tyre inflation

Old September 29th 03, 03:23 PM
Paul Stevenson

Default tyre inflation

Hi all,

please forgive what might seem a naive question.

I have difficulty getting enough pressure into my touring bike tyres. I
rather think that my weight may be some of the problem, 20 stone. Even when
I've pumped the tyres to what appears rock hard once I mount the bike they
bulge quite a bit. I rather suspect that some sort of electric pump may be
the answer and a pressure gauge.

What do people think and what pump would be recommended?

thanks

Paul

Old September 29th 03, 04:15 PM
Lee

"Paul Stevenson" wrote in message
Hi all,

please forgive what might seem a naive question.

I have difficulty getting enough pressure into my touring bike tyres. I
rather think that my weight may be some of the problem, 20 stone. Even

when
I've pumped the tyres to what appears rock hard once I mount the bike they
bulge quite a bit. I rather suspect that some sort of electric pump may

be
the answer and a pressure gauge.

What do people think and what pump would be recommended?

thanks

Paul

What PSI are you inflating to? You really need a pressure gauge pump as its
impossible to guesstimate.

My tyres need 40psi which is a lot (they feel "rock hard" long before that!)

Old September 29th 03, 04:20 PM
elyob

Look at track pumps .. e.g. http://snurl.com/2dtg

Old September 29th 03, 04:21 PM
Peter Clinch

Paul Stevenson wrote:

I have difficulty getting enough pressure into my touring bike tyres. I
rather think that my weight may be some of the problem, 20 stone. Even when
I've pumped the tyres to what appears rock hard once I mount the bike they
bulge quite a bit. I rather suspect that some sort of electric pump may be
the answer and a pressure gauge.

There's no need for an electric pump, but I'd certainly suggest a track
pump (think ACME dynamite plunger): these will get tyres up to brick
consistency in just a few strokes, and many have a built in gauge.

Many people overestimate tyre pressures: someone posting here a while
back was sure that anything over 45 psi in a Marathon would be bound to
blow it up as it was so hard, but they're rated for 100 (which is what I
run mine at).

Also check the tyres and see how hard you can actually pump them
(usually written on the side wall): different tyres will do different
pressures, and there's a world of difference in the ride between 60 and
100 psi.

But a track pump is usually the main answer to this sort of thing.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old September 29th 03, 04:52 PM
Arthur Clune

Paul Stevenson wrote:

: What do people think and what pump would be recommended?

What you want is not an electric pump but what is called a track
pump - like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_l...-%20Floor&Cat=

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Old September 29th 03, 04:52 PM
Peter Connolly

I have difficulty getting enough pressure into my touring bike tyres. I
rather think that my weight may be some of the problem, 20 stone. Even

when
I've pumped the tyres to what appears rock hard once I mount the bike they
bulge quite a bit.

Paul,

I had the same problem; 20 stone+, and tires bulging. In common with the
other posters, I got a track pump, and found out that I was running my tyres
massively below their rated pressure. Once I got them up to the rated
pressure, the bike seemed much more responsive, and there was no bulging.

Electric pumps are ineffectual and noisy.

HTH,

Pete.
--

Peter Connolly