Habanero shows up curved stays

Old April 13th 17, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Habanero shows up curved stays

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:46:54 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/13/2017 10:07 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 12:47:07 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

You do live in a terrible world!

Frank, how do you suppose anything ever gets changed? By sitting around and saying we don't really need it?

Do you realize that they are going to spend millions of dollars on a suicide barrier for the Golden Gate because in the last 100 years 40 people have jumped from the bridge? Meanwhile they do not have enough money to properly maintain the bridge? Because they are not painting the bridge in a continuous round, water is leaking into the suspension wires and they are rusting? So the bridge district is perfectly happy to endanger every single user for some special interest group.

And there is no stronger special interest group than motor vehicles. Our roads are being broken down by heavy trucks hauling freight designed for railroads. Instead of a private business paying for maintenance of their own facilities trucking is cheaper because you and I are footing the bill.

This is government and why they always need prodding to do the right thing

Well, if you can get Joerg elected, I'm sure he'll fix it all. His
solutions are always so obvious!

Perhaps a write-in campaign for governor? IIRC, a California governor
needn't be a U.S. native.

Consider the politics of Oakland. This city has a majority of blacks but has never had a black mayor. The rich liberals know without a shadow of a doubt that 'dem po blacks' need a nice kind liberal in charge of everything for their own good. This entire state is controlled by liberals that have exactly that belief system.

We have Black Lives Matter marching through the streets because police are killing blacks. They even make a mistake now and then when they stop a black and he makes a fast move. Young kids do stupid things. And since 50% of all murders in the US are committed by blacks the cops - even black cops - aren't about to take any chances.

I wish I could show you a picture of my old neighborhood. Every since house has steel bar fences between 7 and 9 feet tall totally surrounding where they live. With arrowheads on top. Somce sharpened. These people are scared ****less by the blacks that they live around and Black Lives Matter is marching about the one out of 1400 blacks killed by a cop.

And MOST of these blacks killed by cops is by black cops. Of course that won't be how the liberals or the media will present it.
Old April 14th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-12 18:32, John B Slocomb wrote:
Snipped
Again, your logic is faulty. You select, install and adjust your
rim brakes. I select, install and adjust my rim brakes. My rim
brakes seem to work whether wet or dry and your's do not.

As others have noticed here as well wet rim brakes have a serious
delay until serious braking forces come on. I mean a serious rain
where you still need to press on to get somewhere urgent. If you
are a fair weather rider you wouldn't know, of course.

This means that rim brakes are no good?

It does. To me a brake has to work in all situations and rim
brakes don't when they are wet. Technology has (finally!) also
progressed into the world of bicycles and we got disc brakes which
as much better.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then you are most likely NOT setting up your rim braskes properly.

Initially they were set up by a pro shop which assembled the bike. It
was a custom order. The shop caters to bicycle racing teams. Same
effect, hard rain, 1-2sec of nothing.

What brakes? What brake shoes? Some are better than others.

Shimano 600EX. First their original shoes, then all sorts of others.
Including some friggin' expensive ones such as Koolstop salmon/black. It
doesn't make much difference so right now I have started to switch to
Clarks from Brexit Country.

Old April 14th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-12 13:34, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Next time, don't move to a town designed and built by an auto
dealer that has an airport down the middle. I bet golf carts get
more infrastructure than the bicycles.

We knew Larry's wife quite well, she was a wonderful woman.
Exposure to cars does not automatically mean an aversion to
cycling. For example, a university friend of mean who works his
whole life at Mercedes Benz is also a mountain bike rider. And a
motorcycle rider.

Dude, Cameron Park is an HOA -- well, technically, a Community
Service District in a Census Designated Area. All that means is that
Cameron Park is not an incorporated municipality and that it is run
by an elected board.

So is every municipality. In Portland that is probably called city
council. In the end, same thing, after being elected they call the shots.

http://www.cameronpark.org/about-cpc...nd-governance/

It's the functional equivalent of a HOA board -- and yes, you are
subject to onerous CC&Rs. I bet they tell you what color you can
paint your house and prevent you from walking naked in front of a
window.

We have surprisingly few rules which is something I verified before
buying the house. The main thing we had to do was read and acknowledge
that we understand the rules of common use of roads by aircraft and cars.

... Anyway, pick up the phone, call Scott McNeil and tell him
that the roads in your Census Designated Area suck!

Wouldn't help much. Out here you don't even get a response when
calling in a left-turn light that is eternally red for cyclists until
a car pulls up from behind and triggers the loop circuitry.

I'm sure Larry's wife was a fine woman, but her husband apparently
built a town with lousy facilities for bikes -- and great facilities
for airplanes. Next time, move to Davis or Folsom. Or buy a plane.

Cameron Park itself isn't the problem, it's the county roads which
lack good bike facilities. Wrong priorities. It would be easy and
cheap to build a segragated bike path along Hwy 50 into the
neighboring communities yet El Dorado County is likely going to
fritter away whatever funds are available for bulldozing and paving
singletrack. I use that singletrack a lot and it is fine as-is.
Besides, it is too far out most people interested in cycling.

As usual, you argue against yourself. In one post, you say "Complaining
does help. BTDT." In another post you say "... you don't even get a
response..."

You need to learn to differentiate. Yes, there are cases where a legal
fight is well worth it. BTDT. Then there are fights that are not worth
it. Like the one we are talking about.

Again, if you think your solutions would be so "easy and cheap," run for
office. If it's so obvious and easy and cheap, you should be able to
convince the electorate, then implement your plans.

It would only work if they made me the emperor of El Dorado County and
there'd be nobody with special interest in mind who'd vote it all down.

But for gosh sakes, don't let on that you rejected another town because
of its high taxes! Taxes are what paid for the paradise of segregated
facilities you loved in the Netherlands!

We already pay just about the highest taxes in the nation but the
traffic infrastructure is the pits. It all goes into fat pensions caused
by corruption. California could do better but there is no willingness.

Old April 14th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-04-12 13:02, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Like most such American trails, [the long trail near me is] on an
abandoned railroad right of
way. It was abandoned because there wasn't much profit in serving the
businesses it reaches. It's foolishly idealistic to pretend that many
other businesses are going to locate along it, instead of places with
good motor vehicle access.

Provide a link to that bike path, please. Then we can all check that out.

I don't know of one link to the entire trail. It traverses four
counties and has at least three different names, but it's all on the
same abandoned railroad right of way. It's possible to follow it all by
scrolling along Google Maps, but some newer portions are still not on
Google Maps.

Northern portion, just south of Lake Erie, with the northern terminus is
a somewhat sketchy neighborhood in Ashtabula:
https://www.traillink.com/trail-maps...erve-greenway/

That's a junk site, requires registration.

Middle portion:
http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/w...06/BKWYmap.pdf

Thanks, that allowed my to find it on maps. Indeed, other than near
Victoria Road I see no industrial areas nearby this trail. Or anywhere
in the neighborhood for that matter. Just lots of shops and malls. Where
do people work?

Our rail trail (singletrack) runs right past one of my clients in an
industrial park. The paved part goes through a city and some residential
areas. Because this rail line used to haul freight industry tended to
grow near that railroad. My software engineer also lives there, his
backyard borders the trail. It also leads past three brewpubs and some
good eateries which is really cool. The paved section sees good usage.
Same for the longhaul bike paths in the valley, to the point where I try
to avoid rush hour times.

Southern portion: http://www.bicycletrail.com/Greenway-Map.htm

There are just a few discontinuities. There are about three miles
missing where you ride a nearly deserted country road between
Washingtonville and Western Reserve Road. And you have to ride about
three miles of fairly quiet streets to get from the center of Niles to
the southernmost section in Warren.

Quiet streets are ok, no need for bike paths there.

... In both places, the problem is
exactly what I said earlier: It's been impossible to purchase the right
of way. Oddly enough, when people own land, they often like to keep it.
That's especially true in towns, where there is commercial activity.

There were some kerfuffles about that here as well. However, the
railroad right-of-way turned out to trump everything and IIRC they had
turned that over to the county. There is AFAIK some caveat in that the
right-of-way can be lost if no rail operations or MUP are happening
(abandonment). One farmer became a bit belligerent but he has relented
and took the warning signs on the trail down. I never saw him and don't
have any bullet holes in my MTB.

Still, there are over 80 miles of paved, segregated path. But nobody
thinks of it as a "bicycle freeway." For 99.99% of the users, it's a
place to take your bike off the car rack, ride back and forth a few
miles, then drive back home. It's existence has probably increased, not
decreased, the use of cars in this area.

Yeah, that rail trails sure doesn't go through important areas. I wonder
why they built the railroad in the first place. Out here they usually
run through the middle of towns and industrial parks. No so much
residential areas which is why connectors are very important. I tried to
drive that need home many times with body politicus, to no avail. They
don't get it.

Old April 14th 17, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-04-13 16:19, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:37:11 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On April 13, 2017, jbeattie wrote:

- snip snippy snip-
I so wish someone would offer an o-ringed bike chain. To
hell with efficiency and all that, I just want to ride and
not start hearing squeaks after every little rain.

I am not an expert but a quick perusal of motorcycle chain
seems to indicate that o-ring 1/2" pitch chain exists. For
any single speed or internal gearbox setup, a wider chain
would work just fine as long as it's 1/2".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 14th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On April 13, 2017, jbeattie wrote:

- snip snippy snip-
I so wish someone would offer an o-ringed bike chain. To
hell with efficiency and all that, I just want to ride and
not start hearing squeaks after every little rain.

I am not an expert but a quick perusal of motorcycle chain seems to
indicate that o-ring 1/2" pitch chain exists. For any single speed or
internal gearbox setup, a wider chain would work just fine as long as
it's 1/2".

Unfortunately my bikes are all derailer types, two with 7-speed and one
10-speed (but that could be "downgraded"). I really don't want to spend
1.5 kilobucks on a Rohloff.

Old April 14th 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
On April 13, 2017, jbeattie wrote:

- snip snippy snip-
I so wish someone would offer an o-ringed bike chain. To
hell with efficiency and all that, I just want to ride and
not start hearing squeaks after every little rain.

I am not an expert but a quick perusal of motorcycle chain
seems to
indicate that o-ring 1/2" pitch chain exists. For any
single speed or
internal gearbox setup, a wider chain would work just fine
as long as
it's 1/2".

Unfortunately my bikes are all derailer types, two with
7-speed and one 10-speed (but that could be "downgraded"). I
really don't want to spend 1.5 kilobucks on a Rohloff.

There will never be an o-ring derailleur chain, requirements
for those two formats being diametrically opposed.

Old April 14th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/13/2017 7:52 PM, Joerg wrote:

Yeah, that rail trails sure doesn't go through important areas. I wonder
why they built the railroad in the first place.

I don't know much about its history, but I was told the southern
portion, at least, dates to at least the 1860s. It was used during the
Civil War.

Later (late 1800s, early 1900s) it probably connected the coal mining
areas and the now historic coke ovens in Leetonia with the iron and
steel industry in Warren and Youngstown. Also, the port of Ashtabula at
its northern end brought in millions of tons of iron ore to feed those
same iron and steel mills. Perhaps this was one of the shipping routes
south.

But around here, it's possible to ride fairly remote country roads and
find active or defunct railroad crossings that generate the same
question: "Why is that here?" There must have been a sensible answer at
one time. They were all built using private money in order to make a
profit. Keep in mind, this is an area that was densely settled long
before motor vehicles, back when canals were the high-tech method of
shipping goods. When railroads took over from canals they probably
slapped lots of them down. Far faster and cheaper than hauling things
using wagons and horses.

And incidentally, those early railroads were sometimes built using
aggressive and illegal tactics. I recall reading a local story about
crews of toughs ramming rails through other's property, working at night
and fighting off the owners if necessary. I assume bribes were used to
protect their new infrastructure.

But those tactics don't work as well for modern day bike trails. The
three miles of this trail from Washingtonville to Western Reserve Road
is being stopped by farmers who just don't want to sell. No particular
reason - it's at the edge of their land and isn't very valuable - but
they just don't want to sell, so it can't be used. OTOH, if a right of
way does connect commercially valuable locations, it's probably got
trains running on it, and nobody will want to sell that either.

So what you get is a rail trail connecting nowhere to nowhere else.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 14th 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 07:07:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

A long time ago when I lived in Riverside the city of Los Angeles had
an item on the ballot whether L.A. should build a rapid transit
system. They were very open about the option in that if the voters
selected this option an additional tax would be required to pay for
it. This was voted down in two elections in a row and the, apparently,
the city abandoned the idea.

Of course, a city can elect to borrow money and not increase taxes
just as Greece did...
Old April 14th 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:46:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/13/2017 10:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Do any states require the governor to be a native born citizen?

But, assuming a reasonably competent opposition, someone will ask
Joreg, when he gets into his tirade about "Danger, Danger", why it is
that the CHP study of traffic accidents in L.A. country demonstrated
that in more than half of the bicycle - auto collisions the bicycle
was at fault, and suggest that perhaps better law enforcement might be
a cheaper solution.

Curved Spine from trials lpounds Unicycling 12 August 26th 08 06:54 PM
Triangular curved spokes! [email protected] Techniques 0 May 23rd 07 06:52 AM
Curved seat stays Nobody Techniques 16 May 8th 05 11:35 AM
curved bmx seatpost on a coker teachndad Unicycling 0 January 31st 05 07:49 AM
curved or straight frames? Worminton Unicycling 16 July 18th 04 01:18 PM