The Cylists' Substitute List

Old June 18th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The Cylists' Substitute List

Though i don't mind spending for bicycle components that really matter
(though even so I always ask first if the Shimano part won't do the
job), I seriously resent the price of a lot of gear where I'm clearly
being asked to pay for someone else's marketing (and expense
accounts). It's a pretty common complaint here on RBT that cycling is
seen as an elite activity that the marketers can sock as they wouldn't
dare try to rip a common everyday activity. As an example, an Electra
city bike cost a quarter more than a better Dutch city bike the last
time I made the comparison.

But there are ways to fight back. For instance, there is gear that one
can import from other activities that does as well as cycle-specific
gear and costs a fraction of the price. I think we should have a list.
I'll start it:

GOGGLES
Cycling goggles are overpriced because they're seen as fashion goods
for high spenders. But a pair of cheap dime-store safety goggles do
the job of keeping the wind out of your eyes just as well, last just
as long, and are so cheap that they can be chucked away at the first
sign of a scratch. I recommend the Black Spur Brand.

PACLITE JACKETS
Horridly expensive and they get very little wear. And most of them
don't breathe as promised. I've had several expensive ones and found
them all crap. I now have one that I paid fifteen bucks for at a
department store sale and which I aerated under the styling flaps with
the paper punch from my desk. It has lasted longer than any of the
others, breathes better, keeps the wind off better, looks smarter when
I have to get off the bike, and cost less than a tenth of some others
not half as good.

PADDED LONG WINTER CYCLING TROUSERS
Lidl (a German supermarket that two or three times a year offer
cycling gear as their weekly promotional special) sold one for sixteen
bucks that had nylon down the front to under the knee to keep wind and
rain off, and the rest breathes at least as well as some i have that
cost five or six times that, and doesn't catch me behind the knee
either.

VELOMANN TOOLKIT
This is a complete bicycle toolkit in a sturdy plastic briefcase,
decent quality tools. I've seen it advertised for up to 130 Euro and
paid 70 Euro for my own on sale in Germany. Lidl sold the exact same
kit (not with the Velomann name on it though) last year for 20 Euro.

****

You're cordially invited to add to this list of good-value substitutes
and/or the right goodies at the right price.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old June 18th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andre Jute wrote:

I seriously resent the price of a lot of gear where I'm clearly
being asked to pay for someone else's marketing (and expense

good post!!!!
Old June 18th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:33:40 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Sounds like proper cycling tights.

VELOMANN TOOLKIT
This is a complete bicycle toolkit in a sturdy plastic briefcase,
decent quality tools. I've seen it advertised for up to 130 Euro and
paid 70 Euro for my own on sale in Germany. Lidl sold the exact same
kit (not with the Velomann name on it though) last year for 20 Euro.

That one's been out there under a number of different brands stamped on the
handles. Mine says "Lifu" I think. Most are okay for those of us who do once in
awhile jobs. The chaintool is inadequate and the spoke wrench a bit sloppy. But
I already had those.
Old June 18th 09, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andre Jute wrote:

You're cordially invited to add to this list of good-value substitutes
and/or the right goodies at the right price.

I like goatskin work gloves for riding. They are not less expensive
than basic mesh-backed weightlifting gloves, but they are more
versatile, and they break in to fit instead of becoming sacked out
like meshback gloves. They are a lot less expensive than cycling
gloves.

For cycling shoes, I substitute shoes. They are far more comfortable,
durable, versatile, attractive and inexpensive.

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans ( http://www.sportbeans.com ), I eat food. It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

Chalo
Old June 18th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

RonSonic wrote:
[...]

Cycling glasses are a rip. I wear corrective lenses and cycling versions
are even worse. I don't find wraparounds to be necessary most of the
time, but they can be helpful on long windy rides. I order mine direct
from China, that's where they all come from now anyway, it's dumb to pay
the middleman's markups.

I've stopped wearing cycling jackets (except rain jackets) for years
now. They just trap sweat.

I wear stretch fleece tights and/or pants in the winter, never needed
wind blocking (sweat trapping) panels. For rain, I wear waterproof
knickers & latex shoe covers. I made the knockers from rain pants, the
shoe covers are industrial supply.

Tool kits may be a value if you don't have any tools. I prefer spending
more for a really good chain tool, BB tool(s), cone wrenches and spoke
wrenches. I made my chain whip.
Old June 18th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
You're cordially invited to add to this list of good-value substitutes
and/or the right goodies at the right price.

I like goatskin work gloves for riding. They are not less expensive
than basic mesh-backed weightlifting gloves, but they are more
versatile, and they break in to fit instead of becoming sacked out
like meshback gloves. They are a lot less expensive than cycling
gloves.

I've never had good luck with leather cycling gloves. I need to wash my
gloves fairly often and leather just doesn't like that. The synthetic
leather is good enough that I really can't tell the difference on the
palms, and they're so long wearing (even with washings) the fabric parts
go eventually. My current favorite full finger gloves are $5 mechanics
gloves. If I could find a way to remove the logos no one would be the wiser.

For cycling shoes, I substitute shoes. They are far more comfortable,
durable, versatile, attractive and inexpensive.

I have the opposite experience. I'll wear anything for short trips, but
for long ones my cycling shoes are much more comfortable.

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans ( http://www.sportbeans.com ), I eat food. It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

I couldn't agree more. My idea of cycling is enjoying the world in an
enhanced way via the senses, taste & smells are a big part of that.
Cycling picnics are the best as is alfresco dining. The thing I really
miss in the US (after some UK experiences) are pub gardens. This time of
the year we pretty much only go (ride) to restaurants with outside tables.
Old June 18th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Chalo wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

You're cordially invited to add to this list of good-value substitutes
and/or the right goodies at the right price.

I like goatskin work gloves for riding. They are not less expensive
than basic mesh-backed weightlifting gloves, but they are more
versatile, and they break in to fit instead of becoming sacked out
like meshback gloves. They are a lot less expensive than cycling
gloves.

For cycling shoes, I substitute shoes. They are far more comfortable,
durable, versatile, attractive and inexpensive.

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans ( http://www.sportbeans.com ), I eat food. It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

I am completely with you on the food issue. I remember looking at my "energy
bar" one day and seeing something like "11g Protein, 50g Carbohydrates" and
thinking it looked familiar. Next time I had a bagel instead. Old school cycling
chow back from the days before pseudoscientific prepackaged nutrition is simply
better. It tastes better, the body tolerates it better and it's neater.

Every time I open a Clif Bar I am reminded that the Plains Indians used dried
patties of buffalo dung as a fuel source.

Old June 18th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 18, 2:56*am, Chalo wrote:

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans (http://www.sportbeans.com), I eat food. *It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

I have and occassionally use Gu type products and Clif bars. But the
vast majority of the time I use granola bars for on the bike food.
Easy to carry in jersey pockets. And cheap. $0.20 per bar which
contains about 100 calories. Same as the Clif bars calorie wise but
they cost $0.50 or more per bar. Quaker brand granola bars since the
generic brands aren't as good. Pop Tarts are also fairly cheap
sources of calories, easy to carry, and have about 400 calories for
two bars.
Old June 18th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
On Jun 18, 2:56 am, Chalo wrote:

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans (
http://www.sportbeans.com), I eat food. It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

I have and occassionally use Gu type products and Clif bars. But the
vast majority of the time I use granola bars for on the bike food.
Easy to carry in jersey pockets. And cheap. $0.20 per bar which
contains about 100 calories. Same as the Clif bars calorie wise but
they cost $0.50 or more per bar. Quaker brand granola bars since the
generic brands aren't as good. Pop Tarts are also fairly cheap
sources of calories, easy to carry, and have about 400 calories for
two bars.

For cheap, portable and reasonably nutritious, it's hard to beat old
PB&J's. With good bread & jams, they can be pretty tasty, too. I really
don't understand people gulping down bars, gels and drinks, particularly
on short 30-40 mile rides. On the other hand, rides long enough that
hunger is an issue, getting 1,000 kcal (a meal) from that goop is just
grim. I don't see any of that stuff as food, including "granola" bars &
toaster tarts. I'd rather have a jelly donut, it's nutritionally
equivalent and tastes much better.
Old June 18th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 18, 8:56*am, Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

You're cordially invited to add to this list of good-value substitutes
and/or the right goodies at the right price.

I like goatskin work gloves for riding. *They are not less expensive
than basic mesh-backed weightlifting gloves, but they are more
versatile, and they break in to fit instead of becoming sacked out
like meshback gloves. *They are a lot less expensive than cycling
gloves.

I wear dress gloves in several weights of leather and lining according
to season. In the middle of the night when it is cold enough to wear a
padded leather jacket out cycling, I wear great big clumsy so-called
"Thinsulate" thermal gloves. In the summer I wear glassfibre knit
workman's gloves made by Mika (traffic-stopper yellow though I've
recently found some in green to match my bike) or cotton garden gloves
with rubber dots on the palms. I'll try goatskin. I have some thick
workman's leather gloves but I think they're just cow.

For cycling shoes, I substitute shoes. *They are far more comfortable,
durable, versatile, attractive and inexpensive.

Ditto.

Instead of bizarre calorie sources like "goo", Soylent bars, or Sport
Beans (http://www.sportbeans.com), I eat food. *It tastes better and
contains many kinds of nutrients, both fashionable and
unfashionable.

Ditto. My granny knew more about nutrition than the marketers who put
together that foul-tasting crap and sell it at a premium price.

Andre Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes

Cylists hit in Altona MikeyOz Australia 9 June 6th 06 10:36 AM
Bike substitute RicodJour Racing 3 March 17th 06 02:33 AM
Highway code - Cylists must use cyclepaths Arthur Clune UK 89 March 7th 06 11:06 AM
substitute for 700 D GT tires or wheels? ResearchGeek General 7 February 28th 05 04:35 AM
substitute for 700 D GT tires or wheels? ResearchGeek Techniques 9 February 28th 05 04:35 AM