what a nuisance

Old September 12th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

Default what a nuisance

Had a problem with the rear wheel on my bike last Wednesday, horrible
creaking sound coming from the rear hub. When I got home decided to take
rear hub apart to try and identify problem. I couldn't find anything obvious
so tried regreasing, then lost one of the ball bearings. Gave up, put wheel
back together and took bike to LBS on Thursday morning. Said it would be
ready early this week. Rang up Tuesday evening, they said it was the next
scheduled job and it would be done on Wednesday. Meanwhile something goes
wrong with my car so I am down to my last transport mode, the Birdy. Rang
bike shop this evening, still hadn't touched it, now told it will be ready
sometime tomorrow.

Sheer bloody frustration. If the Birdy fails there is no other way to get to
work other than by hiring a car. Perhaps I should just buy a new bike (one
that can cope with the crap weather we've had over the last six weeks).

Adam

Old September 12th 08, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:27:00 +0100
"Adam Lea" wrote:

Had a problem with the rear wheel on my bike last Wednesday, horrible
creaking sound coming from the rear hub.

Are you sure? Sometimes a problem with the bottom bracket can sound
like it's coming from the back wheel. Also did you check the frame for
cracks?

When I got home decided to
take rear hub apart to try and identify problem. I couldn't find
anything obvious so tried regreasing, then lost one of the ball
bearings. Gave up, put wheel back together and took bike to LBS on
Thursday morning. Said it would be ready early this week. Rang up
Tuesday evening, they said it was the next scheduled job and it would
be done on Wednesday. Meanwhile something goes wrong with my car so I
am down to my last transport mode, the Birdy. Rang bike shop this
evening, still hadn't touched it, now told it will be ready sometime
tomorrow.

Sheer bloody frustration. If the Birdy fails there is no other way to
get to work other than by hiring a car. Perhaps I should just buy a
new bike (one that can cope with the crap weather we've had over the
last six weeks).

Find a new bike shop - the one you're using seems to be crap.

Old September 12th 08, 02:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

"Adam Lea" wrote in message
[...]

Six weeks!
More like 6 months!
In fact it has been a somewhat "cr*p" year so far altogether!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old September 12th 08, 04:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_5_]

Adam Lea wrote:

Sheer bloody frustration. If the Birdy fails there is no other way to get to
work other than by hiring a car. Perhaps I should just buy a new bike (one
that can cope with the crap weather we've had over the last six weeks).

I learnt the importance of a spare-any spare-last year.

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk Michael Reed -- technology, gender, and geek
culture freelance writer
Old September 12th 08, 04:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_5_]

Trevor A Panther wrote:
Six weeks!
More like 6 months!
In fact it has been a somewhat "cr*p" year so far altogether!

I hear you. This year's weather has altered my entire relationship with
cycling ;-(

Old September 12th 08, 05:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sep 12, 8:27*am, "Adam Lea" wrote:

Sheer bloody frustration. If the Birdy fails there is no other way to get to
work other than by hiring a car. Perhaps I should just buy a new bike (one
that can cope with the crap weather we've had over the last six weeks).

Yup, that sounds like a great excuse for a new bike. You can never
have too many. I recommend you at least seriously consider an MTB of
some description - not ideal for commuting (assuming you don't have a
route like this: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/commute/
which coincidentally we rode today) but it gives you another option
for leisure. Even if - like me - you don't enjoy it at first, you may
find it grows on you.

Happy shopping!

James
(from the department of making-lemonade-out-of-lemons)
Old September 12th 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Adam Lea" wrote:

Had a problem with the rear wheel on my bike last Wednesday, horrible
creaking sound coming from the rear hub.

Are you sure? Sometimes a problem with the bottom bracket can sound
like it's coming from the back wheel. Also did you check the frame for
cracks?

Yes, I could feel a gritty sensation when I turned the back wheel and it was
still there when I took the wheel off and rolled it along the ground holding
it by the axle. I thought that either some dirt had got into the hub or the
hub was just worn out (it is an old bike).

Old September 12th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Trevor A Panther" wrote in message
om...

"Adam Lea" wrote in message

Sheer bloody frustration. If the Birdy fails there is no other way to get
to work other than by hiring a car. Perhaps I should just buy a new bike
(one that can cope with the crap weather we've had over the last six
weeks).

Adam

Six weeks!
More like 6 months!
In fact it has been a somewhat "cr*p" year so far altogether!

I live in the SE, which has got off lightly relative to the rest of the
country. In fact, I would say May through July here weren't too bad at all.
There have definitly been periods during that time where I have had to go
around the garden with a watering can and at one point was seriously
considering a water butt. August and September, on the other hand, have been
appalling.

Old September 12th 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
walter.smith

wrote:

Had a problem with the rear wheel on my bike last Wednesday, horrible
creaking sound coming from the rear hub. When I got home decided to take
rear hub apart to try and identify problem. I couldn't find anything obvious
so tried regreasing, then lost one of the ball bearings.

This is something I have never done - what sort of tools do you need -
I have noticed a certain amount of creaking in mine.

Old September 12th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

wrote:

Had a problem with the rear wheel on my bike last Wednesday, horrible
creaking sound coming from the rear hub. When I got home decided to take
rear hub apart to try and identify problem. I couldn't find anything obvious
so tried regreasing, then lost one of the ball bearings.

This is something I have never done - what sort of tools do you need -
I have noticed a certain amount of creaking in mine.

Assuming cup and cone bearings, you'll need a suitable sized cone
spanner (an open ended, thin bladed spanner) and a conventional
spanner. Umm, that's about it. Maybe a pair of tweezers. Some general
purpose grease. Something to clean the old grease out with.

How to guide he
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

--
Tim