Car used as weapon.

Old June 25th 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nightjar

Default Car used as weapon.

On 25/06/2012 06:55, Doug wrote:
On Jun 24, 4:05 pm,
wrote:
On 24/06/2012 12:35, JNugent wrote:

On 24/06/2012 07:22, Doug wrote:
Usual slap on the wrist for the driver. Would such a driver bother
about a cyclist getting in her way and yet she is still allowed on our
roads, along with many as dangerous as her?

"A woman has been given a 12-month suspended sentence after she threw
a man from her car bonnet into the road after a row over a painting.

Mandy McGuigan, of Tennyson Road, Colne, drove away from Heathcote
Antiques in Cross Hills last year after owner Simon Webster refused to
buy it.

She was also fined £750 and given 300 hours of community service at
Bradford Crown Court.

Mr Webster said he was in a "bit of a mess" after the "terrifying
incident".

Mr Webster was left hanging onto the front of the car as it sped off
into heavy traffic.

"'Drove as speed'

North Yorkshire Police traffic sergeant Peter Stringer previously said
it was "sheer luck" Mr Webster was not killed..."

"...He said he suffered a broken shoulder, lacerations to the head and
a knee injury in the incident..."

More with vid:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18555073

How did he happen to be on the bonnet of the car?

He was swept onto it when she drove the car off with him standing in
front of it.

That is not normal behaviour, is it?

It is probably normal if you get hit by a car at low speed. Reversing a
car into a shop, then driving into the owner, simply because he didn't
want to buy something you wanted to sell is definitely not normal
behaviour though.

It says she was high on speed at the time,

Indeed? Would you like to quote the bit of the article that makes that
claim? I can't see it anywhere. It does say she drove off at speed,
which is rather different.

which apparently is a minor
consideration as far as our legal system is concerned, bearing in mind
that it is mainly composed of motorists anyway.

Colin Bignell
Old June 25th 12, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nightjar

On 25/06/2012 00:21, JNugent wrote:
On 24/06/2012 16:05, Nightjar wrote:
On 24/06/2012 12:35, JNugent wrote:

How did he happen to be on the bonnet of the car?

He was swept onto it when she drove the car off with him standing in
front of
it.

You saw that on the video, I assume.

I wonder why the report didn't say it? It's an obviously important
element of the story. The report simply placed him on the bonnet of a
car without an explanation....

Doug didn't quote this bit:

The incident happened after Mr Webster refused to buy a painting she had
offered for sale. He told her it was not suitable for his antique shop
and McGuigan left the shop.

She backed her car into the shop, and when Mr Webster went outside to
remonstrate with McGuigan he was swept up onto the bonnet. The car was
driven off as he stood in front of it.

Colin Bignell
Old June 25th 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

On Jun 25, 6:51*am, Doug wrote:
On Jun 24, 9:17*am, "Norman Wells" wrote:

Doug wrote:
Usual slap on the wrist for the driver. Would such a driver bother
about a cyclist getting in her way

Only if he refused to buy her paintings I suspect.

and yet she is still allowed on our roads,

Yet another error, Doug.

"She has also been banned from driving for two years and must retake a
driving test before she is allowed back on the road."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cGuigan-drove-...

Why don't you ever check your facts before you write your nonsense?

I used a different source. According to your source the driver was
high on speed at the time! It just gets worse and worse doesn't it.

So she will be back on our roads in two years time and probably
driving while high again, such is the lack of proper punishment for
using a car as a dangerous weapon.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

The stocks?
Old June 25th 12, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Nightjar wrote:
[...]

the bit I read said that he deliberately stood in front in order to prevent
her driving away.

Old June 25th 12, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 25/06/2012 11:41, Mrcheerful wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Does it explain what right he had to do that, or how doing so would be a wise
action with or without a right to do it?
Old June 25th 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
pensive hamster

On Jun 25, 4:11*pm, JNugent wrote:
[...]

The incident happened after Mr Webster refused to buy a painting she
had offered for sale. He told her it was not suitable for his antique
shop and McGuigan left the shop.

She backed her car into the shop, and when Mr Webster went outside to
remonstrate with McGuigan he was swept up onto the bonnet. The car was
driven off as he stood in front of it.

Colin Bignell

the bit I read said that he deliberately stood in front in order to prevent
her driving away.

Does it explain what right he had to do that, or how doing so would be a wise
action with or without a right to do it?

It seems Webster thought she was drunk and unfit to drive:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...apes-jail.html

A woman who risked the life of an antiques shop owner by driving away
with him grasping onto her car bonnet escaped jail after a judge heard
she was high on speed at the time.

Mandy McGuigan, 42, had visited Simon Webster's store in Yorkshire
Dales to sell a painting but after being refused reversed into his
store as she tried to drive away.

Mr Webster rushed out of the shop and, thinking Ms McGuigan was drunk,
tried to stop her from leaving by standing in front of the car - when
she suddenly sped off, knocking him onto her bonnet.

Old June 25th 12, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
pensive hamster

On Jun 25, 5:22*pm, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Arguably, yes . But the police seem to consider that Webster "acted in
a proper manner". From further down in the Mail report:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...apes-jail.html

Traffic sergeant Peter Stringer, of North Yorkshire Police, said: ‘
She drove away at speed, through a red traffic light into heavy
traffic and taking a sharp bend, at which point Mr Webster fell off.
She didn’t stop and carried on driving all the way home to Lancashire.

‘Her demeanor in the shop gave Mr Webster concern and he acted in a
proper manner.
[...]
Mr Webster described the event which occurred almost a year ago to the
date: 'After she left the shop I heard a bang which made all the
windows shake and I ran outside to find she had reversed into the
building.

'I approached her to point out what she had just done and was greeted
by some very choice language indeed, words you wouldn’t hear on
Lovejoy.

'I told the lads who work with me to phone the police because I didn’t
think she was capable of driving and I stood one foot in front of her
car to prevent her driving away, but then she hit the gas and I was
knocked onto the bonnet.

'I was clinging on for dear life, but I realised she had no intention
of stopping or slowing down and at a tight bend I was thrown onto the
road.' ...
Old June 25th 12, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Are you suggesting that he had no right to do it? Should not people do what seems right, even though it sometimes may involve personal risk?

Old June 25th 12, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
R. Mark Clayton

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
Doug wrote:

Usual slap on the wrist for the driver. Would such a driver bother
about a cyclist getting in her way

Only if he refused to buy her paintings I suspect.

and yet she is still allowed on our roads,

Yet another error, Doug.

"She has also been banned from driving for two years and must retake a
driving test before she is allowed back on the road."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...apes-jail.html

Why don't you ever check your facts before you write your nonsense?

Well it wasn't nonsense this time, but regulars in this group will be all
too familiar with the disconnect between fact and Doug's posts.

OTOH most of the content of the Daily Mail is nonsense...

Yet another deliberate use of a car as a weapon. Doug[_3_] UK 4 February 17th 12 10:43 AM
Bus weapon JNugent[_7_] UK 5 January 10th 12 03:19 AM
Car used as weapon Doug[_12_] UK 8 November 28th 11 05:53 PM
another cycle weapon used. Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 1 April 19th 11 12:20 AM
Spade weapon Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 4 February 28th 11 09:33 AM