Specialized Warranty

Old September 8th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Default Specialized Warranty

We bought my wife a brand new Specialized hybrid in 2006. It's got one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems that are common on department store
bikes. I figured it would be fine for her, as she doesn't ride all that
much. Today, on the far end of a five-mile ride, a little piece snapped
inside and she lost control of the bike. Fortunately, it was as she was
just getting on and beginning to roll - not while she was cruising along the
expressway service road - so she was not hurt. I managed to jury-rig the
stem so we could get the bike home, but it's definitely trash now.

My question: Aside from the fact that I should be ****ed to the gills at
Specialized for almost causing serious injury to my wife, do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

Old September 8th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Papa Tom wrote:
We bought my wife a brand new Specialized hybrid in 2006. It's got one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems that are common on department store
bikes. I figured it would be fine for her, as she doesn't ride all that
much. Today, on the far end of a five-mile ride, a little piece snapped
inside and she lost control of the bike. Fortunately, it was as she was
just getting on and beginning to roll - not while she was cruising along the
expressway service road - so she was not hurt. I managed to jury-rig the
stem so we could get the bike home, but it's definitely trash now.

My question: Aside from the fact that I should be ****ed to the gills at
Specialized for almost causing serious injury to my wife, do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

Not enough data- but do ask your dealer.

Most models have a locking plate at the bottom. If the bolt retaining
that plate was not lubricated and/or not torqued properly, it's assembly
error or user error, not manufacturer 'defect'. That is not the only
design out there of course and some are just junk in both design and
execution.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 8th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"Papa Tom" wrote: (clip) do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If they're smart they will be only too happy to give you a replacement, and
get a signed release, before your wife begins to notice the back pains she
is now experiencing.

Old September 8th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 7, 6:05*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
We bought my wife a brand new Specialized hybrid in 2006. *It's got one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems that are common on department store
bikes. *I figured it would be fine for her, as she doesn't ride all that
much. Today, on the far end of a five-mile ride, a little piece snapped
inside and she lost control of the bike. *Fortunately, it was as she was
just getting on and beginning to roll - not while she was cruising along the
expressway service road - so she was not hurt. *I managed to jury-rig the
stem so we could get the bike home, but it's definitely trash now.

My question: *Aside from the fact that I should be ****ed to the gills at
Specialized for almost causing serious injury to my wife, do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

No idea on the question you're asking, but my thoughts on adjustable
stems are thus:

Use it only until you figure out what angle you want it at, then by a
fixed stem with that rise.
Old September 8th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 7, 6:05 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
We bought my wife a brand new Specialized hybrid in 2006. It's got one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems that are common on department store
bikes. I figured it would be fine for her, as she doesn't ride all that
much. Today, on the far end of a five-mile ride, a little piece snapped
inside and she lost control of the bike. Fortunately, it was as she was
just getting on and beginning to roll - not while she was cruising along the
expressway service road - so she was not hurt. I managed to jury-rig the
stem so we could get the bike home, but it's definitely trash now.

My question: Aside from the fact that I should be ****ed to the gills at
Specialized for almost causing serious injury to my wife, do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

(I am glad that no one was hurt.)

Are you entitled to a warranty replacement? That depends on the terms
of the product warranty. I do think - under the circumstances - they
would probably be glad replace the broken part, although I don't think
pre-emptively blaming them for "almost causing serious injury" is
helpful, especially after acknowledging that you knew it was "one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems" that you would not have
considered sufficiently robust for more extensive use.

Old September 8th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Papa Tom wrote:
We bought my wife a brand new Specialized hybrid in 2006. It's got one of
those crappy adjustable handlebar stems that are common on department store
bikes. I figured it would be fine for her, as she doesn't ride all that
much. Today, on the far end of a five-mile ride, a little piece snapped
inside and she lost control of the bike. Fortunately, it was as she was
just getting on and beginning to roll - not while she was cruising along the
expressway service road - so she was not hurt. I managed to jury-rig the
stem so we could get the bike home, but it's definitely trash now.

My question: Aside from the fact that I should be ****ed to the gills at
Specialized for almost causing serious injury to my wife, do you think I am
entitled to a warranty replacement?

---------------
If you're asking if they'll replace the stem, why would want them to.
If you've already determined that it is dangerous, just buy something
that isn't dangerous.

I once got a seatpost from Performance (some goofy brand they had that
no longer exists), and the clamp bolt broke and the saddle came lose. I
examined the bolt and it was hollow, one of those stupid weight saving
things that I always steer away from if I can now. But the threads were
unique so you had to use their bolt. So guess what, I got another
seatpost from them on warranty, and guess what, it happened again, so it
ruined two rides. Then I just went down, and bought a seatpost that
would work, the hell with the warranty.
Old September 8th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

(From the original poster)

I just spoke with a very helpful rep at Specialized and he has pledged to do
all he can to get me a brand new RIGID stem. I only hope it's the exact
same angle as the factory default for the adjustable one.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

REI Warranty Frank Drackman Techniques 43 December 6th 07 02:07 AM
KH 20 --- Warranty? Riles Unicycling 19 July 15th 07 05:36 AM
Warranty question? Jane UK 5 September 25th 06 10:53 AM
KH Warranty? terrybigwheel Unicycling 5 June 13th 06 01:53 AM
New Bike Warranty Alan UK 3 February 5th 04 09:17 AM