Taya Chain

Old August 28th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Taya Chain

I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I had in my
garage that I must have purchased five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for 6,7,8
gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the first time I've
used a chain with a connecting link since childhood. I looked up Taya
and it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I bought it when RiteAid had just taken over Payless and was in the
process of destroying the Payless stores and was closing out all their
bicycle stuff and all their sporting goods. They once had an impressive
selection of bicycle stuff, fishing stuff, and camping stuff. Before
Long's was destroyed by CVS, Long's even sold some Park Tools.

---

Old August 28th 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I had in my
garage that I must have purchased five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for 6,7,8
gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the first time I've
used a chain with a connecting link since childhood. I looked up Taya
and it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road bike which I bought
from a friend as NOS, for $6 which was the old sticker price (the
sticker had already turned brownish). No link, mounted with hammer and
anvil as usual. To my utter amazement it doesn't show any measurable
stretch after over 2000mi and sometimes I really put the coals on
because of our hills. Even the old Wippermann chains could not rival
that. I am very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

I bought it when RiteAid had just taken over Payless and was in the
process of destroying the Payless stores and was closing out all their
bicycle stuff and all their sporting goods. They once had an impressive
selection of bicycle stuff, fishing stuff, and camping stuff. Before
Long's was destroyed by CVS, Long's even sold some Park Tools.

Yeah, the good old days. Our Long's is also long gone :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 28th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I had in my
garage that I must have purchased five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for 6,7,8
gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the first time I've
used a chain with a connecting link since childhood. I looked up Taya
and it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road bike which I bought
from a friend as NOS, for $6 which was the old sticker price (the
sticker had already turned brownish). No link, mounted with hammer and
anvil as usual. To my utter amazement it doesn't show any measurable
stretch after over 2000mi and sometimes I really put the coals on
because of our hills. Even the old Wippermann chains could not rival
that. I am very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out three days after the bike was junked.
Old August 28th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening
process was not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to
today except for possibly Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 29th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/28/2017 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening process was
not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to today except for possibly
Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

$100 for a Campy Record chain. Ouch.

---

Old August 29th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/28/2017 7:48 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/28/2017 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening
process was not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to
today except for possibly Record chains. That ended with
SRAM.

$100 for a Campy Record chain. Ouch.

Less here [1]. They do last a long time, significantly
longer than any other 11 chain.

[1] I doubt anyone actually gets $100

Old August 29th 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

You can still find some NOS (new old stock) of the Sedisport 6/7 chains.
About $25.

---

Old August 29th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

I saw a lot of them on EBay at that price range stating "pre-owned" in
the ad, meaning used and who knows for how many miles or whether
properly maintained.

The topper I ever saw was "pre-owned" underwear. Yikes.

Old August 29th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... whatta -you- been readin ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...w=1199&bih=671
Old August 29th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Nah, not this kind of stuff. It was some auction site. No kidding. I
couldn't believe it.