The New Style Campagnolo Levers.

Old May 4th 21, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default The New Style Campagnolo Levers.

There was a set of the new style Campy levers and since they were 10 speed I bought them. They came in yesterday and here I am looking at them and for the life of me I cannot see any means of threading the shift cables into them.

Can anyone explain how to do that? It is totally different from the older style levers.
Old May 4th 21, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 6:15:35 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
There was a set of the new style Campy levers and since they were 10 speed I bought them. They came in yesterday and here I am looking at them and for the life of me I cannot see any means of threading the shift cables into them.

Can anyone explain how to do that? It is totally different from the older style levers.

Finally figured it out but without a doubt this is the crappiest design possible. Campy has always been known for artistic engineering but I'm left with the idea that in this case, art came well before engineering.
Old May 4th 21, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/4/2021 8:15 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
There was a set of the new style Campy levers and since they were 10 speed I bought them. They came in yesterday and here I am looking at them and for the life of me I cannot see any means of threading the shift cables into them.

Can anyone explain how to do that? It is totally different from the older style levers.

Turn it over.
Wire passes through the gear lever slot straight into the cam.
You can see it better if you peel the rubber cover back.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 4th 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 8:19:32 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/4/2021 8:15 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
There was a set of the new style Campy levers and since they were 10 speed I bought them. They came in yesterday and here I am looking at them and for the life of me I cannot see any means of threading the shift cables into them.

Can anyone explain how to do that? It is totally different from the older style levers.

Turn it over.
Wire passes through the gear lever slot straight into the cam.
You can see it better if you peel the rubber cover back.

I dug around there for an hour before I peeled that soft and breakable cover back far enough to see that slot. I assume that you have to have it all the way released to hit the lever correctly. I expect that if you had the lever manual it would explain all of that but one never knows about the Italians.

BTW, I have about four Zitto bottom brackets for FSA cranks since for awhile you couldn't get the FSA BB's I would like to know how the hell I installed them since I have a dozen different BB installation tools and none of them fit those cups. Since I was going to throw them away anyway, I took a pipe wrench to them and will never again buy any Chinese bottom brackets since they don't feel the necessity to stick to some sort of standard. I installed the Campy cups and need to wait a couple of days for the USPS to deliver the wavy washer and the circlip which I lost somewhere that will immediately turn up the second I don't need them.

After I have these three bikes together and the three others sold, I will sell off all of the Shimano spares such as what looks like a 32 tooth 7 speed Shimano cassette. I can't even remember owning a bike that would have used that.
Old May 4th 21, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/4/2021 11:31 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Big pictures in several languages just like every modern
shifter. Ergo wire routes are simple drop-through paths.

Alternate: EPS

Old May 4th 21, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 10:09:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The older ultrashifter was NOT a drop through and I'm sure that in some ways this is a great improvement. But having to peel the rubber covering back like peeling an orange is no improvement. It looks like I would tear the rubber covering to get it back far enough to tighten the torgue nut or whatever its called which name escapes me.
Old May 4th 21, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/4/2021 12:33 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I don't know what 'ultrashifter' means.

Campagnolo Ergo since 1992 are straight drop-through using
the slot in the cover.

I suggested peeling it back so you could see the cam.

Old May 4th 21, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32460311686...AOSwLahgj1k U
Old May 4th 21, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 1:07:52 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

If these levers simply say "10" on them, they've been put together out of repair parts
Old May 4th 21, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/4/2021 3:19 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Nope that's a standard Record Ergo Ten for 2004 or 2005 (?).
Nice product, last series with rebuildable (steel internals)
shift mechanism.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

campagnolo 9 speed levers new vs old Fred Techniques 6 September 18th 12 09:45 PM
Old Style Campag Ergo levers hoods/rubbers - where to get them ? [email protected] UK 1 June 25th 06 09:30 AM
FS: Campagnolo C-Record Brake Levers Mark D Marketplace 0 February 7th 06 11:38 AM
wtb: pr. Brake levers w/ WHITE hoods aero style jeremyb Marketplace 2 January 23rd 05 03:52 PM
F/S CAMPAGNOLO ERGO LEVERS CritUSA Marketplace 0 August 28th 03 12:10 PM