Repost: Photographing Hills - difficult?

Old October 26th 04, 05:28 AM
Badger South

Default Repost: Photographing Hills - difficult?

[Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
will give right perspective.)

The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
just a promo picture.

-B

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

---------

Here's a longshot:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn2.jpg

---------

Here's the instructions for riding:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn3.jpg
*(see how tiny that car is? It's a Hyoooge car). ;-
cautiondialup, larger file.)

Yep, I test-rode that yesterday...but only from there, up to where it
flattens out, around the corner (250yds?).

Here's an _actual_ picture of a hill.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...d=men/CRW_4263

-B
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn4.jpg
I'm off-camera thinking of having a nosebleed. (j/k)
cautiondialup, both larger files.)
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Monticello1.jpg
Suitable for wallp? Run out from bike trail, wooden bridge.

Old October 26th 04, 02:16 PM
Beverly

"Badger South" wrote in message
[Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
will give right perspective.)

The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
just a promo picture.

-B

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

I love reading about the places others in the group ride. It gives me ideas
on where to ride on vacations. Here's where I do some of my riding. It's
one of the local Metro Parks about 2 miles from home. It's about 8 miles
out and back - mostly hills and curves. I may have to try your method of
photographing the hills. Most of these were taken with the camera at eye
level.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/uowenb...r=d5db&.src=ph

Beverly

---------

Old October 26th 04, 11:20 PM
GaryG

"Badger South" wrote in message
[Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
will give right perspective.)

The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
just a promo picture.

Well, it helps to have a real hill, and a decent camera. I've also found
that most hill photos look best when taken from the bottom of the hill.
With the riders going up (away from the camera), there's more more drama,
and a better perspective on the climb. It also helps if you follow the
"rule of thirds" (see
http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutoria...se/thirds.html - this is
one of the most basic rules of photography, and the single most significant
thing that will improve the photos most folks take).

Here's some examples from my recent trips:

Riding around Mt. Lassen last June:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...4/RAML_012.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/6r5jh )

Riding up the Col d'Glandon in France, last July:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...DF2004_010.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/5dmx2 ).

Sometimes, you can get a dramatic shot from the top of a climb, especially
if you can convince a mountain goat to pose for you (from the Bicycle Tour
of Colorado, in 2003):

http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...03/BTC0042.htm (or,
http://tinyurl.com/4fop6 )

~_-*
....G/ \G

Old October 27th 04, 12:26 AM
Tim McNamara

"GaryG" writes:

"Badger South" wrote in message
[Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a
'wall', where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up
to the apple orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera
parallel to flat, which will give right perspective.)

The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the
store, just a promo picture.

Well, it helps to have a real hill, and a decent camera. I've also
found that most hill photos look best when taken from the bottom of
the hill. With the riders going up (away from the camera), there's
more more drama, and a better perspective on the climb.

snip

Some hills are easier than others to capture on film, too. Hills with
a lot of vertical gain and switchbacks, for example, such as one finds
in the Alps.

Here's some examples from my recent trips:

snip

Excellent photos!