A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Eastern suburbs ofSydney

Old December 4th 10, 05:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Eastern suburbs ofSydney

I have not posted for a while for a few personal reasons but I thought
this was a bit funny. OK, maybe not so funny to some but it was funny to
me

I was riding along the Airport Drive last week near the QANTAS Jet Base(?).

There I was, minding my own business, concentrating on the road ahead,
being mindful of traffic behind me, etc etc , in the middle of my own
lane when who pulls up beside me in the right lane? An Australian
Federal Police vehicle with two uniformed officers inside. The car
slowed down beside me, lines up beside me and the passenger starts
waving his finger and pointing towards the side of the road. Not a word
was spoken as the passenger window was up - I think they had the
airconditioning on.

I was a bit surprised as I didn't think I was doing anything wrong and
my bike is roadworthy, etc etc. I looked towards the side of the road
and, yes, there was a section there which I could pull over safely as it
appeared to be what the copper wanted.

At the same time, I vaguely recalled that the Australian Federal Police
has no jurisdiction outside of Federal territory and I didn't think I
was on Federal ground.

But, not being a legal expert, I thought the safe thing would be to pull
over "as directed" by an "erfficer of the ler".

As I slowed my bike down, I realised that the police car was not exactly
slowing down, and if anything it was slowly accelarating AWAY!

By now, the police car way ahead of me and I was, obviously, NOT going
to be spoken to by anybody.

I was confused - wtf is going on here?

Then it struck me.

The guy was probably pointing towards the shared bike/pedestrian
sidewalk which runs part way along that section of Airport Drive near
Boeing Road(?) and expecting me to use it.

Well, needless to say, I politely declined the officer's invitation and
immediately pulled back into the flow of traffic to continue riding in
what I felt were much safer conditions than the vagaries of a sidewalk.

Also, I do have a sequel to a previous post I made about (ahem) people
wearing lycra and the difficulty in identifying their gender but I guess
I'll leave it for another time.