Police high speed driving

Old August 27th 18, 12:21 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Police high speed driving

If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've been
on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these courses, then
we can all go 100mph?
Old August 27th 18, 04:26 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam
GB[_5_]

Default Jimmy talks about "Police high speed driving"

On 27/08/2018 15:40, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/26/2018 4:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've
been on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these
courses, then we can all go 100mph?

Over here in America we have real freeways where a feller can actually
go that fast.
Over there yer roads are for little old ladies, like Miss Daisy.
LOL

Don't you still have the 55MPH limit?
Old August 27th 18, 04:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam,alt.law-enforcement
a425couple

On 8/27/2018 7:40 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/26/2018 4:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've
been on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these
courses, then we can all go 100mph?

Well, first of all, the training is expensive. Who will pay
for it? And it is time consuming, so most drivers (your "everyone")
will not spend the time willingly. Also, the police driving
courses (actual title is EVOC = Emergency Vehicle Operator's
Course) has a selective advantage. The students have already been
mostly per-screened for good age (21-55 years old), above
average physical condition and coordination, and intelligence.

Over here in America we have real freeways where a feller can actually
go that fast.
Over there yer roads are for little old ladies, like Miss Daisy.
LOL

Well, England, and the rest of UK, Germany and France all have
some pretty decent roads. You can go plenty fast on the
autobahn, but what I found interesting was that in a fair
number of days driving there, every day had some traffic
hold up. We would be driving along at 145 kph (~90mph)
and then all lanes slow,,,, and park for an hour or so.
No one got any idea why. Then eventually, we all start
rolling again, with no idea what the problem was.
We didn't even see a dead squirrel on the shoulder!

Old August 27th 18, 05:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Colonel Edmund J. Burke
writes
On 8/27/2018 8:26 AM, GB wrote:
On 27/08/2018 15:40, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/26/2018 4:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because
they've been on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on
these courses, then we can all go 100mph?

Over here in America we have real freeways where a feller can
actually go that fast.
Over there yer roads are for little old ladies, like Miss Daisy.
LOL

Don't you still have the 55MPH limit?

In some places, yes.

Up to 85 in Texas!
http://bit.ly/2BNd1Ji
--
Ian
Old August 27th 18, 05:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam,alt.law-enforcement
GB[_5_]

On 27/08/2018 17:02, a425couple wrote:
On 8/27/2018 8:26 AM, GB wrote:
On 27/08/2018 15:40, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/26/2018 4:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've
been on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these
courses, then we can all go 100mph?

Over here in America we have real freeways where a feller can
actually go that fast.
Over there yer roads are for little old ladies, like Miss Daisy.
LOL

Don't you still have the 55MPH limit?

You are really behind the times.

Hardly surprising, as it's ages since I last drove in the USA. Even
then, it was journeys like New York City to Cape Cod, and speed limits
didn't come into it as the traffic was all going along at a maximum of
50 MPH on I95 and sometimes stopped altogether.

Our friends drove from Washington DC along I95 to meet us in
Connecticut. That's about 400-500 miles in pretty heavy traffic. Heroic!
Old August 27th 18, 05:44 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam,alt.law-enforcement
a425couple

On 8/27/2018 8:26 AM, GB wrote:
[...]

True enough, in that a serious lot of our populated areas
have totally fallen behind on the road construction.

On the West Coast, the mega city around Los Angeles, San Francisco,
Portland, and Seattle have gotten their highways totally jammed
up most of every day.

I recently took a road trip, once I got over the Cascades,
driving was free and easy to the middle of Montana, and stayed
pretty free and clear open, until I got back near Issaquah.

There was no train, subway, or bus, that would have let me
follow the Lewis and Clark Trail.
Old August 27th 18, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 12:21:16 AM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've been
on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these courses, then
we can all go 100mph?

I have done 140mph on the A9 and I have not been on a police training course.
Old August 27th 18, 07:04 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,alt.war.vietnam,alt.law-enforcement
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 16:36:03 +0100, a425couple wrote:

On 8/27/2018 7:40 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/26/2018 4:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
If the police think it's safe for them to drive fast because they've
been on training courses, why not put everyone in the UK on these
courses, then we can all go 100mph?

Well, first of all, the training is expensive. Who will pay
for it?

Well if you believe the government, they could pay for it, as it would remove all the accidents they pay for.

And it is time consuming, so most drivers (your "everyone")
will not spend the time willingly. Also, the police driving
courses (actual title is EVOC = Emergency Vehicle Operator's
Course) has a selective advantage. The students have already been
mostly per-screened for good age (21-55 years old), above
average physical condition and coordination, and intelligence.

A policeman with intelligence, that I have yet to see.

Over here in America we have real freeways where a feller can actually
go that fast.
Over there yer roads are for little old ladies, like Miss Daisy.
LOL

Well, England, and the rest of UK, Germany and France all have
some pretty decent roads. You can go plenty fast on the
autobahn, but what I found interesting was that in a fair
number of days driving there, every day had some traffic
hold up. We would be driving along at 145 kph (~90mph)
and then all lanes slow,,,, and park for an hour or so.
No one got any idea why. Then eventually, we all start
rolling again, with no idea what the problem was.
We didn't even see a dead squirrel on the shoulder!

In the UK, the police shut a road if someone breaks a wingmirror.