Drilled Rims suck?!

Old July 9th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vanpaun

Default Drilled Rims suck?!

Why get a drilled rim, It's lighter. Or so you thought.

::Nimbus 24-inch Muni Rim(Undrilled)-*790 g
*::::
Kris Holm 24-inch- Freeride- Rim(Undrilled)-::::**-**544.3 g

**::::Kris Holm 24-inch Mountain Rim (Drilled)-::*::694 g::

*The Nimbus rim is the heaviest. The DRILLED KH RIM is next, then the
lightest rim is the UNDRILLED KH RIM! Okay, now I realize the KH
drilled rim is .5 cm wider. But it is drilled the **** out of. Why is
it so much heavier than its undrilled brother? So what I am saying is,
weight freaks, please put down the power drill! how much good does .5
cm really do? All in all, I guess what I'm saying is Why would you get
a KH drilled rim? No offence to KH himself, I just don't get it.

--
vanpaun

'sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'Ride Idiot Ride' (http://tinyurl.com/3tv4cl)

glen wrote:
I was referring more specifically to throwing circles at people...I
should have been more explicit.

Old July 9th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycledood

Yeah drilled rims arn't great. My drilled rim got a lot of small cracks
within the first few months that I got it and eventually a nice flat
spot.

I'm using my old kh rim now.

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.

Old July 9th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

I don't believe the Nimbus 24 and 26 inch rim both weigh 790g
(27.9ounces), the 24 inch must be lighter.

jim

--
Jim
Old July 9th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Wider rims are drilled so that they're lighter than they would be, not
necessarily so that they're lighter than narrower rims. Personally,
I'm sticking with my undrilled KH 24 rim because it's lighter, and I
don't feel like I need a wider rim.

--
phlegm
Old July 9th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

If you're drilling holes in stuff to lighten it up, it can be deceptive
how little you're actually lightening it.

--
StephenH
Old July 9th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

Um, you're comparing apples and oranges. Why don't you post weights of
the same rim, undrilled and drilled. That'd actually be useful
information.

Unless you have evidence (other than anecdotal) that drilled rims
aren't worth riding on, why are you proclaiming they "suck"? Does
"suck" imply weakness, lack of value or lack of durability? Could you
possibly be any more specific?

Or are you just here to complain about something without presenting a
coherent reason?

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old July 10th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

maestro - posts before he reads.

I just had to open the 'read post' thing, cause ijust had to see how he
acted to this.

yeah, its a weird thing that the rims heavier. kinda screwy.

--
unibikeling

'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

beeper wrote:
you sir, are unrealistic

Emile.m wrote:
Today I finished 4th grade

Skrobo wrote:
Shut up now, your clogging my brain with question marks.

Old July 10th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

Drilled is lighter. This isn't disputable. Given the same rim, when you
remove material, it's lighter.

There are a number of reasons why one rim would be heavier than
another. One reason is width. 5mm may not seem like much, but that's
over 10%, which IS significant, and you will notice it in your ride.

Another reason, is that the wall thickness could be greater, providing
MORE strength, perhaps even after drilling.

You're certainly entitled to your preference of a narrower, lighter
rim, probably with thinner walls, but that doesn't mean that drilled
rims "suck"

vanpaun wrote:
Why get a drilled rim, It's lighter. Or so you thought.

::Nimbus 24-inch Muni Rim(Undrilled)-*790 g
*::::
Kris Holm 24-inch- Freeride- Rim(Undrilled)-::::**-**544.3 g

**::::Kris Holm 24-inch Mountain Rim (Drilled)-::*::694 g::

*The Nimbus rim is the heaviest. The DRILLED KH RIM is next, then the
lightest rim is the UNDRILLED KH RIM! Okay, now I realize the KH
drilled rim is .5 cm wider. But it is drilled the **** out of. Why is
it so much heavier than its undrilled brother? So what I am saying is,
weight freaks, please put down the power drill! how much good does .5
cm really do? All in all, I guess what I'm saying is Why would you get
a KH drilled rim? No offence to KH himself, I just don't get it.

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha

Old July 10th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vanpaun

thanks for that great post! that makes 5mm huge. I kinda get it, but I
still feel that an undrilled will be stronger, even if 10% less wide.
Even in the description its called his strongest 24 rim.