Mountain bike vs. 10-speed?

Old May 24th 04, 12:41 PM
Brett

Default Mountain bike vs. 10-speed?

Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
mountain bike? Why?

I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

Thanks,
Brett
Old May 24th 04, 01:21 PM
Zilla

Brett wrote:
Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
mountain bike? Why?

I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

Thanks,
Brett

You probably see "road bikes" going past you. With slick tires
and at 20 lbs, roadies have the advantage on pavement.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old May 24th 04, 01:31 PM
TJ

"Brett" wrote in message
om...
Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
mountain bike? Why?

I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

Thanks,
Brett

When I see the word " Ten Speed" I think of Schwinn Varsity, and the '70s.
Do you mean road bike?

TJ.
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

Old May 24th 04, 07:43 PM
JD

"TJ" wrote in message ...
"Brett" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I wonder if the people passing him on ten speeds have the bars
upturned "dui bike"style. My guess is that a Varsity is about 30-35
lbs.

JD
Old May 24th 04, 08:46 PM
Ozman Trad

"JD" wrote in message

ten speeds have the bars upturned "dui bike"style.

another 'mullet and bandana' ride

Old May 24th 04, 11:57 PM
Zilla

JD wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
"Brett" wrote in message
om...
[...]

LOL! He meant 10 speeds "total". I thought he just
meant the rear cassette is a 10-speed.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old May 25th 04, 01:21 AM
Xx

Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

"Zilla" wrote in message
JD wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
om...

Old May 25th 04, 01:45 AM
Shawn Curry

Xx wrote:

Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

Right, makes all the difference.
LOL

Shawn
Old May 25th 04, 10:34 AM
TJ

"Shawn Curry" wrote in message
Xx wrote:

Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce.

From
personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

Right, makes all the difference.
LOL

Shawn

I'm falling out of my chair. LMMFAO!

Thanks, Shawn.

TJ.
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

Old May 25th 04, 10:07 PM
Brett

"Xx" wrote in message . ..
Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

Are you saying mountain bikes have a lower gear ratio than the road bikes?

Brett