Cause of Brazil crash?

Old July 19th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

Default Cause of Brazil crash?

excerpts:

According to the Brazilian press the runway was recently reopened after
repairs but had not yet been "grooved", a measure that helps pilots reduce a
plane's speed.

In an interview with radio station CBN one unidentified TAM pilot said he
believed the unfinished repairs had contributed to the accident. "During
landings in heavy rain it is just like driving a car and feeling it skidding
on the road. Grooving is not a prerequisite but it is an item of security."

Talk to any commercial pilot off the record and he'll tell you that the
runway is dangerous and that in the rain it becomes slippery."
------------
runways, and streets are all slippery when it rains, so I don't think this
was the cause. My theory is the tires were worn down too much. Obviously
airliners are expected to land in rain, and I'm sure they are suppose to
have tires that can handle the rain. I saw a car on time do a whole 360
when it started to rain. When I got next to him I could see his tires were
completely worn into slicks. They won't ever know because I'm sure the
tires melted in the fire. But a second thought it could be the surface, I
think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
on.

Old July 19th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

Callistus Valerius wrote:

runways, and streets are all slippery when it rains, so I don't think this
was the cause. My theory is the tires were worn down too much. Obviously
airliners are expected to land in rain, and I'm sure they are suppose to
have tires that can handle the rain. I saw a car on time do a whole 360
when it started to rain. When I got next to him I could see his tires were
completely worn into slicks. They won't ever know because I'm sure the
tires melted in the fire. But a second thought it could be the surface, I
think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
on.

Early reports said that it's a little too short to land large planes on
in the rain. This came from a safety review of the airport, but the
runway was reopened in February anyway.

But can you race on it?
Old July 19th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Krusty

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:01:00 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

But a second thought it could be the surface, I
think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
on.

I have no idea what caused the crash...but speaking of metal surfaces,
have you ever been to a go-kart track that has metal corners? Its
like riding in the snow/ice...especially when they take the extra step
of sprinkling talcum powder on those metal corners in between heats.

any unicyclists in brazil? sebbew Unicycling 4 May 11th 06 01:44 AM
First '360° Unispin' in Brazil?! zaro Unicycling 34 May 5th 06 04:51 AM
Bus Bike in Brazil Eric General 0 February 18th 06 11:11 PM
Bents in Brazil [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 September 3rd 05 12:22 AM
Bents in Brazil Robert L Bass Recumbent Biking 0 August 15th 05 05:31 AM