with them is far worse than yours then - they certainly
looked like tyres, but exhibited few of the characteristics like grip
or handling that are normally associated with motorcycle tyres.

Maybe a couple of decades ago they wouldn't have been good enough for my
riding style.

But if you don't ride like a total ****wit - they're quite adequate.

While I wasn't all that slow, I always managed to avoid being in the
serious scratcher category, and never owned a bike designed with that
purpose in mind.
Yes, I sometimes rode fairly fast, and cornered fairly hard, but only
in places where I knew the road surface and could see the route was
clear well ahead of where I was aiming to be.

Years ago I had an ex-police Norton Commando 750.

The huge fibreglass fairing didn't take much leaning to ground it.

Every night on the way to college, there was a particular bend that
allowed
me to grind a little more ground clearance into the bottom of the fairing.

That would have been a very long time ago. With ground clearance like
that, it's a wonder they ever caught anyone
IIRC, the fairings (and panniers) were made for the police Nortons by
Rickman, and later sold in the retail market, in plain white or black.
I had a later derivative on my 2nd z650 for quite a while, but I think
they must've improved the ground clearance more than a little - I
never scraped mine, and it was a pretty large fairing (twin headlight
variant, to give an idea of the size).

When I sold the Norton, the new owner removed the fairing with an axe - all
that work grinding the ground clearance wasted!