Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears?

Old April 12th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears?

Hi there.

My sister who lives 400+ plus kilometres from me wants me to overhaul
and upgrade her old NORCO Fiori bicycle. It is a 10 gear setup. She
wants to go to 21 gears because ofthe hills she is encountering and
also to reduce the jumps between gears.

I have everything I need to convert this bicycle to 21 gears for her.
I can't remember if the distance between the rear dropouts is the same
for a 7 gear Shimano 600 hub and a regular 5 gear hub. Is it the same
distance for both a 5 gear and a 7 gear hub?

Thanks and cheers from Peter
Old April 12th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

My sister who lives 400+ plus kilometres from me wants me to overhaul
and upgrade her old NORCO Fiori bicycle. It is a 10 gear setup. She
wants to go to 21 gears because ofthe hills she is encountering and
also to reduce the jumps between gears.

I have everything I need to convert this bicycle to 21 gears for her.
I can't remember if the distance between the rear dropouts is the same
for a 7 gear Shimano 600 hub and a regular 5 gear hub. Is it the same
distance for both a 5 gear and a 7 gear hub?

5-speed spacing is 120mm, but 5-speed freewheels have frequently been
used on cheap department store type bikes with wider spacing.

The original 7-speed systems were made for hubs with 126mm spacing,
but 7-speed has also been standard with 130mm and 135mm spacing. To
my knowledge, everything with 7 speeds and branded Shimano 600 rather
than Shimano Ultegra is spaced to 126mm.

Chalo
Old April 12th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 12, 5:27*pm, AMuzi wrote:
wrote:
My sister who lives 400+ plus kilometres from me wants me to overhaul
and upgrade her old NORCO Fiori bicycle. It is a 10 gear setup. She
wants to go to 21 gears because ofthe hills she is encountering and
also to reduce the jumps between gears.

I have everything I need to convert this bicycle to 21 gears for her.
I can't remember if the distance between the rear dropouts is the same
for a 7 gear Shimano 600 hub and a regular 5 gear hub. Is it the same
distance for both a 5 gear and a 7 gear hub?

Fives were traditionally 120mm.

Late series five bikes were built to 126mm for use with 5 or
6 speed wheels.
Early sevens were proprietary, often 128mm but quickly
settled on 130mm. Make it 130 and you'll be fine with modern
equipment.

If you use a Shimano MTB format CS ub (basic models are
still quite affordable) at 135mm, simply remove the 5mm left
side spacer before building the wheel. If your hub has the
modern 8-9-10 cassette body, use the 4.4mm spacer behind
your seven cassette.
A seven freewheel hub wants 38mm of gear space.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks Andy.

The Shimano 600 7 gear hub I have is already built into a wheel. It is
the old style that needed the special tool (not just an Allen Key) to
remove. IIRC it is an N600 hub. It is not the older 600EX hub. It has
a cassette body that can take 8 cogs and spacers of a 9 gear cassette.
I will be using 7 cogs from an 8 gear cassette cluster so I can use
the 7 gear shifters I have in the parts bin. This hub has a large
Bunion(?) on the cassette side that tapers to the standard hub
diameter at the centre and left side of the hub.

I guess it will fit with perhaps a very slight spreading of the
dropouts.

Cheers from Peter