Today's ride - first flat of the season

Old June 19th 04, 05:54 PM
Callas

Default Today's ride - first flat of the season

Depart 16:00 for a three hour ride.

Leave on auto-pilot, follow wrong route into the local short lap loop.
Do one lap (30 mins) to get back to home. Useful warm up.

Reach home. Pop in, refill water.

Leave, take correct route.

15 mins out; slow leak, rear tyre.

Cycle home gently, stop to pump up tube once.

Get home.

Replace tube. 2mm cut on outer facing tube, no visible damage to tyre,
which is a bit worrying - wondering if I'm going to get another slow
puncture shortly.

Write post.

Now 18:00.

Leave

--
Callas
Old June 19th 04, 06:28 PM
MSeries

Callas wrote:
Depart 16:00 for a three hour ride.

Leave on auto-pilot, follow wrong route into the local short lap loop.
Do one lap (30 mins) to get back to home. Useful warm up.

Reach home. Pop in, refill water.

Leave, take correct route.

15 mins out; slow leak, rear tyre.

Cycle home gently, stop to pump up tube once.

Get home.

Replace tube. 2mm cut on outer facing tube, no visible damage to
tyre, which is a bit worrying - wondering if I'm going to get another
slow puncture shortly.

Write post.

Now 18:00.

Leave

I got up at 4am, struggled to eat my porridge and peanut & banana butter on
toast, 2 coffees and a can of Red Bull, was on the road by 5:15 am. It was
pretty cool at that time I had to wear my gilet and my water proof to keep
warm. Didn't sleep much during the night so for the first hour and a half I
felt pretty grotty. Had a gentle tailwind for the first 45 miles which was
nice. For those who know my part of the North my route roughly parralleled
the M62 Eastwards from J27 which is my nearest junction. I went as far East
as North Cave then turned North to Market Weighton where I had beans on
toast at about 9 am after covering a little over 50 miles. OK perhaps not
such a good pace but I had to keep stopping to pee ! Took some back lanes to
York via Pocklington then home via Tadcaster again on back lanes. Made a
nice little excursion over Yorks Millenium Bridge and around the Knavesmire,
see you all there next weekend. Head wind and showers on the homeward leg
were tedious, and the hale shower less than 4 miles from home as painful on
the legs.

I was hoping for about 120 miles but it checked in at 112.3 which I am
reasonably happy with, my longest ride of the year and longest since I did
Morecambe to Scarborough a few years ago. Total time door to door was 9
hours 31 minutes which is good enough for me. Back home in time to shower
and go and fetch SWMBO from the station at 3:30pm.

Martin

Old June 20th 04, 04:35 PM
Simon Mason

"MSeries" wrote in message

I went as far East
as North Cave

You chickened out of the Wolds at South Cave I see:-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old June 20th 04, 05:54 PM
Simon Mason

"MSeries" wrote in message
news:2jlrm3F135399U1@uni-Compared to my ride two weeks ago (across the
Pennines and back via Holme Moss) this one, even if I had crossed the

Wolds,
is extremely flat.

Indeed it is, but for us flatlanders the climb out of South Cave to
Brantingham Dale is like the Alps.

Will we see you in York Simon ?

I might go for the first time since 1969, I think I've got a weekend off at
last! I might even ride there if the wind's not too strong.

--

Simon M.

Old June 20th 04, 06:00 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:54:20 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote in message
:

Will we see you in York Simon ?

I might go for the first time since 1969, I think I've got a weekend off at
last! I might even ride there if the wind's not too strong.

Hurrah! I'll stick another beer in the cooler.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 20th 04, 06:15 PM
MSeries

Simon Mason wrote:
"MSeries" wrote in message

I went as far East
as North Cave

You chickened out of the Wolds at South Cave I see:-)

Kind of, this ride was about distance though. It was very convenient to
follow the B1230 through Gilberdye to the M62 J38 then on through North
Cave to the A1034 and on to Market Weighton. I was not going to ride on the
A63 even the very light traffic was going pretty quick. I did briefly
consider going on to Beverley but I wasn't feeling on top form due to lack
of sleep the previous evening. Compared to my ride two weeks ago (across the
Pennines and back via Holme Moss) this one, even if I had crossed the Wolds,
is extremely flat. Now that I know how far the ride is perhaps I will go to
Beverley next time !

Will we see you in York Simon ?

Old June 20th 04, 06:26 PM
Simon Mason

wrote in message
:

Will we see you in York Simon ?

I might go for the first time since 1969, I think I've got a weekend off

at
last! I might even ride there if the wind's not too strong.

Hurrah! I'll stick another beer in the cooler.

Don't want any Carling or John Pith's Smooth stuff. I'll have a bottle of
Worthington White Shield, or failing that a nice Chimay or Westmalle
Trappist beer

--
Simon M.

Old June 20th 04, 07:11 PM
MSeries

wrote in message
:

Will we see you in York Simon ?

I might go for the first time since 1969, I think I've got a weekend
off at last! I might even ride there if the wind's not too strong.

Hurrah! I'll stick another beer in the cooler.

Guy

We MUST make some sort of arrangement later this week. I shall be arriving
on Friday evening

Old June 20th 04, 08:03 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:11:10 +0100, "MSeries"
wrote in message
:

We MUST make some sort of arrangement later this week. I shall be arriving
on Friday evening

So will I, I guess - I have the day off on Friday for last-minute
shopping and the tedious journey up.

Old June 20th 04, 11:44 PM
davek

Simon Mason:
I'll have a bottle of
Worthington White Shield

By Jove, I'll join you in that. Just tell me where I can get the stuff! I
know Asda was stocking it a while ago but I don't have an Asda close to me
since I moved house.

d.