Pollution and cycling...

Old January 10th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Pollution and cycling...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4598388.stm

Cycling's pretty good there!

Old January 10th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"LSMike" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4598388.stm

Cycling's pretty good there!

Cycling should be banned, all that sweat and farting, causes far to much
polution!

Alan

Old January 10th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I've always wondered how cycling compares with other transport in terms
of CO2 (and other gases!) emissions.

Cyclists have pretty big lungs and emptying them of CO2 at a fair rate
must make some contribution to global warming!

pete

Old January 10th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

LSMike wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4598388.stm

Cycling's pretty good there!

You think? Pollution exposure at 80% of the level of the worst? I'd
say that is pretty bad.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 10th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:
LSMike wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4598388.stm

Cycling's pretty good there!

You think? Pollution exposure at 80% of the level of the worst? I'd
say that is pretty bad.

assuming that this study was taken in London it still makes cycling
least dangerous for my commute; 10 mins on a bike compared to 40
walking or 20 on a bus.

Old January 10th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:
LSMike wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4598388.stm

Cycling's pretty good there!

You think? Pollution exposure at 80% of the level of the worst? I'd
say that is pretty bad.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Oh, that's changed. When I saw it, there was cycling at 8,000 and
walking at 5,000 in the little yellow box.

Old January 10th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

naked_draughtsman wrote:
I've always wondered how cycling compares with other transport in terms
of CO2 (and other gases!) emissions.

Cyclists have pretty big lungs and emptying them of CO2 at a fair rate
must make some contribution to global warming!

Wrong, well to an extent. We eat food which takes CO2 out of the
atmosphere, just part of the carbon cycle. The transport and production
costs of said food may make an extra cyclist contribution though.
Old January 10th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ian B. wrote:

We eat food which takes CO2 out of the
atmosphere, just part of the carbon cycle.

Its the part that we convert to methane though that's the real problem
(in many ways) ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 10th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Probably considerably less than transporting the cyclist by another
mode instead.

Old January 10th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Ian B. wrote:

We eat food which takes CO2 out of the atmosphere, just part of the
carbon cycle.

Its the part that we convert to methane though that's the real problem (in
many ways) ;-)

Poooh!

Alan

--