campag chorus cranks : smallest inner ring?

Old September 7th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

Default campag chorus cranks : smallest inner ring?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-Chorus-Triple-Kurbelsatz-172-5mm-NEU-OVP_W0QQitemZ360085437035QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 60085437035&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1 318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://tinyurl.com/57njtb

What is the smallest ring I can go to? Ideally a 24.

my current setup is something like 42/34/24 (close enough).. Can I do
this with the chorus crank and if so which rings do I need? Which
"compatible" ones save me most money while providing a quality product?

Old September 7th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 7, 9:28*am, wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-Chorus-Triple-Kurbelsatz-172-5mm-NEU-OV...66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://tinyurl.com/57njtb

What is the smallest ring I can go to? Ideally a 24.

my current setup is something like 42/34/24 (close enough).. Can I do
this with the chorus crank and if so which rings do I need? Which
"compatible" ones save me most money while providing a quality product?

I believe that is a 135/74mmBCD crank, which means
you could run a 24zh in the small. But you'd have to
run a 39zh or larger in the other two positions.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

This
http://www.velo-orange.com/suoldlotr.html
or this:
http://tinyurl.com/5tokxj
(ebay)
would let you run something like your old set-up.

If Sheldon is to be believed, they're JIS, which means that
if you bought an ISO BB, you oughtn't blindly mate them.
http://sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Old September 7th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

writes:

On Sep 7, 9:28Â*am, wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-Chorus-Triple-Kurbelsatz-172-5mm-NEU-OV...66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://tinyurl.com/57njtb

What is the smallest ring I can go to? Ideally a 24.

my current setup is something like 42/34/24 (close enough).. Can I do
this with the chorus crank and if so which rings do I need? Which
"compatible" ones save me most money while providing a quality product?

I believe that is a 135/74mmBCD crank, which means
you could run a 24zh in the small. But you'd have to
run a 39zh or larger in the other two positions.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

Just as I thought I could understand some of this. I read that. Who the
hell allowed things to run out of control in the biking field? Companies
trying to be incompatible?

This
http://www.velo-orange.com/suoldlotr.html
or this:
http://tinyurl.com/5tokxj
(ebay)
would let you run something like your old set-up.

I thought my old setup was typical for touring. I wonder if the 53/42/30
of the campag chorus triple I linked to would be good enough? They are
cheap enough. They are campag. What BB would I need? I see from Google
the triple needs a camapg chorus BB 111mm. What other options are there?
What is the compatability between campag and say, XT ?

If I go for the campag and move to a 24 inner ring then I need a minimum
of a 39 middle ring you say? How did you see that from the page you
referenced? Where is the link between chain rings for this set?

The chorus is a 5 bolt crank I take it? http://tinyurl.com/6no7do . The
fifth bolt is on the crank itself?

Old September 8th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Gravrock

On 2008-09-07, Penny wrote:
writes:

On Sep 7, 9:28*am, wrote:
[...]

If your existing 42/34/24 suits you well, you'll probably find a
53/42/30 to be quite a bit too high. Unless you seldom use the lower
part of your existing range and often find yourself spinning out in the
top gear, I'd stick with something more similar to what you have now.

I'd be concerned about shifting between a 42t and 24t ring, although a
39t middle and 24t granny ought to work well enough. I run a 52/42/26
on my road bike. Downshifting to the 26 is quick enough, but the upshift
is sluggish.

The closest match for what you have now is a mountain bike crankset:
typically 44/32/22 or 42/32/22 these days. You'd gain a bit more range
at the bottom and possibly the top compared to what you have now. The
Sugino XD600 linked above would also be a good choice if you don't mind
losing a little bit at the low end.

They are campag. What BB would I need? I see from Google
the triple needs a camapg chorus BB 111mm. What other options are there?
What is the compatability between campag and say, XT ?

See "ISO/J.I.S Interchangeability" at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html.

If I go for the campag and move to a 24 inner ring then I need a minimum
of a 39 middle ring you say? How did you see that from the page you
referenced? Where is the link between chain rings for this set?

You need at least a 39t middle ring no matter what size inner you use.
The bolt circle diameter dictates the range of chainring sizes you can
use.

The chorus is a 5 bolt crank I take it? http://tinyurl.com/6no7do . The
fifth bolt is on the crank itself?

Correct.
Old September 8th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

On 2008-09-07, Penny wrote:

[much deletia]

I thought my old setup was typical for touring. I wonder if the 53/42/30
of the campag chorus triple I linked to would be good enough? They are
cheap enough.

If your existing 42/34/24 suits you well, you'll probably find a
53/42/30 to be quite a bit too high. Unless you seldom use the lower
part of your existing range and often find yourself spinning out in the
top gear, I'd stick with something more similar to what you have now.

I'd be concerned about shifting between a 42t and 24t ring, although a
39t middle and 24t granny ought to work well enough. I run a 52/42/26
on my road bike. Downshifting to the 26 is quick enough, but the upshift
is sluggish.

I use 50/40/26 on one bike and 52/42/28 on another (both Campy triples)
and they shift very well. But as you say, 52/42/26 is a little so-so
from 26 - 42. I think 24 - 42 would be dicey.

Mark J.
Old September 8th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 7, 11:13*am, wrote:
On Sep 7, 9:28*am, wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Campagnolo-Chorus-Triple-Kurbelsatz-172-5mm-NEU-OV...65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://tinyurl.com/57njtb

What is the smallest ring I can go to? Ideally a 24.

my current setup is something like 42/34/24 (close enough).. Can I do
this with the chorus crank and if so which rings do I need? Which
"compatible" ones save me most money while providing a quality product?

I believe that is a 135/74mmBCD crank, which means
you could run a 24zh in the small. *But you'd have to
run a 39zh or larger in the other two positions.http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

Nope. Perhaps with positional shimano STI bbut with Campagnolo, plug
and play. Shifting off of and onto the 24t requires some shifting
finesse(remember that?) but ease up the pedal pressure, reduce the
RPMs and it'll work just fine. 'May' drag the chain on the bottom of
the FD cage when in the 24t and smaller cogs but shouldn't be there
anyway.