Lowering a seat

Old July 20th 16, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_20_]

Default Lowering a seat

For your reference, records indicate that
Ned Mantei wrote:

My impression is that most people want to swing a leg over the saddle
while standing. I'm not sure if this is so in your case, nor whether the
following would help: My method is to push off with left foot on the
pedal, coast a bit, and then swing my right leg over while standing on
the left pedal.

Another alternative mounting technique is to go forward over the top
tube. I do it mainly when I have a crate strapped to my rack that
comes up much higher than my seat, but the mechanics are different
enough that I suspect that it might also help people who have hip/leg
problems like the OP describes.

And then there’s alway the “lay it on the ground and step over it”
option. If the physical act of bending down to lift the bike is too
much, maybe a strap or something could be used to hoist it up.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old July 21st 16, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 13:36:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Due to stiffness in her hips, she's becoming unable
to swing her leg over the saddle in its normal position.

Is she grabbing her ankle or shin with her hand and lifting the foot
over the saddle? I went through a long period of swearing that I was
going to sew Madison handles into my socks, but it's automatic now.

Also, always put the knee over first when mounting and the foot over
first when dismounting.

Laying the bike down is a great idea in theory, but in practice, it
has to pass through your leg.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old July 26th 16, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 12:36:45 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
My wife's favorite bike, her Cannondale touring bike, is becoming
unusable for her. Due to stiffness in her hips, she's becoming unable
to swing her leg over the saddle in its normal position. The frame is
not a step-through design like a mixte or "girl's bike," although the
top tube is much lower than typical.

I thought I might solve the problem with an ancient Hite Rite spring and
quick release unit
https://i0.wp.com/oi50.tinypic.com/124zyhi.jpg
so she could come to a stop, then lower the saddle before swinging her
leg over. But the seatpost motion is far too stiff. Despite several
hours of effort to be sure there are no burrs, despite trying different
lubricants, etc., the seatpost doesn't easily drop under her weight.

I can try to locate a much softer spring, I suppose. But I wonder if
anyone has come up with another solution, other than a
multi-hundred-dollar dropper seatpost, or a new bike. Ideas, anyone?

--
- Frank Krygowski

The problem with a softer spring is it won't stay up while sitting on it. My folding bicycle (Mariner 7) came with a spring seat post. Held the seat up in the way, then sank when I sat on it bending my knee too much.

But a folding bicycle could be a lot easier for her to drop the seat, stand over it, raise the seat, then ride.

Some people's arthritis does improve if they eliminate inflammatory foods. Wheat and Dairy are the most problematic foods. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/0...y-lifestyle-2/

Another approach is to do the elimination diet. 2 weeks of chicken, carrots, and rice, then add 1 food every 3 days. http://familyonbikes.org/blog/2013/1...y-back-health/
Old July 26th 16, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

On 2016-07-19 18:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/19/2016 8:35 PM, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Frank, this is the big chance for your wife to jump to a Utopia
Kranich. http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute%27sUtopiaKranich.pdf
There is no finer bike, and once fitted with a Rohloff Speedhub and
chain-case, you will never have to do any maintenance of any kind,
ever -- even if the bike is hit by a car. The car will require
significant repairs, but not the bike.

Trouble is, we keep our bikes in the basement. I'd have to hire help,
or install a pulley system, to get that beast up the stairs.

Which, I hasten to say, does not mean that it is the absolutely perfect
bicycle, the standard by which all two wheeled vehicles should be
judged. ;-)

It's on sale but they only have the 5" version left:

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Grav...P-Seatpost.axd

Someone was recently asking how to free a stuck splined seat post that can't
twist - with one of those it would be fairly easy.

Fix a couple of clamps, one near the top of the seat post and one on the
frame collar. Join those with a metal hinged elbow, pull the middle joint
away from the post and its free to bend and the seat lowers. Push the middle
joint against the post and it can't go anywhere when weight is put on the
seat.

Old July 27th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10:42:47 AM UTC-4, Mike A Schwab wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'm not trying to have a bouncy seatpost. The
seatpost would be clamped in position using a quick release collar when riding.
The clamp would be loosened only as (or after) she came to a stop. Then her
weight would push the seatpost down into the seat tube, lowering the saddle
so she could swing her leg over it.

I'm still working on that possibility, BTW, looking for suitable springs.
It needs to be strong enough to push the seatpost and saddle back up to the
initial height when her weight is off the saddle, and not much stronger.

My folding bicycle (Mariner 7) came with a spring seat post. Held the seat up in the way, then sank when I sat on it bending my knee too much.

But a folding bicycle could be a lot easier for her to drop the seat, stand over it, raise the seat, then ride.

She's been temporarily solving the problem by riding either her Bike Friday
(which as a step-through frame) or by riding with me on the tandem. But she
loves that Cannondale touring bike, so she's working on stretching exercises
while I ponder retraction mechanisms.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 27th 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
[...]

I posted the solution yesterday - as yet there's no indication anyone took
any notice.

Old July 28th 16, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:25:44 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

[...]

Which probably should give you some idea of how others perceive you.

A nonentity?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 28th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/27/2016 4:25 PM, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I saw your post and your solution. It was very nice, but it seemed to
address a completely different problem. This bike does not have a stuck
seatpost, splined or otherwise.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 16, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

[...]

WTF!!!!! - you must be as thick as John.B!

The idea would be irrelevant if the post was stuck.

It would work best on a splined post that can't twist - but if you can get
decent machine shop facilities, you can make the hinge arm rigid enough to
limit twisting.

Old July 28th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-26 19:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Post droppers don't work? I don't think they'll get much cheaper than this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tmars-Mountai...dp/B00XYDPZL4/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/