Sheldon Brown's Final Message

Old February 8th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
Garrison Hilliard

Default Sheldon Brown's Final Message

On Feb 3, 11:42*pm, Sheldon Brown wrote:
quoth Andre Jute

...Shimano specifically says the chainwheel/sprocket tooth
ration should be between 2.0 and 2.1.

I have never seen this spec for Nexus hubs. *I suspect this is related
to the Smover automatic transmission system, not to any limitation of
the Nexus hub itself.

Smover isn't yet available on this side of The Pond, so I have no
experience with this, but as far as the hub itself is concerned,
there's no reason for Shimano or anyone else to object to a high gear
ratio. *It's only chain ratios that overstress hubs.

My own Nexus 8 bikes a

http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-international52/19 w/28-622 tyres

(I was running 52/18 when I was using that wheel on my Picchio tandem
for a couple of weeks.)

and:

http://sheldonbrown.org/iro52/18 w/33-584 tyres

See also:http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal

Sheldon "Neck's Us" Brown
| *My daughter is a fine singer. *She's on *|
| * *YouTube singing Dvorak and Mozart: * * |
| * * * *http://tinyurl.com/2wbf3c* * * * *|
*Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
* * Phone 617-244-9772 *FAX 617-244-1041
* * * * *http://harriscyclery.com
* * Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
* * * * *http://captainbike.com
*Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
* * * * *http://sheldonbrown.com

Just noting it.
Old February 8th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Peter Cole

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
[...]

It may sound maudlin, but I unmarked it as read, just so it wouldn't go
away.