Headset bearings.

Old July 7th 14, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Headset bearings.

Just lately my Claude Butler MTB front suspension has started making weird
creaking and clonking noises.

I scrounged it on Freecycle - the previous owner may have run into something
and bent the forks a little.

From time to time I find salvage, recently a Raleigh with fixed forks - the
difficulty of course is estimating whether the bearing cups will fit my
frame without taking both apart and losing various bits!

The relevant page on the Sheldon Brown site seems to be just a general guide
as to what sizes exist - it would be impossible to catalogue every make and
model.

Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing cups are *likely* to
fit before pulling it all apart?

Thanks for any help.

Old July 7th 14, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Ian Field wrote:

:Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing cups are *likely* to
:fit before pulling it all apart?

Yes: they won't.

--
sig 116
Old July 7th 14, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"David Scheidt" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

:Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing cups are *likely*
:fit before pulling it all apart?

Yes: they won't.

Thanks - but how do you know that?

At a cursory glance they look sort of similar-ish diameter.

What I haven't really looked at properly is the headset tube length, if the
target frame has a shorter head tube I need to take the donor apart to see
if the thread is cut far enough down the steerer tube.

AFAIK - both are British made - hopefully that counts for something?

Old July 7th 14, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ian Field wrote:

:Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing
cups are *likely* to
:fit before pulling it all apart?

Yes: they won't.

Thanks - but how do you know that?

At a cursory glance they look sort of similar-ish diameter.

What I haven't really looked at properly is the headset tube
length, if the target frame has a shorter head tube I need
to take the donor apart to see if the thread is cut far
enough down the steerer tube.

AFAIK - both are British made - hopefully that counts for
something?

Insufficient data.

Mr Scheidt writes as a man who has met Murphy once or twice.
The more critical it is, the less likely the available parts
will fit any given machine. That's true for more than
bicycles by the way.

If it's an O/S AH system and the cups are visible, that's a
relatively uniform spec.
There exist several 1" systems, notably with 26.4mm and
27.1mm crown race seats among other differences.
If the cups are internal all bets are off - too many of
those formats are circulating now. You'll need to remove the
headset and measure with the proper gauge to know both
diameter and angle of the bearing seats.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 8th 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 7, 2014 4:05:58 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
Just lately my Claude Butler MTB front suspension has started making weird

creaking and clonking noises.

I scrounged it on Freecycle - the previous owner may have run into something

and bent the forks a little.

From time to time I find salvage, recently a Raleigh with fixed forks - the

difficulty of course is estimating whether the bearing cups will fit my

frame without taking both apart and losing various bits!

The relevant page on the Sheldon Brown site seems to be just a general guide

as to what sizes exist - it would be impossible to catalogue every make and

model.

Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing cups are *likely* to

fit before pulling it all apart?

Thanks for any help.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/ClaudButler.htm

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...ssociationsCmd

The R's a 1".....the Ritchey is OK no probs ...ifn you get rust under control.

Sheldon-Harris site is fairly clear...read it again.

try Jenson.

Scrap the old CB forks for an aheadset. Does a Walmart fit ?

Old July 8th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

if the tube is rusty n then cleaned out seat cups into thinned linseed oil over thinned n dried red Rusto. Let linseed dry maybe under infrared with a fan going if urine Michigan then squeeze in cups with a 1/2" threaded rod.
Old July 8th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
On Monday, July 7, 2014 4:05:58 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
Just lately my Claude Butler MTB front suspension has started making
weird

creaking and clonking noises.

I scrounged it on Freecycle - the previous owner may have run into
something

and bent the forks a little.

From time to time I find salvage, recently a Raleigh with fixed forks -
the

difficulty of course is estimating whether the bearing cups will fit my

frame without taking both apart and losing various bits!

The relevant page on the Sheldon Brown site seems to be just a general
guide

as to what sizes exist - it would be impossible to catalogue every make
and

model.

Is there a "rule of thumb" to gague whether the bearing cups are *likely*

fit before pulling it all apart?

Thanks for any help.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/ClaudButler.htm

Thanks for the very useful link.

Mine is a Falcon Cycles variant, so I've a bit more digging to do.

But at least I've got a start.

Old July 8th 14, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, July 7, 2014 10:24:50 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

Mr Scheidt writes as a man who has met Murphy once or twice.

I just want to say that the rumour that Murphy (of Murphy's Law) is Irish is grossly exaggerated. Murphy's family lived in Chigaco within sight of the stockyards for four generations. He was American through and through. I met his granddaughter once, and she was a prissy old bird with a mouth full of apple pie; she claimed that her granddaddy "only did God's work to punish sinful people".

Andre Jute
Old July 8th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/8/2014 2:23 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, July 7, 2014 10:24:50 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

Mr Scheidt writes as a man who has met Murphy once or twice.

I just want to say that the rumour that Murphy (of Murphy's Law) is Irish is grossly exaggerated. Murphy's family lived in Chigaco within sight of the stockyards for four generations. He was American through and through. I met his granddaughter once, and she was a prissy old bird with a mouth full of apple pie; she claimed that her granddaddy "only did God's work to punish sinful people".

Andre Jute

But to the point, Murphy's observation is neither a
guideline nor a suggestion. It's a law.

Old July 9th 14, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'll begin tracking AJ with Daniels' Law !

Sheldon-harris should solve the headset question but a vernier would help after disassembly....not doing that encourages Murphy more than only owning a CB variant.

owning a Flying Squirrel meshes with Murphy and Tempts Fate...

you can develop a list over a coupla pints no prob.. ummanuga akes 4 tries just gettingthis sentence in.....

Swap Headset Bearings? HarryB[_2_] Techniques 3 October 21st 08 02:43 AM
re ahead headset bearings geepeetee UK 10 September 19th 06 08:54 PM
re ahead headset bearings geepeetee UK 3 September 18th 06 08:56 AM
ahead headset bearings geepeetee UK 2 September 16th 06 11:38 AM
Hmm, I think I mashed my headset bearings B.B. Techniques 5 September 22nd 04 06:01 PM