NAUCC 2005 Workshop Schedule and Cedar Point trip

Old May 9th 05, 03:37 PM
johnfoss

Default NAUCC 2005 Workshop Schedule and Cedar Point trip

NAUCC 2005 (that's the 2005 convention put on by the USA) will be at the
end of July in Bowling Green, Ohio. Web site:
http://www.unicycling.org/usa/naucc/2005/

WORKSHOPS
Host Jan Layne as asked me to coordinate the workshops. We haven't done
much with workshops at the last few conventions, and it's time to fix
that. So what we need are workshop leaders, and requests for workshops!
We need to know what kind of workshops people will attend, and what
topics they want. Also I will be using this forum to find people to do
them.

The convention schedule currently lists workshops on the first two days
of the convention (July 26-27). But this is a tentative schedule and
they may spread out as more detail gets added to this schedule. I will
also be in touch with Jan Layne on what types of spaces we have to work
with.

Workshops can be more than simple dry classes on how to change your
cranks or learn the kick-up. They can also be games, demonstrations,
show-and-tell sessions, or whatever you want them to be.

That being the case, I will also invite Darren Bedford to be part of
what I hope to be a really good collection of workshops. I'm sure he'll
have some great ideas!

Now what about you? Come on down and show what you know! Contact me at
the email address below.

CEDAR POINT TRIP:
Cedar Point is the world's greatest amusement park. If you like
amusement parks with top rides and all the trimmings, you should make
time on your NAUCC trip to go there. To help people out, I will provide
information for those interested in going, and invite all unicyclists to
the park on Monday, August 2nd. This is a great day to visit the park,
as weekends are much more crowded. Also it is the day after the MUni
events, which are actually on the way toward Cedar Point from Bowling
Green!

What makes Cedar Point so great? They are consistently rated the top
amusement park in the country by various industry lists. They have the
most roller coasters, or an equal number, of any other park. They have
held the record for the tallest roller coaster not one, but four times!
Ther tallest is about 420' tall, and goes 120 mph. Compare that to your
local park!

Cedar Point is not just a ride park either. It has all the other
ingredients to make an amusement park a great experience for every
member of the family. Lots of games, shows, a water park, a beach, a
marina, and much more. http://www.cedarpoint.com

Jacquie and I will be staying at the Breakers Hotel (right outside the
park) on July 31 and August 1. Our favorite roller coaster, Millenium
Force, is at Cedar Point. We're members of ACE (American Coaster
Enthusiasts) so we've ridden a lot of them! You shouldn't miss it.

If there is a serious interest, it might be possible to arrange group
tickets, but I was not planning this. Rather just getting together with
other amusement park enthusiasts on August 2.

Sorry to include both of these topics in one post, but it will help keep
the information together for me, as well as keep both topics on the same
page in the forum listings.

Contact me if you have any questions about Cedar Point that you can't
find out from their web site.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old May 9th 05, 08:53 PM
bugman

I'd like to see a workshop on Mounts.

Something that would cover Rolling mounts especially. I would love to
learn how to mount the Coker with some momentum. Especially when I am
out of go juice.

Other mounts Kick up, side etc...

Would love to go to the park, and I may have to sneak away from the
convention to do it, since I have to be back to work on Monday the 2nd.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

-* [ F O N T = c e n t u r y g o t h i c ] ' H e l p C u r e D i a
b e t e s b y S u p p o r t i n g M y R i d e ' ( h t t p : /
/ t i n y u r l . c o m / 6 8 m k v ) [ / F O N T ] * -

*Fund Raising Honor Roll*
Kathy Susanka

Old May 9th 05, 10:03 PM
Woody Hooten

In the April 18, 2005 issue of "the New Yorker" magazine there is an
article called "Dangerous Game" about an extreme skier named Andrew
McLean. McLean lives in Park City, Utah.

After a few pages of relating McLean's background and some of the
frightening things he has done on skis, this sentence appeares: "In
warmer months, he likes to ride a unicycle on mountain trails." Near the
end of the article there is this description of his home" "The ground
floor is dominated by his workshop. It contains twenty-three pairs of
skis, as well as climbing skins, boots, bicycles, unicycles, and various
heavy mechanical saws and drills."

I was wondering if anyone has ridden with or knows Andrew McLean?

John Hooten
Old May 10th 05, 07:18 AM
Norwood

I don't know him, but he sometimes posts to the 'Telemark Talk'
(http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1) forum. The 'New
Yorker article' (http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7400)
was discussed there a while ago.

There was also a profile on McLean in 'Outside Magazine'
(http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7339). The Outside
article is online 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/d6esb).

Lou Dawson, another well known backcountry skier, included a pic of a
unicycle in his 'weblog' (http://tinyurl.com/ahu78) a while back.
Unicycling and skiing definitely have a similar feel - balancing,
falling forward to move ahead. Learning one skill probably helps improve
the other.

--
Norwood
Norwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9912

Old May 10th 05, 02:05 PM
leo

I was at cedar point in 2000. Injured my shoulder in that highest one
they have. After 5 years now it became some better, but even today I
feel it when making many side-rides or sideways ww's. So no trip for
me.

--
leo - unicyclist

Leo Vandewoestijne
'+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/blog/rss2.xml) to 'unicyclist.org'
(http://unicyclist.org/)!
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Old May 10th 05, 05:46 PM
johnfoss

Sorry about that Leo. Was that on the Millenium Force roller coaster, or
on the "drop tower" thingie? Must have been the drop tower because
Millenium Force doesn't have anything over your shoulders.

For Bugman, if a mounting workshop doesn't transpire, just talk to me
and others and we'll get you going. If you bring your Coker I can walk
you through it. In the meantime, remember the wheel doesn't need to be
rolling when you jump on. The momentum stays in you until you get up
there, then you bring the wheel with you.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old May 10th 05, 09:40 PM
leo

johnfoss wrote:
*Was that on the Millenium Force roller coaster, or on the "drop
tower" thingie? Must have been the drop tower because Millenium Force
doesn't have anything over your shoulders.*

It was the Millenium. The machine was'nt to blame. It was caused by my
fear which was stronger than my muscles were attached to the bone. Or I
made some damage to the upper-arm bone over it's length. That's still a
mystery. It happened when I pushed myself too tight in my seat. After I
got out I knew I had to take it slow for a week. That became longer than
expected.
I have to admit that I have an enormous height-fever, but well, some
things you have to experience. And as they say, better regret things you
have done, than regret thing you have'nt, I gave it a go, and now regret
it. But okay, after all, the park is worth a visit if you have'nt been
there. Just be carefull. You're rather be a sissy than have to unicycle
around with pain for years.

Also I had my first ever ride in a wooden rollercoaster (as I never went
to that one in Blackpool), that was very nice!

Old May 11th 05, 12:44 AM
johnfoss

leo wrote:
*Also I had my first ever ride in a wooden rollercoaster (as I never
went to that one in Blackpool), that was very nice! *

You must have been on the Blue Streak, not their bigger, nastier Mean
Streak. I have a roller coaster pain story for that one, where I learned
a lesson similar to yours.

It's a very large, very fast coaster. I think it was the fastest woodie
when it opened in the early 90s. The first time I rode it I pressed my
feet against the front of the floor area, whch pressed my back into the
seat. As the ride roared through the G-forces and vibrations, my back
was *really* hurting. I was worried I'd be injured! Afterward I realized
it was probably because I was pressing myself against the front and back
of my seat area.

Stupidly, I rode it again the next day (it had been at night, and I
wanted to take some coaster-cam pictures). The second time, I just kept
my feet flat on the floor and stayed relaxed throughout the ride. I felt
fine the whole time!

Okay, end roller coaster owie discussion and back to workshops and Cedar
Point trip!

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old May 13th 05, 07:15 AM
siafirede

I think that I might make it up for the NAUCC and cedar point trip. If
I can get off work I am definitely going to try and make it up there,
sounds like a lot of fun!

--
siafirede - Flex Your Head
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

Old May 26th 05, 01:36 AM
UniFied

Woody Hooten wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has ridden with or knows Andrew McLean?

John Hooten [/b]

I know him pretty well and ride with him virtually every time he goes
out.

I got into uni riding when I was a kid living in Florida (not a big ski
town) and then didn't do it again for years until a friend loaned me one
they had used for a while. Soon after that I saw Unizaba and was blown
away at how cool Muni's are. One of the main reasons I got into it was
that I could do it with my two dogs - running was too hard on the body
and mtn biking was too fast for the poochies. With a Muni, everybody
has fun.

I'm very interested in meeting and riding with other Muni'er around the
Park City/Salt Lake area!

Andrew McLean

--
UniFied