If you don't believe in Evolution, then why do you drive an SUV?

Old January 7th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Default If you don't believe in Evolution, then why do you drive an SUV?

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

I think I read that during the Carboniferous period that
the earth was as hot as it has ever been.

ISTR that one of the reasons was due to large amounts of
water vapor in the air (volcanoes? geothermal activity?).
Can't remember what the source of it was. Maybe just
evaporation from oceans.

At any rate, the air can be very heavily saturated with
water without it raining, or without rain clearing up
the humidity. Check out many of the tropical locations
of the world where heavy rains don't lessen humidity.

http://www.wxdude.com/humidity.html

Air can only hold 100% relative humidity. For rain the 100% relative
humidity is at the altitude where the rain is coming from, not the ground
where the humidity gage is normally. It takes some time for the 100%
humidity "mist" to form into drops which fall as rain. There are cases
where there can be super cooled water being more than 100%, but that is
rare.

So for all practical purposes vapor is not going to do much to increase
global warming because it will precipitate out as rain when it reaches 100%
humidity at some place in the atmosphere. Since we get rain now, the air is
often saturated at some place with the maximum moisture it can hold.

Old January 8th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Red Cloud wrote:

That's honest opinion being American consumer automobile addicted
culture. Sure Americans are fighting for green stuff but that's just
window dressing. In deepest psyche of America, they are all desire
to drive SUV and Hummer. That is the American psyche. Driving
big car, driving like NASCAR are their passion and psyche. This is
why bicycle will never be the public transporatation in America.
Bike is too slow and too silence and unable to kill human being.

What, no "White Penis Power"?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 8th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ilaboo[_2_]

"David

do you really believe that ther is enough biomass to feed
1/2 ton 4 wheel drive pickups?
i susspect they get about 6 miles a gallon when they lie about their gas
milage

fwiw
peter

Old January 8th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ilaboo[_2_]

The more economical source is when they start running on bull ****.
Imagine all the crap cows leave behind, not to say what people say in
politics and organized religion.

politicians and lots of religious leaders only reflect the society as does
this usenet--so what do you expect?

fwiw
peter

Old January 8th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ilaboo[_2_]

I think the planet is doomed unless there is mass human
destruction!

Perhaps SUVs are actually doing Earth a favor?

steve
i hate to say this but i think you are right--sad for our children
i know of no answer and that includes getting human dna off this planet
life i know will go one and steve--that's what keeps me going in a dead
planet

peter

Old January 8th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ilaboo[_2_]

I think the main contribution of the SUV is toward the male ego of the
American psyche. Perhaps like being a gladiator in Roman times.
i agree
you can now see it in 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive pickups here in the bronx
also if you can believe it--stretch humvees

peter

Old January 8th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ilaboo[_2_]

They will shuttle the Religious Right out of this planet when they
finally succeed in destroying it.

its really not them
they jsut refect our society no more no less

peter

Old January 8th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Marc

ilaboo wrote:
The more economical source is when they start running on bull ****.
Imagine all the crap cows leave behind, not to say what people say in
politics and organized religion.

politicians and lots of religious leaders only reflect the society as does
this usenet--so what do you expect?

I expect correct netiquette and for a reply to contain some idea of what
is being replied to.
Old January 8th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Stephen Harding

donquijote1954 wrote:
On Jan 7, 5:09 pm, Stephen Harding wrote:

George Conklin wrote:

If you are concerned with your health, you won't be riding a bicycle. Too
many accidents per mile.

Like how many?

Cite please.

It's just a fear the system plants on you. It doesn't have to be real
though. Just enough so people give up bicycles and buy SUVs.

That's a fair point.

However I've come to believe people eschew bicycle commuting
not so much because it's seen as a death wish, but more that
such a view makes a convenient excuse.

Let's face it, hopping in the dino-juice buggy can be awfully
convenient!

SMH
Old January 9th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
news:ccce08e9-4fd1-4ae6-8228-Well, I can see you are Monkey see monkey do.

I had sea monkeys when I was a kid...