has anyone tried the schlumpf mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?

Old December 20th 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default has anyone tried the schlumpf mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has tried the schlumpf mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?
http://www.schlumpf.ch
Particular on a HP Velotechnik spirit that i consider buying.

JonB
Old December 20th 07, 11:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has tried the schlumpf
mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?
http://www.schlumpf.ch
Particular on a HP Velotechnik spirit that i consider buying.

I have tried it, and it works very nicely. I know a couple of folk with
Broms (one with an underdrive, one with an overdrive) with them that are
very happy.

Ben Cooper at Kinetics (http://kinetics.org.uk/) has certainly fitted
Schlumpfs to HPVel Grasshoppers so he can probably tell you what's
involved and pros and cons. The Spirit has a range of gearing options
available and you might want to consider one with a bigger basic range
that would save you the bother of a Schlumpf to start with, assuming you
haven't got it yet. For example, a DualDrive 24 speed gear set will
give you a pretty big range and costs 129 Euros extra according to
HPVel's price list, rather less than a Schlumpf. Or for rather more
than the Schlumpf you can get a Rohloff which has various practical
advantages for your money (such as not being at the wrong end of the
gears when you switch the Schlumpf).

Another thing is the Spirit is primarily aimed at "everyday" use, where
the default 8 speed hub should see you through things pretty well. if
you're thinking of taking it on long trips you may be better off on
something like a Grasshopper or Streetmachine. They're not as
immediately comfy and are fiddlier in traffic etc., but are more
aerodynamic and take more weight on your back so often work better over
a long ride.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 20th 07, 01:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Peter Clinch wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has tried the schlumpf
mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?
http://www.schlumpf.ch
Particular on a HP Velotechnik spirit that i consider buying.

I have tried it, and it works very nicely. I know a couple of folk with
Broms (one with an underdrive, one with an overdrive) with them that are
very happy.

How easy is it to change using the heel? thats not the most
agile part of a body, and do you ever change by accident?

Ben Cooper at Kinetics (http://kinetics.org.uk/) has certainly fitted
Schlumpfs to HPVel Grasshoppers so he can probably tell you what's
involved and pros and cons. The Spirit has a range of gearing options
available and you might want to consider one with a bigger basic range
that would save you the bother of a Schlumpf to start with, assuming you
haven't got it yet. For example, a DualDrive 24 speed gear set will
give you a pretty big range and costs 129 Euros extra according to
HPVel's price list, rather less than a Schlumpf. Or for rather more
than the Schlumpf you can get a Rohloff which has various practical
advantages for your money (such as not being at the wrong end of the
gears when you switch the Schlumpf).

I think the Rohloff is far to expensive.
I do not like derailure gears, mostly because i never ever clean it.
I have one now, and i just dont want to spend time cleaning it.
It works fine? but my local bike mekanic is always saying i should
clean it. I just never get arround to do it. Maybe it's because he's
a road racing kind of guy.

I would like a NuVinci, but i am not sure i can buy one without a bike.
So i was thinking that i could combine a regular internal hub with a
schlumpf drive to get a bigger gear range.

Another thing is the Spirit is primarily aimed at "everyday" use, where
the default 8 speed hub should see you through things pretty well. if
you're thinking of taking it on long trips you may be better off on
something like a Grasshopper or Streetmachine. They're not as
immediately comfy and are fiddlier in traffic etc., but are more
aerodynamic and take more weight on your back so often work better over
a long ride.

I was going to use it for everyday use, maybe a longer tour in the
weekends, but still only hours, not a full day.

JonB
Old December 20th 07, 01:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

How easy is it to change using the heel?

Fairly easy, and i've only had it out on test rides (I don't own one),
and it wasn't a problem with previous zero experience (the tendency to
look at what on'e doing would be less problematical on a 'bent, of course).

and do you ever change by accident?

No, never heard of this being an issue.

I would like a NuVinci, but i am not sure i can buy one without a bike.
So i was thinking that i could combine a regular internal hub with a
schlumpf drive to get a bigger gear range.

Ben Cooper/Kinetics has already put a NuVinci in an HPVel Spirit so
again I'd talk to him about it. http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/blog/?p=35

HTH, Pete.
Old December 20th 07, 02:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Peter Clinch wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

How easy is it to change using the heel?

Fairly easy, and i've only had it out on test rides (I don't own one),
and it wasn't a problem with previous zero experience (the tendency to
look at what on'e doing would be less problematical on a 'bent, of course).

and do you ever change by accident?

No, never heard of this being an issue.

I would like a NuVinci, but i am not sure i can buy one without a bike.
So i was thinking that i could combine a regular internal hub with a
schlumpf drive to get a bigger gear range.

Ben Cooper/Kinetics has already put a NuVinci in an HPVel Spirit so
again I'd talk to him about it. http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/blog/?p=35

yes i read that. But his was a free sample, so i still
dont know if i can buy just a nuvinci hub somewhere.

How important is it to clean the derailure system om a
Spirit? I think it is awfully close to the ground, but
those tubes might protect alot of the chain from dirt,
but also be a place where dirt collects and makes it
harder to pedal.

JonB
Old December 20th 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carol Hague

Peter Clinch wrote:

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

How easy is it to change using the heel?

Fairly easy, and i've only had it out on test rides (I don't own one),
and it wasn't a problem with previous zero experience (the tendency to
look at what on'e doing would be less problematical on a 'bent, of course).

When I first got my Schlumpf-equipped trike I found the change a little
difficult because my foot was slightly shorter than the cranks. Once Rob
(my husband) fitted a pair of shorter cranks for me, it was fine.

--
Carol (www.wrhpv.com)
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old December 20th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

How important is it to clean the derailure system om a
Spirit?

In real terms, not /that/ important. How many derailleur equipped bikes
in the world see cleaning once a blue moon, if that? It'll work more
optimally if you do clean it, and it will last longer, but it won;'t
become a waste of space if you leave it a while.

I think it is awfully close to the ground, but
those tubes might protect alot of the chain from dirt,
but also be a place where dirt collects and makes it
harder to pedal.

The tubes are teflon and don't clog up on my Streetmachine, and I've not
heard of tube clogging problems form other 'benters. They give very
little tangible resistance.

I've found that the chain on my Streetmachine keeps a great deal cleaner
than on my uprights. Even though they all have mudguards, the crank is
places such that muck coming up from the front wheel below the mudflap
will still hit the crank, while on a 'bent the crank is completely clear
of this (as is the head of the chain tube). With less crap on the
chain, that'll be less into the rest of the transmission too.

Pete.
Old December 20th 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
... tried the schlumpf mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive?

Several of our customers use speed-drives, and I've
ridden a LoGo trike with an s-d quite a few miles.
I like the shifting ergonomics for a three-way gearing
system, compared to a DualDrive, for example. The s-d
also provides a good way to get higher gearing with a
406mm drive wheel without using oversized chainwheels.
The downside: installation requires a chamfered BB; the
crank is expensive; there is noticeable drag in the
drivetrain; it adds weight and it's one more thing to
lubricate or possibly fail.

I wouldn't buy an s-d simply to avoid chain maintenance,
since it would probably ultimately be cheaper to pay
for the service instead, and chains still need to be
lubed even without derailleurs. Shifting is easy for my
big feet (47/US12), but other folks have opted for the
Schlumpf 'paddles'. Quality of the product and the man
behind the company (Florian) are both top-drawer, IMHO.

NuVinci hubs are available in the USA, probably through
bicycle dealers, but certainly through any small OEM.
Ergonomically, I think the shifting is GREAT. It also
solves the pervasive problem of getting high gearing
with a small drive wheel. It's also heavy, unproven to
some extent at least, and lacing into a small hub may
not be a readily available aftermarket service.

We will be doing an extensive 'shootout' comparison test
of various drivetrain options for small-wheeled tadpoles
early next year, with timed runs on a 10km course as
well as a standardized route with a wide mix of trail
conditions. We will make the results public, and you're
welcome to rattle my cage for interim info. If you live
in SoCal and want to take part in the testing, just let
me know by direct email or by phone.
Regards,
Wayne Leggett
3-2-GO: The Trike Store
Ventura CA USA
Old December 20th 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Peter Clinch wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

How important is it to clean the derailure system om a
Spirit?

In real terms, not /that/ important. How many derailleur equipped bikes
in the world see cleaning once a blue moon, if that? It'll work more
optimally if you do clean it, and it will last longer, but it won;'t
become a waste of space if you leave it a while.

okay, it seems like what i figured, that my bike mekanic just
likes clean stuff.

I think it is awfully close to the ground, but
those tubes might protect alot of the chain from dirt,
but also be a place where dirt collects and makes it
harder to pedal.

The tubes are teflon and don't clog up on my Streetmachine, and I've not
heard of tube clogging problems form other 'benters. They give very
little tangible resistance.

I've found that the chain on my Streetmachine keeps a great deal cleaner
than on my uprights. Even though they all have mudguards, the crank is
places such that muck coming up from the front wheel below the mudflap
will still hit the crank, while on a 'bent the crank is completely clear
of this (as is the head of the chain tube). With less crap on the
chain, that'll be less into the rest of the transmission too.

Okay, that makes sense too. Thanks for the info, seems like i can
safely get a Dual Drive then, and not worry about schlumpf drive
until i need a wider gear range.

JonB

Which Chain For 10 Speed Drive And 8 Speed Cassette [email protected] Techniques 9 February 3rd 07 07:16 AM
Schlumpf high-speed drives dlhii Recumbent Biking 7 October 2nd 06 11:59 PM
Will a Campagnolo 10 speed crank work on a 9 speed bike OK? Earl Bollinger Techniques 5 July 3rd 06 01:54 PM
Schlumpf Speed Drive Tosspot UK 5 May 11th 05 07:07 AM
High-speed shimmy, Speed wobble Shayne Wissler Techniques 103 November 1st 03 06:28 PM