A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Recumbent Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Quality feedback on these bikes



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 14th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.
Ads
  #2  
Old May 14th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,118
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

duh wrote:
:: I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta
:: Giro 20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.
::
:: What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
:: mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.

Personally, from all that I've read about these bikes, I doubt you could go
wrong with any one of them. Of course, the higher priced models tend to have
better components, I think, and I'd worry more about q/d factors on the
lower priced models. I wonder if a 20 in front might be better for
commuting.

It would seem that a $1000 'bent is like a $600 DF, roughly.

Have you been over to bentrideronline.com w/ this question?


  #3  
Old May 14th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

Roger Zoul wrote:
duh wrote:
:: I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta
:: Giro 20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.
::
:: What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
:: mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.

Personally, from all that I've read about these bikes, I doubt you could go
wrong with any one of them. Of course, the higher priced models tend to have
better components, I think, and I'd worry more about q/d factors on the
lower priced models. I wonder if a 20 in front might be better for
commuting.


I was wanting the 20 front, but the guy local only has a Giro 26 in
stock. Can't remember what the Cafe has out front.

I'm not really wanting to have my feet above my head while trying to
navigate traffic. This would be my first bent anyway.


It would seem that a $1000 'bent is like a $600 DF, roughly.

Have you been over to bentrideronline.com w/ this question?



I've been looking over there, but haven't found the right slot yet to
post in.
  #4  
Old May 14th 07, 07:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,118
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

duh wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: duh wrote:
::::: I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta
::::: Giro 20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.
:::::
::::: What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will
::::: be mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.
:::
::: Personally, from all that I've read about these bikes, I doubt you
::: could go wrong with any one of them. Of course, the higher priced
::: models tend to have better components, I think, and I'd worry more
::: about q/d factors on the lower priced models. I wonder if a 20 in
::: front might be better for commuting.
::
:: I was wanting the 20 front, but the guy local only has a Giro 26 in
:: stock. Can't remember what the Cafe has out front.
::
:: I'm not really wanting to have my feet above my head while trying to
:: navigate traffic. This would be my first bent anyway.
::

I have a dual 26 LWB (Rans Stratus) but the BB is lower so the effect isn't
so great. However, a SWB is thought by many to better for commuting, though
a 20/26 w/ low BB LWB is also thought to be good for that, too. Having your
feet closer to the ground is helpful in stop/go traffic, and being able to
move in/out/through tight spots easily is very important, I think.


:::
::: It would seem that a $1000 'bent is like a $600 DF, roughly.
:::
::: Have you been over to bentrideronline.com w/ this question?
:::
:::
::
:: I've been looking over there, but haven't found the right slot yet to
:: post in.

I'd suggest in the New To Recumbents forum under General Discussions forum.
Don't be shy, though, people are glad to help there.


  #5  
Old May 14th 07, 08:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

Roger Zoul wrote:


I'd suggest in the New To Recumbents forum under General Discussions forum.
Don't be shy, though, people are glad to help there.



h'okay. Thanks Rog. (I can call you Rog, now that we've been
introduced, right?) ;-)
  #6  
Old May 14th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default Quality feedback on these bikes


"duh" wrote in message
...
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro 20
or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be mostly
commuting, but might want to do a little touring.


They're all probably the same quality at whatever gruppo level exists at
their relative price-points. They will all fit and ride a bit differently,
and you'll need to look at how commuting amenities attach to the bikes.
Especially a low bike like a Rocket.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #7  
Old May 14th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,960
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Mon, 14 May 2007 08:55:54 -0700
duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.


I've got a Giro 20, commute 20km each way on it, mostly in traffic.

Works for me. Reliable, comfortable, easy to live with.

Bar end shifters I find more comfortable and easier in the wet than
gripshifters, that's about the only complaint I have. So I made thre
change.

A 20" front is probably easier to get the feet down at stops than a
26". As I've only ridden 20/26 I can't say from personal experience.

SWB vs LWB seems to be a personal preference thing.

Zebee
  #8  
Old May 15th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,130
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

On May 14, 10:55 am, duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.


The RANS Rocket was a very good all-around bike when introduced a
decade ago, and has been improved and refined since.

The only necessary change for touring would be smaller chainrings
unless the route is very flat or the rider very strong. The under-seat
pannier rack is mandatory, unless the rider is "credit card touring"
with very light loads.

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  #9  
Old May 15th 07, 06:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
On May 14, 10:55 am, duh wrote:

I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.



The RANS Rocket was a very good all-around bike when introduced a
decade ago, and has been improved and refined since.

The only necessary change for touring would be smaller chainrings
unless the route is very flat or the rider very strong. The under-seat
pannier rack is mandatory, unless the rider is "credit card touring"
with very light loads.


I like that, credit card touring. Of course, I've been honing my
routine for backpacking, so I think I can carry less weight.

I was talking to the shop today, and they said the RANS might set me up
for a rougher ride, and more rolling resistance, but more wheel strength
and the ability to carry more weight.

Maybe I need to mount some hydraulics in my butt.
  #10  
Old May 15th 07, 12:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,130
Default Quality feedback on these bikes

On May 15, 12:13 am, duh wrote:
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:



On May 14, 10:55 am, duh wrote:


I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.


What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.


The RANS Rocket was a very good all-around bike when introduced a
decade ago, and has been improved and refined since.


The only necessary change for touring would be smaller chainrings
unless the route is very flat or the rider very strong. The under-seat
pannier rack is mandatory, unless the rider is "credit card touring"
with very light loads.


I like that, credit card touring. Of course, I've been honing my
routine for backpacking, so I think I can carry less weight.

I was talking to the shop today, and they said the RANS might set me up
for a rougher ride, and more rolling resistance, but more wheel strength
and the ability to carry more weight.

Maybe I need to mount some hydraulics in my butt.


Having only one size of tire and tube is an advantage while trying to
limit weight during touring.

If one ever plans to pull a single wheel trailer (e.g. B.o.B.), the
RANS Rocket is one of the best bicycles, due to its triangulated frame
and short chain and seat stays. Pulling a single wheel trailer with a
monotube ("stick") bike is generally a bad idea (and the manufacturers
typically recommend against it).

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful
2000 RANS Rocket

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quality question on road bikes [email protected] Racing 7 May 6th 06 05:09 PM
ATB feedback Euan Australia 2 October 30th 05 11:10 PM
LBS feedback AC Australia 25 March 22nd 05 11:52 PM
LBS feedback AC Australia 0 March 20th 05 10:47 PM
feedback please blujay.com Marketplace 6 January 4th 05 06:15 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.