carbon fiber

Old September 11th 03, 12:00 AM
W.S. O'Neal

Default carbon fiber

I am wondering, If you own a 2002 trek fuel 100 how are the carbon fiber
rear stays bolted to the aluminum frame holding up? Also are there any
specific design flaws in the fuels. I am thinking of buying the fuel 98 but
do not know if there are any negatives to the bike . And all the sales men
give me this is the best bike speech regardless as to what bike I may be
looking at on any given day. How about the epic? Or the kikapu delux? Anyone
out there know of anything I should be alert to before buying one of these
bikes.Thanks for any insight that you offer.
Diane O'Neal

Old September 11th 03, 03:30 PM
DT

Diane,

If your willing to spend the money on something like a Trek Fuel, I
would also consider getting something with WSD (Women Specific Design)
like the Santa Cruz Juliana, but there are also a few good others out
there. Trek's WSD bikes seem to mostly change out the good components
and different colors, where as the others seem to actually focus and
change the design. How useful the WSD is for you depends on how tall
you are and your weight, but a lot of the women I ride with say the
design really helps.

DT

Old September 12th 03, 03:00 PM
Jake Greene

"W.S. O'Neal" wrote in message ...

I am wondering, If you own a 2002 trek fuel 100 how are the carbon fiber
rear stays bolted to the aluminum frame holding up? Also are there any
specific design flaws in the fuels. I am thinking of buying the fuel 98 but
do not know if there are any negatives to the bike . And all the sales men
give me this is the best bike speech regardless as to what bike I may be
looking at on any given day. How about the epic? Or the kikapu delux? Anyone
out there know of anything I should be alert to before buying one of these
bikes.Thanks for any insight that you offer.
Diane O'Neal

A Women's Specific Design is certainly something to consider. Most
people I've talked to, however, think that the Santa Cruz Juliana is a
little bit dated. It's based on the Superlight, which is a totally
competent bike, but no longer the centerpiece of Santa Cruz' design
stable, and it seems that Diane is looking for a truly top-of-the line ride.

I can't say anything about the Fuels, never having ridden one, but I
ride an S-Works Epic and so can offer an opinion on it. I've been
totally happy with mine; it does everything they said it would. It's
locked out on the smooth and soft on the bumps. And I don't have to
think about the suspension, I just have to ride it. The 2004 Women's
Specific Epic adds those things I wish mine had: adjustability to the
"brain" and weight savings. And Specialized has revamped the 2004
Stumpjumper FSR with a completely new design, including a new women's
specific model. The Stumpys will have 100mm travel forks and 100mm of
rear suspension travel, so if you want something more plush than an Epic
this would be your ride of choice.

I'm sure Trek and Fisher will have equally impressive changes to their
lines coming in 2004. My advice would be to wait a few months. The
best thing to happen would be that you have too many good bikes to
choose from, and the worst would be that the 2003s that you're looking
at now will be on sale.

Good luck,
Jake

Old September 15th 03, 11:35 PM
W.S. O'Neal

Jake that's some good advice. I'll try not to rush into buying but God knows
I've been saving this money for a long time and I am starting to get
antsy.*L* especially since the Kernville fat tire festival is coming up and
I sure would like to take a new reliable bike .*L*