Another Serious Mountain Biking Accident

Old July 20th 09, 12:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Another Serious Mountain Biking Accident

Evolution in action....

Mike

From: "Chris"
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 02:17:05 -0000
Subject: Melinda and Rob

Rob Covert (Melinda's boyfriend) does not have access to the internet
at this time so he wrote this and asked me to post it for him.

As you all know by now Melinda had a pretty bad crash on her mountain
bike and hit her head on a rock. Thank God for helmets! As I'm sure
you all can understand, a blow to the head like that can be very
serious. And I can tell you that when you see someone you love knocked
out, face down and you roll them over and see what I saw, and the
sounds she was making, it scares you to the depths of your soul. There
was little to nothing I could do for her except find help without
delay. That's when a series of good fortune happened, something that
could not be matched, even if I were to win a lottery every day for a
year.

Miracle 1: We were very close to the end of the trail.

Miracle 2: On a Thursday there was a campground with boy scouts and a
doctor doing emergency training right near the end of the trail.

Miracle 3: No one had cell phone coverage except for one guy and he
was able to call 911.

Miracle 4: We were right next to Ranger Creek airstrip, so the
helicopter could land right there next to the ambulances.

Scout Troop 835, a young man named Perry, and a doctor by the name of
Dr. Brass took over and helped in a way that only someone who is
watching their loved one in a trauma situation could understand. The
first 36 hours or so was very important in monitoring the head trauma,
which was diagnosed as a sub dermal hematoma. It was tough on me, as I
was on no sleep, an emotional roller coaster, and watching my
sweetheart in a lot of distress, confusion, and pain.

When I started getting phone calls on the hospital telephone, I found
out the word was out on the Mt. Bike list serve and facebook. I am not
a computer user like you all, so I was glad to find out my friend
Dennis Bennett posted on the list serve a request for thoughts and
prayer, and my friend Chris King took care of the facebook end of it.
I saw some of the facebook postings as that was all I was able to see
at the time.

I can't tell you all fully enough how much the words and sincere well
wishes, concern & prayers did to lift me up at a time that I truly
needed it. And although she probably won't remember it, it brought a
smile and a lift to Melinda as well. I am truly proud to be a part of
a community full of such high quality people of character and soul.

So, although it seems not adequate enough for how I feel and for the
overwhelming outpouring of support, love, good vibes and prayers
extended to and for Melinda in a time of need; from the bottom of my
heart, thank you.

Rob Covert
Old July 20th 09, 03:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson[_5_]

http://www.google.com/search?q=hiker...rlz=1I7SUNA_en

http://www.google.com/search?q=hiker...rlz=1I7SUNA_en

HTH!