Midsummer Rohloff Speedhub 14 madness

Old September 8th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Midsummer Rohloff Speedhub 14 madness

On Sep 8, 2:10*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
I'm not cheap. Just poor.

Book royalties and editing fees not very financially rewarding?

Not that poor, thanks (1). Not if I can buy a hub for well over a
thousand dollars, plus about that much again in other components and
labour, merely for an experiment that after a couple more iterations I
shall probably drop. What makes the Rohloff attractive for my geribike
is that it offers two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half gears below the
Nexus types to compensate for the total lack of climbing ability of
the crankforward footonthefloor designs. Those extra gears are a bit
imprecise as I'm making a comparison between 37mm tyres on the Nexus
with 60mm Big Apples on the Rohloff (it's what fits the frames I'm
working with), and is further confused by the manufacturers' different
torque limits, sprocket availability, and availability of Hebie
Chaingliders for sprocket/chainwheel combinations. (Anyone who makes a
geribike which puts oil on Aunt Aggie's smart stocking deserves to be
clipped in the ear with her handbag.)

As I say, an iteration or two to work out some stuff in my mind, and
then I'll shelve it. I'm not old enough to need a geribike myself and
I don't want to go to the bother of licensing whatever I come up with,
which thus far is depressingly traditional. The modern bike is the
shape it is for a good reason!

Maybe my own next bike will be Rohloff-equipped.

Andre Jute
More poormouthed than poor

(1) Lot of people in my family are farmers, or at least landowners.
One uncle would sit on his sun porch, looking out on his own land from
horizon to horizon, all of it green with wheat or barley or grass on
which his sheep and cattle grazed, and beyond the horizons were his
sons' equally rich and well managed lands. "Aah," he would sigh, "I
don't know where my next meal is coming from." As a boy, not
understanding that whining is the natural mode of farmers, I made a
terrible mistake. "But, sir," I said earnestly, "you have just
finished an unhealthily large breakfast, and your wife and three
servants are in the kitchen preparing a large lunch, and I see the
slaughterman approach, so tonight you will eat pork." At this point he
clipped me in the ear.

Old September 8th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

and is further confused by the manufacturers' different
torque limits

For a proper "geribike" you can definitely go out of spec on them,
potentially by quite a way depending on rider.

Old September 8th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default OT - Building Materials

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

[...]
Hmm. I'm sure a plastic box makes a watertight, durable and long lasting
home. It doesn't mean I want to live in one.

Correct. For reasons related to scale, durability, and other engineering
considerations, the box you live in is probably made of wood or
steel-reinforced concrete. It may feature a plastic veneer, though.

Or steel framed if it is a taller apartment building or condominium.

Rammed-earth, straw, straw-reinforced mud, and brick are other possible
building materials, as is simple concrete block.
[...]

In any areas with potential for seismic activity (such as the Pacific
Northwest), masonry walls will have reinforcing steel and the internal
spaces in the blocks will be filled with a sand-Portland cement grout.

There was much unnecessary loss of life in the Manjil-Rudbar Earthquake of
1990 in Iran due to the prevalence of unreinforced masonry construction.

Fortunately no earthquakes here, so my unreinforced masonry house is just
fine. And has been since before the USA :-)

Old September 9th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Clive George" wrote:

[...]

Well, horses for courses, as they say. I find the not-uncommon use of
stucco as an exterior material locally both aesthetically and
practically curious (this is a temperate rainforest, after all, not the
US sunbelt). But nobody's crazy enough to build unreinforced masonry
here.

Of course, I'm pretty sure it's against code, too,

RR: Midsummer Madness Tim Hall UK 6 June 23rd 06 03:23 PM
Rohloff Speedhub Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 8 June 22nd 05 05:42 PM
Midsummer Madness - Tuesday am John Hearns UK 0 June 20th 05 06:09 PM
Midsummer Madness John Hearns UK 5 June 9th 05 11:41 AM
Rohloff Speedhub Derk Techniques 54 November 25th 04 01:24 AM