putting fenders on my bike

Old September 9th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default putting fenders on my bike

On Aug 31, 4:02 am, Woland99 wrote:
It keeps raining in Texas - and precisely when I have window in my
day when I can ride. Got tired and decided to adopt rain or shine
riding policy. One of the professors I knew at Mathematics Dept
at UT used to commute on bike (65+ yo) every day of the year -
except those 2 days every couple of years when we get freezing rain.

But I digress.

Getting wet mud-butt from riding in rain is not my idea of fun so I
bought somefenders. Full size SKS P45fenders. I ride touring
bike - steel frame, 36 spokes, wide MTB gearing - all chosen to
support all those extra pounds I carry. But I took off the rack from
it - and I just pretend it is a road bike - even though that illusion
comes crashing down every time I struggle to keep 8pmh speed on
some some hill and I hear "on your left" and another skinny roadie
is passing me and flying up that hill as if we were on flats.

So now when I put thosefenderson I won't even be able to keep
that illusion when I am riding alone - every time I will look down
and see thosefenders- it will say "you are riding a touring bike,
fat man". I guess that means I may as well put that rack back on
and embrace the touring/commuter image - start going grocery
shopping on a bike, get a Grateful Dead t-shirt and become one
car-less bike-zealots. Not sure I am ready for this.

Anyways - it is not really a question - I am just think loud at
4 o'clock in the morning.

Well - I ended up with SKS Blades XL fenders:
http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l...t&i=5289300000
Easy to mount and remove - if I get a dedicated road/racing
bike I will be able to use that for that bike and start using
my Randonee as touring/commuting bike and get full size fenders
for it then. Seems like reasonable compromise. But I have to say
Randonee with few accessories looks very cool - I may even put
the rack (gasp!) back on it.
Altho after all this talk about UTE, Smoke and Africabike I
realized I do have a perfect grocery shopping bike - old Novarra
Viaggio - used to commute on it - has rack and fenders abd it
definitely is not a thief magnet. I lent it to a friend and almost
forgot about it.