Trek 1000 vs. 1000C

Old August 8th 03, 08:49 PM
Preston Crawford

Default Trek 1000 vs. 1000C

Hopefully Mike is around and can answer this (or someone else). Otherwise
we'll have to hit up our LBS tonight. My wife is a budding triathlete.
Pretty cool. I'd like to buy her an entry-level road bike so she doesn't
have to do these things on a hybrid. She wants a road bike too. We're not
made of money so we're looking low-end and we have a good relationship with
our local Trek dealer (5 bikes purchased there in the last 3 years). We're
looking at the 1000 and the 1000C. I think for what she does she should
probably go with the 1000C. Since she's not a "competitive" triathlete right
now it would seem to make more sense. More comfortable, not the harsh
geometry of the 1000 (I say harsh because I bought a 1000 and then after
getting a fit done at the Bike Gallery they promptly jacked my handlebars up
about a half-foot. So a bike more like the 1000C would have been better).
Any thoughts on these bikes? Is the 1000C the same as the 1000 for the most
part, otherwise? Same gearing? Same components, I mean? Will it ride like a
road bike, just more comfortable?

Preston

Old August 8th 03, 10:05 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

[...]

Preston: The 1000C could be a very good alternative to a hybrid, although
there really shouldn't be an issue of "harshness" to define the difference
between it and a standard 1000. Mostly it's a fit difference, with the
1000C putting the bars considerably higher up and a shorter top tube. If
she's going to be doing mostly shorter rides (say, under 40 miles) it could
work out quite nicely; if she's going to be getting into longer stuff, you
might check into the standard version, especially if you live in a hilly
area (climbing with bars higher than the saddle can be difficult, especially
while standing). If you're talking about the Bike Gallery in Portland, they
probably do; don't think you'll go too far wrong with their recommendations.

Does the shop have both (so she can take each for a ride)? In the end, the
most important thing is that it's something that makes her want to get out
and ride!

As for differences between the specs, aside from the frame, you have wider
tires on the "C" model, along with a suspension seatpost and adjustable
stem. Curiously, the specs also show a smaller rear cassette on the "C"
model than the standard one, but I don't have a "C" version in stock right
now to confirm that.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old August 8th 03, 10:33 PM
Preston Crawford

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message ...
Preston: The 1000C could be a very good alternative to a hybrid, although
there really shouldn't be an issue of "harshness" to define the difference
between it and a standard 1000. Mostly it's a fit difference, with the
1000C putting the bars considerably higher up and a shorter top tube. If

Well, that's what I mean. If you're fit to be more comfortable riding a
little more upright (I trust the BG when they fit me, they know what they're
doing) then sloping downwards is definitely harsh on your back. My wife is
currently riding and fit to a hybrid, like the 7700. So she's used to a more
upright position as well.

she's going to be doing mostly shorter rides (say, under 40 miles) it

could
work out quite nicely; if she's going to be getting into longer stuff, you

Yes, she will be. Although she reeled off a 56-miler a few weeks ago, she
mostly does her tri distances (12-20, sometimes 30) while training.

while standing). If you're talking about the Bike Gallery in Portland,

they
probably do; don't think you'll go too far wrong with their

recommendations.

Oh no. I was mostly interested in component differences.

Does the shop have both (so she can take each for a ride)? In the end,

the
most important thing is that it's something that makes her want to get out
and ride!

They do have both and we'll definitely check both out.

As for differences between the specs, aside from the frame, you have wider
tires on the "C" model, along with a suspension seatpost and adjustable
stem. Curiously, the specs also show a smaller rear cassette on the "C"
model than the standard one, but I don't have a "C" version in stock right
now to confirm that.

What would the smaller rear cassette do? We'll probably swap out the tires
for puncture-proof armadillos, I imagine.

Preston

Old August 12th 03, 01:48 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Good price, indeed, but it still appears to be a comfort/hybrid bike
with drop bars. Suspension seatpost? What customer are they
marketing this frankenbike to, any way?

The suspension seatpost can obviously be swapped out; aside from that, I'm
not sure why you find the idea of a "comfort/hybrid" bike with drop bars to
be objectionable. Some "hybrids" are basically touring frames with drop
bars; the distinctions can become quite blurred. Looking at the geometry
for each bike, the main thing that stands out is that TREK has steepened the
seat tube angle a bit, in order to shorten the reach to the bars. The
effective top tube length, given a similar knee position over the pedal, is
probably similar for each bike. Overall the geometry charts for the Romulus
are very confusing though, and tend to reinforce the notion that a bike
needs to be fit in-person.

Regarding the "frankenbike" concept in general, the concept of a
softer-riding bike with suspension seatpost, larger tires and taller (drop)
bars is definitely catching on. I think we're seeing an evolution of the
hybrid customer moving closer to a conventional road bike, but still
concerned about comfort issues. I don't see this as a bad thing, but rather
a way to get more people traveling more miles by bicycle rather than car (or
simply choosing cycling as their preferred recreational activity over any
number of other things).

Curiously, you have me defending a product I really haven't sold. My
preference is to set people up on a conventional road bike, believing that
most people's fears of discomfort are a result of somebody's goofy idea of
fit (flat back, riding on the drops, seats that "you'll get used to" etc).
However, I'm looking to stock more of these in the coming months, as I
believe they're more appropriate than the hybrids (with upright bars) they
might otherwise buy.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old August 12th 03, 02:34 AM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

You've essentially described a Specialized Sequoiah.

Curiously, you have me defending a product I really haven't sold. My
preference is to set people up on a conventional road bike, believing that
most people's fears of discomfort are a result of somebody's goofy idea of
fit (flat back, riding on the drops, seats that "you'll get used to" etc).
However, I'm looking to stock more of these in the coming months, as I
believe they're more appropriate than the hybrids (with upright bars) they
might otherwise buy.

Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old August 12th 03, 04:49 AM
Mark Jones

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message . com...
[...]

I bought two bicycles last year. A Raleigh SC40 comfort bike and
a Trek 1200 with a horizontal bar instead of drop bars. I prefer the
SC40 by a very wide margin because of the upright position.

If I had purchased a road bike with drop bars, it probably wouldn't
be ridden much at all. I gave away my old Schwinn LeTour because
I did not like to ride it with the drop bars and there was no reason
for me to spend any money on it.

HYBRIDS: Gary Fisher / Trek / Cannondale - Your Opinions Please RJRider General 1 July 29th 03 10:33 AM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM
Back Pain - Tips for selecting a new bike (Specialized versus Trek) Elisa Francesca Roselli General 1 July 19th 03 06:20 AM
Info on 1986 Trek 620 Mark Traphagen General 2 July 12th 03 02:59 AM