putting fenders on my bike

Old August 31st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default putting fenders on my bike

On Aug 31, 9:56*am, Woland99 wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:08 am, landotter wrote:

On Aug 31, 4:02 am, Woland99 wrote:

It keeps raining in Texas - and precisely when I have window in my
day when I can ride. Got tired and decided to adopt rain or shine
riding policy. One of the professors I knew at Mathematics Dept
at UT used to commute on bike (65+ yo) every day of the year -
except those 2 days every couple of years when we get freezing rain.

But I digress.

Getting wet mud-butt from riding in rain is not my idea of fun so I
bought some fenders. Full size SKS P45 fenders. I ride touring
bike - steel frame, 36 spokes, wide MTB gearing - all chosen to
support all those extra pounds I carry. But I took off the rack from
it - and I just pretend it is a road bike - even though that illusion
comes crashing down every time I struggle to keep 8pmh speed on
some some hill and I hear "on your left" and another skinny roadie
is passing me and flying up that hill as if we were on flats.

How the fark can you stay fat if ya ride?? My fixed gear finally got a
bit of a workout last night as I searched for an elusive alley cat
race I found out about too late in the game--but I've been getting my
riding in mostly on da Dew--a 29 pound fendered, double racked,
belled--defacto touring rig--with kickstand, and I'm on belt notch
zero. 200 miles a week of inspired shopping and other types of
screwing around. About to head out old Natchez Trace on it with some
sammies and maybe even a bath towel in hopes that the old rope swing
is there to dunk in the Harpeth River!

Ride, eat, ride. There's a diet plan that works for most of us.

Thanks Brother Otter - you radiate true wisdom (as always).
Well here what it really was - I am reading Mike Magnusson tour
de obsession "Heft on Wheels". Quite enjoyable and loaded in self
deprecating humour. Then I noticed how really hard it is for me
to put those damn fenders on - and clinging to silly image.
So I wrote that message.
BTW - weight was dropping but I got sick in the end of July
and did not ride very much until this week - and now, armed
with Mike's example I will start riding 250mile weeks and eat
2 or 3 protein shakes and starve myself 70 pounds down.

Don't starve, just ride. Yesterday evening before the alley cat race I
got a good twenty in on a ride across town to look at fishing tackle
as I'm thinking about maybe doing some ultralight bike fishing! When
in doubt, ride. It's not about the food, it's about the miles. Not the
bike either.
Old August 31st 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Aug 31, 10:23 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 8/31/2008 2:02 AM Woland99 wrote:

[...]

So now when I put those fenders on I won't even be able to keep
that illusion when I am riding alone - every time I will look down
and see those fenders - it will say "you are riding a touring bike,
fat man". I guess that means I may as well put that rack back on
and embrace the touring/commuter image - start going grocery
shopping on a bike, get a Grateful Dead t-shirt and become one
car-less bike-zealots. Not sure I am ready for this.

Anyways - it is not really a question - I am just think loud at
4 o'clock in the morning.

Ignore the peanut gallery. Many lose weight when they add riding to their
daily routine, some (take me) do not. It helps us maintain, rather than
"reduce" (as my mother would have put it). When roadies with their 20-inch
hips blow past me I like to consider that they're having fun, I'm having
fun; you're fetching groceries, they can't carry squat on their bikes. Put
fenders, wings, spinners, banners and/or squeeze-bulb horns on the bike if
ya want or need to. Zealotry is optional.

--a
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

I must admit (as I explain earlier) that biking at times now feel like
a job. I still have fun doing it but I sometimes get stressed because
I know that I will have hard time getting better time. I guess that I
need a trainer in my garage and portable DVD player and all TdF DVDs
I can find...
But seriously - I so did not want to put those fenders on that I
almost bought one of the "amsterdam" or "townie" type of Electras.
With such bike I would add Buddhist prayer flag, mill and a djembe
without any problem.
Old August 31st 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 31, 8:08*am, " wrote:

Hey, you just CAN'T lose when you have all that crap on your bike.

You'll be dry, comfortable and can get your groceries.

Then, if you can't keep pace with the 'young studs', they'll
understand because of all the junk you have on your bike.

If you do happen to be able to keep up with them (and maybe even pass
one of them) they'll think you are the 'stud of studs' because of all
the junk you have on your bike. *:-)

And your bike's happier when it's got fenders!

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Practic...yofFenders.htm

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:

Don't starve, just ride. Yesterday evening before the alley cat race I
got a good twenty in on a ride across town to look at fishing tackle
as I'm thinking about maybe doing some ultralight bike fishing!...

So you hang out on the overpass and snag the bikes of roadies as they go
by below?

Which bait is better, Gu or Powerbars?

“are there stones on distant mountain decents marking the gored and
deceased? arms and wrists broken ?
or is this unreported?” - gene daniels
Old August 31st 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
[...]

Discard your cyclometer or at least put it in your sock draw until you
reach a point where it doesn't depress you. Make rides about
excursions, not times. Don't repeat routes so you don't have
expectations of how long they should take. Ride more. Bring a banana.

I'm kittin' up and out...

Old August 31st 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 31, 8:48*am, "Pat" wrote:
Hey, you just CAN'T lose when you have all that crap on your bike.

You'll be dry, comfortable and can get your groceries.

Then, if you can't keep pace with the 'young studs', they'll
understand because of all the junk you have on your bike.

If you do happen to be able to keep up with them (and maybe even pass
one of them) they'll think you are the 'stud of studs' because of all
the junk you have on your bike. *:-)

Lewis.

Shhh! I'm still trying to figure out where it's raining in Texas!

Pat in TX

Well it certainly isn't in Benbrook. :-(

Lewis.

*****
Old August 31st 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

Woland99 wrote:
Somehow when I came back to cycling 9 months
ago I decided to do it scientifically - bought GPS cycloputer and
started keeping logs and averages. And all that is fun when you are
moving forward. But I was sick for a month - did not ride, some weight
crept back and suddenly OMG! my usual after-work 20miles took 5mins
longer than usual and 10mins longer than best time.... And now those
fenders threaten to rob me from whatever is left from that image of
me getting better on bike...

If you are biking strictly for exercise or recreation, and you are
getting tired of it, then I predict that you will stop altogether within
a year. There is only so much motivation to go around.

I hate to exercise. I know that if I took up jogging, it would be very
hard for me to get up and "just do it."

If, however, you change your attitude toward bikes, and start using your
bike for more than a feeble attempt at weight control, working it into
your lifestyle, then you could be cycling every single day 20 years from
now. You would no more think about how hard it is than you would think
about how hard it is to breath.
Old August 31st 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 8/31/2008 9:23 AM landotter wrote:

Discard your cyclometer or at least put it in your sock draw until you
reach a point where it doesn't depress you. Make rides about
excursions, not times. Don't repeat routes so you don't have
expectations of how long they should take. Ride more. Bring a banana.

And a bandanna. Can't never go wrong with a colorful bandanna.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old August 31st 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Woland99 wrote:

[...]

Put on the racks and some open nylon pannier type carriers.
Bell, lights, pinwheel, ...
Then get a second bicycle.

The great thing about running errands on a bicycle is
not having to find somewhere to park a car.

--
Michael Press