Consumer Reports bicycle review

Old June 4th 04, 04:06 PM
David Kerber

Default Consumer Reports bicycle review

Did anybody see this? They reviewed FS MTB's, hardtails, comfort bikes
and hybrids, though only a relatively few models of each one.

They also had a relatively long sidebar about why buying from a mass-
market retailer was not a good idea except for the most casual adult
rider, or for a kid who's going to outgrow it in a year or two. They
mainly pointed out the same things we say here, about weight, proper
adjustments, quality of build, etc. Overall, not perfect, but a pretty
good article.

--
Dave Kerber
newsgroups if possible).
Old June 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Arthur Harris

"David Kerber" wrote:
Did anybody see this? They reviewed FS MTB's, hardtails, comfort bikes
and hybrids, though only a relatively few models of each one.

They also had a relatively long sidebar about why buying from a mass-
market retailer was not a good idea except for the most casual adult
rider, or for a kid who's going to outgrow it in a year or two. They
mainly pointed out the same things we say here, about weight, proper
adjustments, quality of build, etc. Overall, not perfect, but a pretty
good article.

I think that's the one I saw, though IIRC it was about a year old. Is it the
one that rated Bianchi the best road bike? A couple of their comments made
me wince, like:

"Aluminum is stiff but light, steel is more comfortable but heavy."

and

"Road bikes generally don't have shocks, so the frame is the only thing that
absorbs shock."

Art Harris

Old June 4th 04, 08:47 PM
maxo

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:33:09 +0000, Arthur Harris wrote:

"Road bikes generally don't have shocks, so the frame is the only thing that
absorbs shock."

They should have given tires a shot. I like mine real good.

Old June 4th 04, 09:16 PM
Matt O'Toole

maxo wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:33:09 +0000, Arthur Harris wrote:

"Road bikes generally don't have shocks, so the frame is the only
thing that absorbs shock."

They should have given tires a shot. I like mine real good.

Write to 'em. You might attatch an article like this one:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8e.2.html

CR is run by engineer types in pursuit of truth -- unlike the dumbass
know-it-alls at bike magazines.

Matt O.