Presta to Schrader

Old September 5th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Presta to Schrader

wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:

* On that note, I notice a lot of CO2 cartridges lying along roads, so
pumping seems no longer
popular in this affluent time.

*
This report amazes. Do good places to ride so much resemble shooting
galleries and back-alley brothels, littered with used needles and
condoms? Lots of CO2 cartridges? Has this thing for super-thin and
flat-vulnerable lightweight tires gone too far?

incredulous

it shouldn't be a problem to pick up your trash/ leave no trace

Tell that to the tools who scatter their goo packets at random.
Jerks. Why don't y'all use those stupid pockets on the tails of your
stupid shirts to pack out your damn trash?

Chalo
Old September 5th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Colina wrote:

I've been riding Presta valves for more years than most wreck.bike
readers can imagine and never had a failure other than stem
separations during the year when they were manufacturing defects.

I have broken off a small number of Presta stems while inflating
tires with a simple frame pump. That's never happened to me with a
Schrader valve, nor with any kind of pump that connects by way of a
hose. I have also observed quite a few bent and broken center bolts
on Presta valves, and Schrader valves are immune to this.

I take it you never got introduced to proper use of such a pump and
that's what caused most Presta valve stem failures. The proper way to
do that is to grasp the handle in one hand while holding the pump head
in the other with the thumb over the tire. Pumping force is between
the hands with the valve stem "floating".

Failure occurs when users hold the tire and pump against the valve
stem.

Schrader valves are simply better, which is why they are used on
many different kinds of equipment. That said, most of my 26" and
700c wheeled bikes have Presta-drilled rims which I tolerate for the
sake of rim strength.

Watch out for sentences that contain "the fact that" or "simply".
Both are begging the question. Let's establish what the cause of
failure is and why one is better than the other, rather than relegate
it to proven.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 5th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Colina wrote:

On that note, I notice a lot of CO2 cartridges lying along roads,
so pumping seems no longer popular in this affluent time.

This report amazes. Do good places to ride so much resemble
shooting galleries and back-alley brothels, littered with used
needles and condoms? Lots of CO2 cartridges? Has this thing for
super-thin and flat-vulnerable lightweight tires gone too far?

incredulous

it shouldn't be a problem to pick up your trash/ leave no trace

Tell that to the tools who scatter their goo packets at random.
Jerks. Why don't y'all use those stupid pockets on the tails of
your stupid shirts to pack out your damn trash?

These same folks also make certain that their banana peels lie on the
road rather than toss them off into the weeds, and they leave their
punctured inner tubes ON the road as well. I have a collection of
700x18 tubes from the road.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 5th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:

I've been riding Presta valves for more years than most wreck.bike
readers can imagine and never had a failure other than stem
separations during the year when they were manufacturing defects.

I have broken off a small number of Presta stems while inflating
tires with a simple frame pump. *That's never happened to me with a
Schrader valve, nor with any kind of pump that connects by way of a
hose. *I have also observed quite a few bent and broken center bolts
on Presta valves, and Schrader valves are immune to this.

I take it you never got introduced to proper use of such a pump and
that's what caused most Presta valve stem failures. *The proper way to
do that is to grasp the handle in one hand while holding the pump head
in the other with the thumb over the tire. *

Try it with a 2.6" knobby on a relatively deep section rim and see if
that method does not have to be modified somewhat. I don't run tires
narrow enough that the technique you describe would afford a good grip
on the pump head. Instead, I have to cradle the pump head underneath
the rim and push against that hand while trying to minimize motion
with respect to the wheel.

Pumping force is between
the hands with the valve stem "floating".

Failure occurs when users hold the tire and pump against the valve
stem.

I have never broken one that way. But I have pumped up a lot of high-
pressure tires, or fat tires that required countless strokes, on heavy
wheels that provided plenty of reaction mass to resist small movements
of the pump head across the plane of the wheel. In a few cases, the
valves broke off. That's never happened to me with a Schrader valve
despite having been faced with the same circumstances otherwise.

Chalo
Old September 5th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 5, 7:37*am, wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
[...]

While I'd love to come over with my looking glass and bottle of brandy
to browse your no-doubt expertly mounted collection--alas--I live in a
civilized area free from too many roadies where I can ride near all
day and only see one or two fellow cyclist out in the countryside.

Here's a picture about thirty miles from the city center. Don't mind
the graffiti tags--it's just from hoodlums passing through--I doubt
it's cattle folk and horse people battling over turf:

http://i33.tinypic.com/4jx4qh.jpg

When everybody moves to paradise--and the banana peels and junk pile
up--is it paradise?

PS--I've never seen a gu packet on the ground around here, just horse
poop.

PSS, closer to town, we have the essentials, taco stands, dildo shops,
and tire repair.
Old September 5th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 5, 4:18*pm, landotter wrote:

I live in a
civilized area free from too many roadies where I can ride near all
day and only see one or two fellow cyclist out in the countryside.

Here's a picture about thirty miles from the city center.

Shh, man! Are you mad to tell everyone about it? They'll all move
there and turn your landscape into New York, and sit on your seat on
the pavement before the dildo shop, and commit other ignorant
impertinences.

Andre Jute
Country conservation for country people. All we want from city folk is
to pay for it and to stay away.
Old September 8th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mister2u

On Sep 4, 1:23*pm, Hank wrote:
On Sep 4, 9:24*am, Mister2u wrote:

I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)

I would dispute both of these premises. More available from Wal-Mart,
certainly. But not cheaper. And more reliable only in the sense of a
more reliable supply of compressed air.

I'll define reliability this way I've noticed that the valves seem to
tear easily for no apparent
reason
Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle

file
advisable?

Most people use a 21/64" drill bit. If it's a narrow rim (say, 20mm
external) I wouldn't recommend it. If it's 22 or so, you should be
fine.

Great
Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?

700c and 27" use the same tubes.

Thanks

Good luck!

Thank you