Replacing handlebar grips

Old September 9th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

Default Replacing handlebar grips

Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?
Old September 9th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
agcou[_4_]

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:26:06 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?

take the bars off and place in freezer for a few moments. and no, you dont
have to worry about being tempted to huff freon unless your freezer is an
older model. anyway, the metal bars will contract inward while the rubber
grips will expand outward. the grips will fall off in your hands, and
youll wonder why you trolled your question here
Old September 9th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

agcou wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:26:06 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?

take the bars off and place in freezer for a few moments. and no, you dont
have to worry about being tempted to huff freon unless your freezer is an
older model. anyway, the metal bars will contract inward while the rubber
grips will expand outward. the grips will fall off in your hands, and
youll wonder why you trolled your question here

Not trolling. Just trying to get my grips to stick better.
Old September 9th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
agcou[_4_]

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:59:33 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Not trolling. Just trying to get my grips to stick better.

aren't you the guy with the cassette cogs eating into the freehub body?
do you think separating the sprockets so that there is lower load
distribution and higher point stress concentration is going to hinder or
help that happening?
Old September 9th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

agcou wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:59:33 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Not trolling. Just trying to get my grips to stick better.

aren't you the guy with the cassette cogs eating into the freehub body?
do you think separating the sprockets so that there is lower load
distribution and higher point stress concentration is going to hinder or
help that happening?

jim beam?

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old September 9th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

agcou wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:59:33 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Not trolling. Just trying to get my grips to stick better.

aren't you the guy with the cassette cogs eating into the freehub body?
do you think separating the sprockets so that there is lower load
distribution and higher point stress concentration is going to hinder or
help that happening?

Not me. I tried letting dish soap dry, but it didn't work.
Old September 9th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 8, 9:26*pm, Eric Vey wrote:
Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?

Rubbing alcohol to slide them on. When it evaporates, stuck.
Old September 9th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

agcou wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:26:06 -0400, Eric Vey wrote:

Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?

take the bars off and place in freezer for a few moments. and no, you dont
have to worry about being tempted to huff freon unless your freezer is an
older model. anyway, the metal bars will contract inward while the rubber
grips will expand outward. the grips will fall off in your hands, and
youll wonder why you trolled your question here

I've ridden lots in temps below freezer settings. Grips never loosened.
Old September 9th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Eric Vey wrote:
Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

Any other ideas?

I've tried a lot of things, from rubber cement to contact cement.
Hairspray actually worked better than most. What I'd try first is to get
the inside of the grips and bars really clean. I like rubbing alcohol
for that, it allows the grips to slide on also. A problem with all
(solvent) glues is they can take a long time to dry. I have one bike
where nothing worked, I wound up using locking grips.
Old September 10th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Eric Vey:
Sorry, no hairspray in the house.
When I was a kid, rubber cement was the thing rumored to work.

For removal or attachment?

For removal, I quirt a little rubbing alcohol in whatever bit I
can pry up and then massage until it's loose. Only a few
seconds. Water probably works too, but I use alcohol.

For attachment, I use nothing. Just a little rubbing alcohol to
slide them in place, then overnite to dry.
--
PeteCresswell