Cyclist at war!

Old October 16th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Cyclist at war!

On Oct 15, 7:00*pm, "Road Glidin' Don" wrote:
On Oct 15, 4:55*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

On Oct 15, 5:44*pm, "Vito" wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote

In that case, the solution is obvious.

You guys need to get engines.

Yup. *Major difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that one runs on
muscle and the other on brains.

I think the survival strategy of a cyclist requires more brain. You
worry about the cars hitting you from behind, while on a motorcycle
you just worry about not rear-ending some driver talking on the phone.

Prove of that is that many motorcyclists drink and drive. I did
anyway. It doesn't get any more stupid than that.

Yeah, and you're on a mission to prove *other* people are stupid...

Guess that proves Vito's point.- Hide quoted text -

I can afford to be stupid, but not be stupid toward others.

Only the latter is considered TERRORISM.
Old October 16th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 15, 7:02*pm, BrianNZ wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
I propose here that those killed in the line of duty riding a bicycle,
get condecorated with a Bicycle Medal of Honor, and get full pension
for their family.

Of course, the latter is more important.

Of course!! $$$ is more important than honor......and why is it a duty
to ride a push bike?

If you want your family to survive in this jungle when you are killed,
you better leave them $$$.

I don't want any more or any less than the military honors and
benefits given to those killed on the line of duty.

What are those benefits?
Old October 16th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
BrianNZ

KingOfTheApes wrote:
I propose here that those killed in the line of duty riding a bicycle,
get condecorated with a Bicycle Medal of Honor, and get full pension
for their family.
Of course, the latter is more important.

Of course!! $$$ is more important than honor......and why is it a duty
to ride a push bike?

If you want your family to survive in this jungle when you are killed,
you better leave them $$$.

I don't want any more or any less than the military honors and
benefits given to those killed on the line of duty.

What are those benefits?

Again, why is it your duty to ride a push bike? No-one has ordered you
to, so why do you expect honors if you die pursuing a chosen hobby?
Old October 16th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 15, 6:55*pm, BrianNZ wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
On Oct 15, 5:40 pm, "Vito" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote

Halfway down the hill, a LOUD horn almost caused me to wreck! ....
Of course you were going as fast as cars on the same road do, right?

Well, I only relay the story. The point is that never, ever a car
should be pick up on a cyclist or motorcyclist without the risk of
being tried for terrorism.

It happened to me where the guy wanted to play vigilante to enforce a
"walk your bike on sidewalk" on a bridge whose sidewalk is barely wide
enough to walk. It's only 2 1/2 ' wide while he enjoyed two lanes all
to himself. He blasted the horn to scare me away, and I gave him the
finger.

Bad move where the big fish felt the need to do justice. Better
strategy for me is NEVER to go where the terrorists feel the right to
kill, and stay away from the jungle.

No, get off the road and go ride in the jungle. You expect motorists to
obey the rules, yet pick and choose which ones you want to obey.

As long as a cyclist isn't impeding the flow of traffic, there is no
problem. The problem is when some lycra clad tour de france wannabe
abuses his 'right' to be on the road by not keeping out of the traffic
flow.....figuring his right is more important than the hundreds of
motorists who get the trickle down stop start ripple.

If I see a cyclists on the open road I will treat them as a car if there
is no oncoming traffic and move over the centreline. If there is
oncoming traffic and the group stay at the legal but inconsiderate two
abrest, I will move as wide as the oncoming vehicle allows me (Often the
oncoming cars will pull right over to make room, why can't cyclists in a
group show the same consideration?). If it hugs the centreline, so will
I and the cyclists get a wind blast.- Hide quoted text -

The commuters and other practical cyclists and the elite cyclists are
two different animal species.

I'm afraid is the latter that want to block any effort to make bike
lanes and other bike facilities. They ride fairly fast and almost go
as fast as slow traffic, so they feel safer. But once in a while are
wiped out too by reckless drivers too.

Of course, everyone is at risk, including motorcyclists. Different
medal for them, though.
Old October 16th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
BryanUT

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
Well guys, this story happened in Georgia, but I just omitted the rest
of the title (link below) because it could have happened where I live.
And indeed it has happened to me even more scary.

snip

As both a bicyclist and a motorcyclist, I am really shocked (not really) at
the hate directed at bike riders in the above posts.

We, as motorcyclists, have more in common with bicyclists than cagers. Like
it or not, we are on the same team.

Share the road.

Those of you complaining about riders two abreast, I hope you understand why
some of us don't tolerate Harley parades. Self righteous pricks I say. Both
of 'em.

Yeah, make fun of spandex, and I reserve the right to laugh at chaps and
leather vests. You are all a bunch of selfish people. Me, Me, Me!

Share the road with our 2 wheeled friends. Get off you ass and ride a bike
in traffic, I double dog dare you, are you man (or women) ennough?

All you loud pipes folks talk of freedom and rights, well, put up or shut
up. Let the pedalers be free. The roads belong to the people.

Share the road. Don't be a selfish ass.

Old October 16th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 15, 5:44*pm, "Vito" wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote

In that case, the solution is obvious.

You guys need to get engines.

Yup. *Major difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that one runs on
muscle and the other on brains.

I think the survival strategy of a cyclist requires more brain. You
worry about the cars hitting you from behind, while on a motorcycle
you just worry about not rear-ending some driver talking on the phone.

Prove of that is that many motorcyclists drink and drive. I did
anyway. It doesn't get any more stupid than that.

Yeah, and you're on a mission to prove *other* people are stupid...

Guess that proves Vito's point.- Hide quoted text -

I quit drinking after I stopped motorcycling. Just coincidence, of
course.
Old October 16th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:44:33 -0400
"Vito" wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote

In that case, the solution is obvious.

You guys need to get engines.

Yup. Major difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that one
runs on muscle and the other on brains.

ITYM one runs on legs and the other on the right wrist - both require a
modicum of grey matter if one is to survive long.

Old October 16th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Road Glidin' Don

On Oct 15, 5:44*pm, "Vito" wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote

In that case, the solution is obvious.

You guys need to get engines.

Yup. *Major difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that one runs on
muscle and the other on brains.

I think the survival strategy of a cyclist requires more brain. You
worry about the cars hitting you from behind, while on a motorcycle
you just worry about not rear-ending some driver talking on the phone.

Prove of that is that many motorcyclists drink and drive. I did
anyway. It doesn't get any more stupid than that.

Yeah, and you're on a mission to prove *other* people are stupid...

Guess that proves Vito's point.

I quit drinking after I stopped motorcycling.

Stupid is something you won't be able to change.

Old October 16th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Road Glidin' Don

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:18:33 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

I can afford to be stupid, but not be stupid toward others.

With you, "afford" has nothing to do with it.

Old October 16th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Outback Jon

BryanUT wrote:
Yeah, make fun of spandex, and I reserve the right to laugh at chaps and
leather vests. You are all a bunch of selfish people. Me, Me, Me!

But would you laugh at a motorcyclist if they were wearing spandex?

--
"Outback" Jon - KC2BNE

AMD Opteron 165 ) and 6.1 GHz of other AMD power...
http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 53560

2006 ZG1000A Concours "Blueline" COG# 7385 CDA# 0157