Priority Arrow Right Of Way

Old November 11th 04, 02:48 PM
Jack Ouzzi

Default Priority Arrow Right Of Way

Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Old November 11th 04, 02:52 PM
Simon Mason

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

The bicycle is a vehicle as you can deduce by looking at "no motor vehicles"
and "no vehicles" signs and therefore you have right of way. In theory at
least, if not in might!
--
Simon M.

Old November 11th 04, 02:54 PM
Paul - xxx

Jack Ouzzi vaguely muttered something like ...
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

The cycle has the right of way, the other vehicle, whatever type, should
give way.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 11th 04, 03:17 PM
Peter Clinch

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes. From http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk (full text of tHC online), the
Rules for Cyclists start "These rules are in addition to those in the
following sections, which apply to all vehicles (except the motorway
section)."

Where powered vehicles are specifically covered but not cycles, the term
"motor vehicles" is used. For example, Annex 3, Motor Vehicle
documentation and learner driver requirements.

Further note the prohibition sign consisting of a plain white field,
which means "No vehicles except bicycles being pushed".

In practice I'm happy to yield right of way to someone in a motor
vehicle if they'd be held up a lot longer than I will waiting for them
(typical example is a steepish hill on my return from Tescos with parked
cars making it effectively single track but I get right of way from them
being parked on the other side from me, but it would be plain
inconsiderate for me to demand RoW while I spend a couple of minutes
chuntering up with 20 Kg of shopping when the car at the top would be
down in seconds), but I'll make sure I take it if all else is equal and
I think they've get the time to stop!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old November 11th 04, 03:25 PM
elyob

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

LEGALLY .. you have right of way. COMMON SENSE says you should take the
option which means you'll still be cycling 30 seconds later.

Old November 11th 04, 03:29 PM
Colin Davidson

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

This isn't even a challenging question; you're a vehicle, the other guy
should wait. If you assert your road space and make clear that you're doing
so, he really hasn't got any business expecting to go till you've passed.
Whether you choose to do that or not will probably depend on just how wide
the road is.

As often as not, it doesn't matter how wide the road is, the car (or more
often a bus) will come at you anyway.

Old November 11th 04, 03:44 PM
Simonb

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

The 4x4.

I experience the same situation most mornings and evenings. Motor vehicle
drivers, 9 times out of 10, believe they have priority at the "give-way"
pinch points along Weston Parade in Southampton. The situation is not made
any better by the fact that a mixed-use cycle path was intalled at the same
time as the pinch points -- which motorists expect cyclists to use. Not on
your nelly! The council took a safe road and made it more dangerous for
cyclists, but (in theory) safer from speeding motorists; presumably local
youths who used it late evening as a drag strip.

Makes my blood boil.

Old November 11th 04, 03:45 PM
Simonb

Colin Davidson wrote:

As often as not, it doesn't matter how wide the road is, the car (or
more often a bus) will come at you anyway.

Disgusting, isn't it?

Old November 11th 04, 03:56 PM
Mark Tranchant

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

You've had enough responses to your questions. I thought I'd share an
amusing road setup with those priority arrows that has the potential to
cause gridlock.

There's a little village somewhere near Warminster called Norton St
Phillips. In 1996, at least, it had a pair of priority pinch points,
with priority on both being *into* the smallish gap 'twixt the
restrictions. It'd only take a busy day and some pigheaded cagers, and
the whole lot could snarl up indefinitely.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old November 11th 04, 04:07 PM
Alan Braggins

In article 1100180934.FhmfV61tt/rTq6sNMyy56Q@teranews, Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

If "room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways" means "room for
4x4 and cyclist to pass each other safely", does either of them have
to wait?

But otherwise, as other people have said, legally the cyclist has right
of way, in practice you assume the driver will proceed until you see
them stop.