I prefer...

Old February 7th 05, 04:30 AM
TimC

Default I prefer...

The cold rainy miserable version of summer we were having. Could we
have it back, please Brisbane?

Been down to Kooyong station recently? On the way back from
yesterday's ride, I thought "that looks kind of odd - I didn't think
the yarra was that wide, nor up here. And that cricket score board
sure is placed in an odd place on the edge of a river. Oh look! The
tennis courts are under water too!". Sure is a lot of water there...

I repaired that blowout I got yesterday, and put the fixed tube back
in my collection of tubes. I replaced the tube on the bike with a new
tube. It went flat overnight. I couldn't find the hole in my quick
search this morning, so I put the patched tube back on -- but because
the patch was in an awkward position, right next to the valve, it only
held for about a km this morning before the side of it let out a quick
gust of air. Sigh. So another new tube it is then... Let's see if it
will hold til tonight!

Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't
happen at once.

And space is so that it doesn't all happen to you.
-- Matthew L. Martin and John D Salt @ ARK
Old February 7th 05, 04:55 AM
GPLama

TimC wrote:
[...]

Sounds like that purple and orange monster is angry for being ridden so
hard on Sunday!

GPL
Old February 7th 05, 05:03 AM
hippy

TimC wrote:
I repaired that blowout I got yesterday, and put the fixed tube back
in my collection of tubes. I replaced the tube on the bike with a new
tube. It went flat overnight. I couldn't find the hole in my quick
search this morning, so I put the patched tube back on -- but because
the patch was in an awkward position, right next to the valve, it only
held for about a km this morning before the side of it let out a quick
gust of air. Sigh. So another new tube it is then... Let's see if it
will hold til tonight!

Inflated to the correct pressure? Bur(r)s taken off the rim, spoke ends,
valve hole? Good rim tape fitted? Tyre in reasonable condition and
cleared of sharp stuff?

hippy
"something is wrong with this picture.."
Old February 7th 05, 05:40 AM
TimC

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 at 04:03 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:
I repaired that blowout I got yesterday, and put the fixed tube back
in my collection of tubes. I replaced the tube on the bike with a new
tube. It went flat overnight. I couldn't find the hole in my quick
search this morning, so I put the patched tube back on -- but because
the patch was in an awkward position, right next to the valve, it only
held for about a km this morning before the side of it let out a quick
gust of air. Sigh. So another new tube it is then... Let's see if it
will hold til tonight!

Inflated to the correct pressure? Bur(r)s taken off the rim, spoke ends,
valve hole? Good rim tape fitted? Tyre in reasonable condition and
cleared of sharp stuff?

The only 2 things I am unsure about is the quality of the rim tape,
but seems OK, and pressure...

I inflated the tube that went pop quite higher than usual to go for
the BR, but it didn't seem harder than when it came back from Pegasus
last service. I forgot to pick up a gauge when I was at the LBS. For
that matter, I forgot to ask about bandanas. Where the heck do you buy
bandanas in this damn city - no other (non L and L)BS seems to sell
them? I don't like this burning feeling

Hopefully this one won't go down, and I will only have to take one pet
monster to the monster vet today. And least this one doesn't have an
infection on its head.

Dijkstra probably hates me
(Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)
Old February 7th 05, 06:11 AM
craigster_jd

TimC Wrote:

Where the heck do you buy
bandanas in this damn city - no other (non L and L)BS seems to sell
them? I don't like this burning feeling

The Assos shop in South Melbourne do nice lightweight ones.

http://www.assos.com.au

Cheers,
Craigster

--
craigster_jd

Old February 7th 05, 06:50 AM
NickZX6R

TimC wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 at 04:03 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)

TimC wrote:

snip

The only 2 things I am unsure about is the quality of the rim tape,
but seems OK, and pressure...

snip

I had some worn rim tape that caused 3 punctures before I realised it
was the real cause. The tape didn't look damaged but is was weak enough
that the pressure forced the tube onto the spoke end.

BTW, good quality tape costs around $6 last time I bought some. Cheap
insurance I think. No doubt the tape on a GVBR bike is not likely to be
good quality.

Cheers.
-Nick

Old February 7th 05, 08:20 AM
Bob Mc Corkle

"TimC" wrote in message
The cold rainy miserable version of summer we were having. Could we
have it back, please Brisbane?

Been down to Kooyong station recently? On the way back from
yesterday's ride, I thought "that looks kind of odd - I didn't think
the yarra was that wide, nor up here. And that cricket score board
sure is placed in an odd place on the edge of a river. Oh look! The
tennis courts are under water too!". Sure is a lot of water there...

try the bike path past kooyong and St Kevins. St Kevins looks like a man
made lake. And they are pumping it out with what looks like two large garden
hoses. Don't think it will be finished for the end of the football season at
the current rate. Kooyong seems to be doing a little better, though its
still a lake.

Of course Scotch College had a higher levy bank than everyone else and were
hardly affected.

Old February 7th 05, 08:37 AM
HughMann

TimC Wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 at 04:03 GMT, TimC wrote:
, I forgot to ask about bandanas. Where the heck do you buy
bandanas in this damn city - no other (non L and L)BS seems to sell
them? I don't like this burning feeling

--
TimC --

The tropical sun up here will give bad sunburn in 30 minutes.

I have made my own bandanas. My "hat rediculous troops for the use of
is size 57 and I think thats about average. A piece of unbleache
calico 500mm x 500mm with a small hem does the trick. Tie dye o
colours up to you. Thats a good size because the material is 1.5
wide and that will give 3 bandanas for about $4.

Ratbags I ride with wanted to know how I manage to ride with a parro
on my shoulder and where my eye patch was.

Not a Pirate
Hugh

Who is much too tall for his hair

--