Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

Old February 10th 04, 06:43 AM
Critic

Default Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

Old February 10th 04, 03:24 PM
Doug Huffman

I ANAL I am not a lawyer.

I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed
my permit).

Line by line....

"...charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and weapons
offenses." He certainly did these things. Note that the assault was the
'wave' and the weapons offenses are likely the manner that he carried.
There is no indication that they are status violations, i.e., that he is a
felon disbarred of his 2A Rights.

"...when he drove past him in his pickup truck Saturday, he made an obscene
gesture." Possibly true but improvable without witnesses. If you 'wave'
while armed or unarmed then make it a full five fingered wave. Let 'em read
between the lines if they're literate. If they are not literate then they
are dumb enough to 'turn around'. The first element of common law
self-defense is 'be innocent of instigation'.

"...turned around and drove toward,..." this is an assault. A reasonable
man felt threatened and in imminent danger of great bodily harm from an
instrumentality with means and motive.

"...pulled out a pistol and threatened to shoot,..." Mistake. Keep the
pistol concealed until you MUST shoot and then shoot without hesitation. To
do otherwise leads to this current situation or at least charges of
'brandishing'.

"reached into the truck and shot [him] once in the arm" The key statement
of the article. If the driver stopped then he was not innocent and did not
attempt to retreat or even to secure himself by locking and rolling up the
windows. The driver did not feel threatened and had little 'respect' for
the cyclist. The case will hang on the factual basis for this statement by
the reporter.

"...rode away on his bike." Fleeing or retreating from further combat?

"...rammed Urick off his bike and they fought briefly until Urick fled
again." The driver should face charges.

"...told him to get off the road." I regard this as an assault in my
personal life and immediately evaluate my self-defense status.

An automobile is a deadly weapon. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades
as common sense.

Old February 10th 04, 05:14 PM
Dick Durbin

"Critic" wrote in message ...
I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the
newspaper article? The guy was arrested for shooting the driver.

Dick Durbin
Old February 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Jym Dyer

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

=v= I ain't taking sides one way or another, but I will point
out that the article's lead-in isn't particularly fair:

| ... a confrontation that began when the man pedaling the bike
| made an obscene gesture, police said.

It's unfair because the bicyclist's version of events is that
the confrontation began before that: when the motorist told
him to get off the road.

=v= Also unclear is whose deadly weapon was wielded first:

Nicoletti said he turned around and drove toward Urick ...

=v= Also, another story differs in some details:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04040/270970.stm

_Jym_
Old February 10th 04, 09:16 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...
I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

He wasn't arrested for taking the lane, he was arrested for shooting someone
else. The article does not have enough information to really tell what
happened.
------------
Alex

Old February 11th 04, 03:41 AM
Bill Z.

Alex Rodriguez writes:

In article ,
says...
I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

He wasn't arrested for taking the lane, he was arrested for shooting someone
else. The article does not have enough information to really tell what
happened.

Oh, I can make a guess what happened, based on personal experience with
aggressive drivers. I once filed a criminal complaint against a driver
who made multiple attempts to run me off the road or worse, and our
f___wit district attorney refused to prosecute and lied to me repeatedly
when I merely tried to find out the status of the case. They didn't
even have the decency to answer a simple yes/no question about whether
they would prosecute him or not.

Bill

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old February 11th 04, 05:49 AM
Critic

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...
"Critic" wrote in message

I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did.

That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard

of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the
newspaper article? The guy was arrested for shooting the driver.

Dick Durbin

Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist, and when the
cyclist responded with a gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just
driving off turned around and threatened the cyclist who was forced to
defend himself. The driver then, once again, tried to run the cyclist down
with his vehicle. The whole problem,
from the hillbilly's point of view, is that this cyclist was on HIS road
taking up HIS LANE!

DO YOU RIDE? Do you have any idea how many dumb**** hillbillies in pickup
trucks have no regard for the rules of the road and intentionally try to
harm cyclists? (I do because it has happened to me.)

Old February 11th 04, 03:31 PM
Dick Durbin

"Critic" wrote in message ...
Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the
newspaper article? The guy was arrested for shooting the driver.

Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist, and when the
cyclist responded with a gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just
driving off turned around and threatened the cyclist who was forced to
defend himself. The driver then, once again, tried to run the cyclist down
with his vehicle. The whole problem,
from the hillbilly's point of view, is that this cyclist was on HIS road
taking up HIS LANE!

DO YOU RIDE? Do you have any idea how many dumb**** hillbillies in pickup
trucks have no regard for the rules of the road and intentionally try to
harm cyclists? (I do because it has happened to me.)

You ignored my question. The cyclist was arrested for shooting the
truck driver, not for taking the lane. Whether he was justified in
shooting the driver will be up to the courts to decide.

Yes, I ride. I have a lot less trouble with guys in pickumup trucks
than I do with self-important Stepford wives in SUVs or gangsta
wannabees in Honda Civics.

Dick Durbin
Old February 11th 04, 08:01 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...
"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
. com...
"Critic" wrote in message

I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did.

That is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard

of a
motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

Gimme a hint. How did you come up with that subject line based on the
newspaper article? The guy was arrested for shooting the driver.

Dick Durbin

Here's how. The driver of the vehicle crowded the cyclist,

I must have missed that part of the article.

and when the
cyclist responded with a gesture of disapproval, the driver, instead of just
driving off turned around and threatened the cyclist who was forced to
defend himself. The driver then, once again, tried to run the cyclist down
with his vehicle. The whole problem,
from the hillbilly's point of view, is that this cyclist was on HIS road
taking up HIS LANE!

I also missed the part in the article that said the cyclist was in a lane
of traffic. For all we know, he could have been riding on the shoulder
the whole time. No way to tell from the article.

-------------
Alex

Old February 15th 04, 11:34 PM
onefred

"Critic" wrote in message
I have to admit I have often felt like doing what this cyclist did. That

is
one reason I now only ride off-road. When was the last time you heard of

motorist being chaged with attempted homicide for running down a cyclist
with a 2-ton pick-up?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGACVA1QGQD.html

Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin
pistol??? That's CRAZY!

DAve

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
An update: building awareness of cycling issues Jem Berkes General 85 December 19th 03 07:27 PM
Ran over my first "cyclist" today. Buck General 52 September 23rd 03 08:50 PM
"Debris in the Bike Lane" MY ASS! Top Sirloin Racing 31 September 23rd 03 01:33 PM