Question on helium regarding inflation

Old January 15th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tobbogonist

Default Question on helium regarding inflation

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether inflating a tyre with
helium would make any difference on the over all performace or if it is
even possible. I would think helium is not 'light enough' to warrant
any difference in weight etc.

Yet the child-like logic that has been bestowed in me by picture books
and cartoons lead me to express my curiousity

--
tobbogonist

'Corn Cam' (http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/corn_cam/)

Yelling: 'Where's me faber castels?'

monkeyman wrote:
It's fun to run around, pumping a shotgun, and shooting at your
friends.

Check this ^^guys^^ bag before he goes to school.
tobbogonist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12176

Old January 15th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lukkyjay

There isn't enough volume in a uni tire to make any significant
difference in its weight. Also, Helium atoms are the second
smallest--and are likely to speed their way through the sides of the
tube and tire during the course of your ride.

--
lukkyjay

john_childs wrote:
Beer brewed with some marijuana will get you high hops.

~''~ unicycle for 'Flying Spaghetti Monster'
(http://www.venganza.org/) ~''~
lukkyjay's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13562

Old January 15th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tobbogonist

Borgschulze wrote:
Hey.. put credit where credit is due.

well you did not actually ask the question, you just had a wise crack
at why someones uni is so light.

But yes Mr Borgschulze was the inspiration behind this thread.

Old January 15th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

I think this was discussed a couple of years ago.

My opinion - a tire would not hold enough volume of helium to make any
significant difference in weight.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old January 15th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

see my response in 'how heavy is your uni?' thread

--
kington99

Dave

Old January 15th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
benjaug

Theoretically, if you had a big enough tire, you could "float" when you
hopped...

--
benjaug

'My wicked awesome gallery' (www.youtube.com/user/benjaug)
unidude3 (at) yahoo (dot) com
benjaug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11229

Old January 16th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chris.James

benjaug wrote:
Theoretically, if you had a big enough tire, you could "float" when you
hopped...

theoretically yes, but completely impossible, your weight plus the
weight of the rubber would be impossible for the helium to make up for.

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

S_Wallis wrote:
I will be looking forward to the butt-lip photos.

Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Old January 16th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

tobbogonist wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether inflating a tyre with
helium would make any difference on the over all performace or if it is
even possible. I would think helium is not 'light enough' to warrant
any difference in weight etc.

Yet the child-like logic that has been bestowed in me by picture books
and cartoons lead me to express my curiousity

As another poster says, I'd expect the tyre to go flat *really*
quickly. Helium is very good at finding its way out of things - this
is why (I think) helium balloons are usually all metal coated. If
they're just rubber, the helium leaks out *through* the rubber really
quickly.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Old January 16th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
twerpy

Whilst this is somethings of a stab in the dark I'm thinking that as the
helium atoms are less dense and therefore further apart the tyre may
compress more when you hop/ride/whatever so more prone to hitting the
rim. Probably not enough volume to make a difference but you never
know.

--
twerpy
twerpy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13262

Old January 16th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

mark williamson wrote:
Helium is very good at finding its way out of things - this is why (I
think) helium balloons are usually all metal coated. If they're just
rubber, the helium leaks out *through* the rubber really quickly.

Another not-particularly-scientific response: while the idea of helium
being small and likely to leak makes sense, my experience with rubber
party balloons is that either helium or air will leak through, and I've
not noticed a significant difference in time between them.

As is seeming quite agreed, the 'lift' gained would not be of a useful
or even detectable amount. Think how much a helium balloon can lift
from the ground? Only a few tens of grams per balloon. I once spent
hours at home after going to a fair trying to create equilibrium with a
balloon, and all it needed was a small paper 'basket' with some extra
paper in to fine-tune the weight. Those wacky types who go flying with
balloons tied to a chair have thousands of them!

Sam

--
redwelly

"Sometimes you feel like pizza, somethings you feel like chocolate,
sometimes you feel like throwing up, so it's really nice to be able to
pick and choose." - Ken Looi, -GizmoDuck-
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

Question on helium regarding inflation Borgschulze Unicycling 0 January 15th 07 09:45 PM
FS:NEW Mavic Helium Tubulars And Used Mavic Helium and Shimano Clinchers [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 15th 05 01:06 AM
CO2 Inflation Systems Cino1947 Techniques 4 October 17th 04 02:57 PM
Tire Inflation Question Tom Australia 4 August 19th 04 05:54 AM
tyre inflation Paul Stevenson UK 50 September 30th 03 07:29 PM