Why does my small ring feel so big in the cold?

Old November 14th 04, 02:08 AM
Mark Scardiglia

Default Why does my small ring feel so big in the cold?

I'm OK riding in the colder weather, but it never ceases to amaze me
how much more work it seems to be to make the bike go once it gets
below 40 degrees. Just don't tell me it's mostly got to do with the
density of the air...

;-)
Old November 14th 04, 07:52 AM
Peter

Tim McNamara wrote:
(Mark Scardiglia) writes:

I'm OK riding in the colder weather, but it never ceases to amaze me
how much more work it seems to be to make the bike go once it gets
below 40 degrees. Just don't tell me it's mostly got to do with the
density of the air...

I was wondering this today. When it's cold out, my average speed
drops and my subjective effort increases. I think that it may have to
do with the fact that cold weather tends to occur with short daylight
hours and less riding, which in turn leads to less fitness and slower
speeds and more subjective effort. In other words, I'm out of shape
when it's cold out.

If that were the main effect I'd expect to still feel slow on days in
the winter that are exceptionally warm. But I've found that a bike ride
feels particularly effortless on such days. Conversely an early cold
snap has an immediate effect on perceived effort - long before any loss
of fitness could occur. I'd attribute part of the effect to the need
for more clothing and partly to physiological factors; e.g. your body
needs to expend more energy on keeping warm and I'd expect some
efficiency losses in the lungs as blood vessels contract in response to
cold air.

Despite that, I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of
unseasonably warm and clear November weather here in Minnesota to get
in a 180 mile week. Usually by now we have had at least a 1" snow
fall; instead it's been in the mid-40s F.

That's better than I managed this week in the much warmer but wetter
SF bay area. Born in Minn., grew up in ND, glad to have escaped.

Old November 14th 04, 03:00 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Peter" wrote in message
| Tim McNamara wrote:
| (Mark Scardiglia) writes:
|

| I'm OK riding in the colder weather, but it never ceases to amaze me
| how much more work it seems to be to make the bike go once it gets
| below 40 degrees. Just don't tell me it's mostly got to do with the
| density of the air...
|

| I was wondering this today. When it's cold out, my average speed
| drops and my subjective effort increases. I think that it may have to
| do with the fact that cold weather tends to occur with short daylight
| hours and less riding, which in turn leads to less fitness and slower
| speeds and more subjective effort. In other words, I'm out of shape
| when it's cold out.
|
| If that were the main effect I'd expect to still feel slow on days in
| the winter that are exceptionally warm. But I've found that a bike ride
| feels particularly effortless on such days. Conversely an early cold
| snap has an immediate effect on perceived effort - long before any loss
| of fitness could occur. I'd attribute part of the effect to the need
| for more clothing and partly to physiological factors; e.g. your body
| needs to expend more energy on keeping warm and I'd expect some
| efficiency losses in the lungs as blood vessels contract in response to
| cold air.
|
| Despite that, I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of
| unseasonably warm and clear November weather here in Minnesota to get
| in a 180 mile week. Usually by now we have had at least a 1" snow
| fall; instead it's been in the mid-40s F.
|
| That's better than I managed this week in the much warmer but wetter
| SF bay area. Born in Minn., grew up in ND, glad to have escaped.

I have attributed the 'more fatigue/ energy input req'd' cold weather
phenomena to two things, primarily:

It takes a fair bit of energy to warm the air one breathes.
and
Cold weather clothing is a bit heavier, and far more constricting than
typical summer wear.

Whether or not they have a discernable effect, all the bike's lubricants
will be more viscous.

Working outside in the winter has a similar effect; increasing fatigue,
appetite/ energy consumption, and rest requirements.

ED3
St.Paul

Old November 14th 04, 03:00 PM
Edward Dike, III

Old November 15th 04, 05:44 PM
Raptor

Cold air is also drier than warm air: better hydration needed.

But... How sure are we that it's harder? I see a lot of "seems like" and
"feels like" in this thread. Forgive me if I haven't read everything
carefully enough, but is anyone numerically confident that riding in the
cold is slower?

If so, I suspect the biggest difference is aerodynamic. Cold weather
clothing is bulkier with more folds & fibers to catch wind.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old November 15th 04, 05:44 PM
Raptor

Cold air is also drier than warm air: better hydration needed.

But... How sure are we that it's harder? I see a lot of "seems like" and
"feels like" in this thread. Forgive me if I haven't read everything
carefully enough, but is anyone numerically confident that riding in the
cold is slower?

If so, I suspect the biggest difference is aerodynamic. Cold weather
clothing is bulkier with more folds & fibers to catch wind.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Biking Shoes Bob Slebodnik Recumbent Biking 48 October 21st 04 11:46 AM
Single front ring w/9spd cassette FlyingCoyote Mountain Biking 3 February 13th 04 01:06 AM
cold weather and bell volume Tanya Quinn General 4 November 19th 03 03:04 AM
Cold weather and numb noses Gadget UK 19 October 22nd 03 08:21 PM
Cold weather clothing stamkis Mountain Biking 9 October 20th 03 03:18 AM