Cyclist's bike nicked during trp

Old August 21st 04, 11:24 AM
Vivian

Default Cyclist's bike nicked during trp

New bike found for robbed cyclist

A cyclist whose custom-built bike was stolen by a Mongolian horseman while
en route to China is to receive a new one.
Bicycle manufacturer Marin and London bike shop Condor are to provide a
replacement bike to Edward Genochio so he can complete his epic journey.

Mr Genochio, 27, from Exeter, has cycled about 16,000 km (10,000 miles)
since leaving his home five months ago.

But he has been stranded in the Mongolian capital Ulan Bator since the theft
on Saturday night.

The freelance website designer was asleep at the time of the theft, with his
bike locked to his tent.

Unfortunately the bike has been quite badly beaten up in the process of
being dragged behind the horse
Edward Genochio

The thief tied a rope to his bicycle and rode off with it, destroying the
tent at the same time.
Mr Genochio said it was "tremendous news" the custom-made bike was going to
be replaced.

He said the stolen bike had been recovered by police, but it was ruined.

"I had a call from the police and they said they had found the bike and I
went to identify it.

"Unfortunately it has been quite badly beaten up in the process of being
dragged behind the horse."

Greg Needham, manager of Condor, said: "I was lying in bed listening to the
radio and heard the story about a man who'd had his bike stolen in Mongolia,
and I was wondering how we could help him.

"We then spoke to Edward and arranged it all."

Mr Needham said that although he would like to cycle the bike out to
Mongolia himself, they would arrange with a courier to get the bike out to
Mr Genochio.

Mr Genochio had been waiting in Ulan Bator for a Chinese visa so that he
could finish his 12,000-mile journey to Shanghai through the Gobi Desert.

Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
Bike Fits - Elite Cyclists Only? McBain_v1 UK 5 March 3rd 04 01:35 PM
Bike facility funding, was: Cincy - $350M to fix I-75 The Danimal Social Issues 11 December 27th 03 01:55 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM