speaking of bike thefts - Cannondale warehouse

Old October 12th 06, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
slaw

Default speaking of bike thefts - Cannondale warehouse

warrwych Wrote:
wot, Cannondale brought only 250 bikes into the country as their total
2007 stock??? Why bother?

That was probably the initial quota for Oz. I remember a few years ago
hearing that there are single bike stores in the States that sell more
Cannondales than the whole of Oz.

BTW, my mate has an 07 Cannondale F4 MTB, legit. He ordered an 06 in
June, but with various miscommunications between LBS, Cannondale Oz and
US, he ended up with this 07 model a couple of weeks ago.

So if you see a guy on a brown F4 with slicks and seat post rack, it
really is his, OK.

--
slaw

Old October 12th 06, 07:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

So what's the theory as to how these will be 'cashed in'????

Ebay?? Smack Converters?? Surely there must be a plan to turn these
into cash reasonably quickly..........

Abby

Old October 12th 06, 07:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Absent Husband wrote:
So what's the theory as to how these will be 'cashed in'????

Ebay?? Smack Converters?? Surely there must be a plan to turn these
into cash reasonably quickly..........

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

Old October 12th 06, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 11 Oct 2006 23:25:49 -0700
Bleve wrote:

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

Get sortof noticed if 200 turn up almost at once won't it? Will it
pay them to trickle them in at a few a month?

Zebee
Old October 12th 06, 08:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Bleve wrote:

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

Get sortof noticed if 200 turn up almost at once won't it? Will it
pay them to trickle them in at a few a month?

yep, I'd say so. May be offshore anyway, so not such a big deal. I
don't know the full value of the haul, but figures of several hundred
thou for just the groupsets & wheels is being touted.

Zebee

Old October 12th 06, 09:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Bleve wrote:

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

So, dumped as in a pile of metal up some bush track?
Or cut up into sections and into the council waste stream.

Hmm, either way they might be useful.

Old October 12th 06, 10:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article

,
Terryc wrote:

Bleve wrote:

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

So, dumped as in a pile of metal up some bush track?
Or cut up into sections and into the council waste stream.

More incentive to bushwalk in the coming months... Might just come
across a nice Cannondale frame on a Eucalyptus tree.
Old October 12th 06, 10:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article .com,
"Bleve" wrote:

Absent Husband wrote:
So what's the theory as to how these will be 'cashed in'????

Ebay?? Smack Converters?? Surely there must be a plan to turn these
into cash reasonably quickly..........

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

Given that the volume of groupsets on eBay.com.au isn't that high, a
sudden influx would be quite noticeable. For the police to trace an eBay
member isn't that difficult.
Old October 12th 06, 10:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bleve wrote:

Our theory is that the frames will get dumped and the groupsets and
wheels flogged on ebay.
It's easy to trace the frames, but the groupsets etc ... they're worth
a lot and are effectively untraceable.

Get sortof noticed if 200 turn up almost at once won't it? Will it
pay them to trickle them in at a few a month?

yep, I'd say so. May be offshore anyway, so not such a big deal. I
don't know the full value of the haul, but figures of several hundred
thou for just the groupsets & wheels is being touted.

Given the reputation (deserved or otherwise) of Cannondale frames failing,
if the guys start selling them in dark, dodgy streets, it could bring a
whole new meaning to the term "Crack Dealer"........

Gags

Old October 12th 06, 03:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Given that the volume of groupsets on eBay.com.au isn't that high, a
sudden influx would be quite noticeable. For the police to trace an eBay
member isn't that difficult.

sigh, really simple to do.
You just advertise one for sale and sell it to the highest bidder, then
you contact next highest bidder anbd say "I've found anotherone, would
you like to buy it at the price your bid? (pay out of ebay system).
Repeat until bid is too low. wait relist.

lol, I've only had one period of using ebay, and already I've twigged to
that one.