The difference tube diameter makes

Old August 12th 14, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default The difference tube diameter makes

I had a bit of road rubbish flick up and dent the underside of the down
tube on my new road bike. (It's only done 45,000km). The dent was
probably 2-3mm deep, and had damaged the paint. There were a few other
scratches here and there, so I gave it a birthday, and had the dent
pulled out and the frame resprayed.

In the down time, I completed building a training bike I'd started a
year ago. A 20 year old custom 853 lugged racing frame, with the same
wheels as my new bike.

The major difference is the frame tube diameter. The old frame having
the customary 1" tubes, where as the new bike frame has 1 1/8" and 1
1/4" oversize tubes.

I rode 166km on Saturday on the old bike, and then last night, 60km on
the new bike.

The difference in the way they ride is very obvious. The old bike feels
like a soft spring when I stand on the pedals, and I can watch the chain
rings wobble around while I pedal hard, even seated.

The new bike feels crisp and zippy underneath me. It feels like every
ounce of effort going into the pedals gets translated to the back wheel
and on to the road.

With the old bike I had to have the rear brake blocks set quite a
distance off the rim, or they would rub. On the new bike I can have
them set quite close for nice operation.

The same modulus of elasticity (both steel), but the stiffness due to
the oversize tubes makes a world of difference.

--
JS
Old August 12th 14, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

James wrote:

:The same modulus of elasticity (both steel), but the stiffness due to
:the oversize tubes makes a world of difference.

But narrow tubes were good enough for jesus, why shouldn't they be for
you?

--
sig 79

Old August 12th 14, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

when you come across a Panasonic...reaction ?

then a Fisher....

Its like okra.....

Old August 12th 14, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 8/12/2014 8:51 AM, wrote:
when you come across a Panasonic...reaction ?

then a Fisher....

Its like okra.....

What does gumbo have to do with anything?
Old August 12th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/11/2014 11:00 PM, James wrote:
I had a bit of road rubbish flick up and dent the underside of the down
tube on my new road bike. (It's only done 45,000km). The dent was
probably 2-3mm deep, and had damaged the paint. There were a few other
scratches here and there, so I gave it a birthday, and had the dent
pulled out and the frame resprayed.

I'm curious about getting the dent pulled out. How did they do that?

In the down time, I completed building a training bike I'd started a
year ago. A 20 year old custom 853 lugged racing frame, with the same
wheels as my new bike.

The major difference is the frame tube diameter. The old frame having
the customary 1" tubes, where as the new bike frame has 1 1/8" and 1
1/4" oversize tubes.

I rode 166km on Saturday on the old bike, and then last night, 60km on
the new bike.

The difference in the way they ride is very obvious. The old bike feels
like a soft spring when I stand on the pedals, and I can watch the chain
rings wobble around while I pedal hard, even seated.

The new bike feels crisp and zippy underneath me. It feels like every
ounce of effort going into the pedals gets translated to the back wheel
and on to the road....

I prefer a stiff frame, too. But I note that Jan Heine, who (almost
single-handedly) publishes _Bicycle Quarterly_, likes a certain amount
of flex. He claims the flex somehow allows the bike to synchronize with
his pedal strokes (or something). He calls the action "planing," as
when certain types of power boats skim the surface, rather than floating.

Hard to tell if it's imaginary or not. His magazine has some
interesting tests and data from time to time, but his road tests greatly
emphasize how a bike feels to him - as is usually the case with road tests.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 12th 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/12/2014 10:22 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

wires and mirror mostly
http://www.yellowjersey.org/borga.html

In Indonesia they lift auto body dents by summoning spirits
without damaging the paint.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 12th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

awwww Frank

with a dent puller

Old August 12th 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ima Volvo owner

Old August 12th 14, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:55:23 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuck

magnificent...you should find a job in a bicycle shop...

tellus, how did the Waterford dent ?

Replaced the van's driver's side sill at ungh$ last week...

ran over the OEM...