Vandenbroucke

Old June 12th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tispectrum

Default Vandenbroucke

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Belgian cyclist Frank Vandenbroucke intends to return
to racing after a suicide attempt.

"I will return because, as long as there is life, there is hope,"
Vandenbroucke said in Monday editions of the Gazzetta dello Sport. "Cycling
is and will be the first reason for life and soon I'll put everything back
to normal. I want to get myself better and return to training, to return to
the levels that should still be mine."

The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to the hospital Wednesday after slitting
his wrists. He was reportedly depressed because his wife had left him.

"It was an act of desperation," Vandenbroucke said. "My family was
everything."

Vandenbroucke, who rides for Acqua & Sapone, hasn't won a race in three
years. He was sentenced to 200 hours of community service in 2004 after
police found illegal performance-enhancing substances during a raid on his
home in 2002.

"I paid a big price for many years," Vandenbroucke said. "Now I don't
understand all these people in this sport that first complain, then say that
they have used substances and then repent."

Cycling has been rocked by a series of doping admissions in recent months.
Several former Team Telekom riders -- including 1996 Tour de France winner
Bjarne Riis, along with Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag -- have admitted using EPO
during the 1990s.

Ivan Basso, the 2006 Giro d'Italia champion, also confessed to "attempted
doping" relating to the Spanish blood-doping investigation, but said he
never went through with it.

Old June 12th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to the hospital Wednesday after slitting
his wrists.

And they say doping is a victimless crime..

Old June 12th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Callistus Valerius wrote:
The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to the hospital Wednesday after slitting
his wrists.

And they say doping is a victimless crime..

I'm with you on that one, CV. Did they ever find out Simpson's
amphetamine connection?

Rleone

Old June 12th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jun 11, 7:25 pm, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:
The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to the hospital Wednesday after slitting
his wrists.

And they say doping is a victimless crime..

Dumbass -

A victim is created only when a injury is committed upon another. In a
free society people should be free to do whatever they want to
themselves, whether the act be good or bad.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old June 12th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
So, is a 230 pound 5'3" guy wearing a Speedo in public a victimless crime?

No, the speedo is the victim.

I had a moral stand once, but no one wanted any. Switched to snowballs...

You should have tried switching to an immoral stand first. Not much future
in snowballs what with global warming (and you LIVEDRUNKARDS will have to
get used to drinks without ice in them).

Old June 12th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell[_2_]

ups.com...
wrote:
The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to the hospital Wednesday after
slitting
his wrists.

And they say doping is a victimless crime..

Dumbass -

A victim is created only when a injury is committed upon another. In a
free society people should be free to do whatever they want to
themselves, whether the act be good or bad.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

So, is a 230 pound 5'3" guy wearing a Speedo in public a victimless crime?
If he is wearing flip flops, does that make a difference? I think it is
important for rbr to take moral stands where ever there is a clear high
ground.

I had a moral stand once, but no one wanted any. Switched to snowballs...

And speaking of high...
--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

Old June 12th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell[_2_]

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
. com...
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
So, is a 230 pound 5'3" guy wearing a Speedo in public a victimless
crime?

No, the speedo is the victim.

I had a moral stand once, but no one wanted any. Switched to snowballs...

You should have tried switching to an immoral stand first. Not much future
in snowballs what with global warming (and you LIVEDRUNKARDS will have to
get used to drinks without ice in them).

Comments noted - although I drink my Bookers straight and never put ice in
the ale.

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)