Al frame safe after crash?

Old June 12th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian[_7_]

Default Al frame safe after crash?

My wife tried to pull the car into the garage with my Fuji still on
the roof rack. The rear wheel hit first, and folded up, but the rear
stays look OK. The front forks, which were clipped into the rack got
completely bent and cracked.

My question is, if the frame seems OK, should I just replace the fork
and rear wheel, or are AL frames much more susceptible to failure once
sustaining this kind of shock damage. FWIW, the bike is 3 years old,
cost $600, and has about 5,000 miles on it.

Old June 13th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 12, 5:21*pm, Brian wrote:
My wife tried to pull the car into the garage with my Fuji still on
the roof rack. The rear wheel hit first, and folded up, but the rear
stays look OK. The front forks, which were clipped into the rack got
completely bent and cracked.

My question is, if the frame seems OK, should I just replace the fork
and rear wheel, or are AL frames much more susceptible to failure once
sustaining this kind of shock damage. FWIW, the bike is 3 years old,
cost $600, and has about 5,000 miles on it.

How much you like the bike? Chances are that the frame's fine. I'd
check it under strong light for cracks. If you can find a fork and
rear wheel for a couple hundred to fix the bike--and it's not a bike
you've got a grudge against, fix it. But keeping in mind that it's an
alu frame and it's gotten a good whack--the components have 5K on
them, it's gonna need a couple hundred bucks worth of kit to fix--are
you really happy with the color? ;-)
Old June 13th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian[_7_]

On Jun 12, 5:30 pm, landotter wrote:
On Jun 12, 5:21 pm, Brian wrote:

[...]

Good points, and a new bike is appealing. Certainly the wife can't
complain either since she was responsible for the damage :-)
Old June 13th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Brian" wrote in message

Good points, and a new bike is appealing. Certainly the wife can't
complain either since she was responsible for the damage :-)

You'll still get the complaining. It will just manifest itself in another
form. :-(

Old June 13th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

| "Brian" wrote in message
|
| Good points, and a new bike is appealing. Certainly the wife can't
| complain either since she was responsible for the damage :-)
|
| You'll still get the complaining. It will just manifest itself in another
| form. :-(

Most likely as in- "Why can't we re-do the kitchen? You went out and got
yourself a new bike..."

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 17th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alan Hoyle

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:21:51, Brian wrote:
My wife tried to pull the car into the garage with my Fuji still on
the roof rack. The rear wheel hit first, and folded up, but the rear
stays look OK. The front forks, which were clipped into the rack got
completely bent and cracked.

My question is, if the frame seems OK, should I just replace the fork
and rear wheel, or are AL frames much more susceptible to failure once
sustaining this kind of shock damage. FWIW, the bike is 3 years old,
cost $600, and has about 5,000 miles on it.

I don't know about the frame/damage/etc, but I heard a helpful hint:

When you mount your bike on the roof rack, put the garage door opener
in the seat bag.

If you forget about the bike on the roof, you'll remember when you
can't open the garage. Most people tend to stop before driving
through a closed garage door.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old June 17th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Brian wrote:
My wife tried to pull the car into the garage with my Fuji still on
the roof rack. The rear wheel hit first, and folded up, but the rear
stays look OK. The front forks, which were clipped into the rack got
completely bent and cracked.

How did the rear wheel hit first? Was she backing in?

My question is, if the frame seems OK, should I just replace the fork
and rear wheel, or are AL frames much more susceptible to failure once
sustaining this kind of shock damage. FWIW, the bike is 3 years old,
cost $600, and has about 5,000 miles on it.

If the forks were bent and cracked, I'd guess other tubes were
damaged. Does the headset turn without binding? Any kinks in the
downtube or top tube?

You might want to have a good shop look it over carefully. But since
it's not an expensive bike to begin with, and as a minimum you'd need
a new wheel and forks, I think you'd be better getting a new bike.

Art Harris

Old June 17th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 12, 3:21*pm, Brian wrote:
My wife tried to pull the car into the garage with my Fuji still on
the roof rack. The rear wheel hit first, and folded up, but the rear
stays look OK. The front forks, which were clipped into the rack got
completely bent and cracked.

My question is, if the frame seems OK, should I just replace the fork
and rear wheel, or are AL frames much more susceptible to failure once
sustaining this kind of shock damage. FWIW, the bike is 3 years old,
cost $600, and has about 5,000 miles on it.

I would carefully check the down tube/ head tube junction to see if
ithere is any damage -- sometimes you get a crimp in the down tube
with a wall impact. If not, you are probably O.K. I have been riding
welded aluminum frames since the mid-80s and broken a fair share of
them -- the failures occurred with notice, meaning that there was a
fatigue crack or obvious damage to the frame. They are not prone to
"hidden damage" any more than steel frames, IMO. I would toss the
forks even if they looked undamaged because CF is prone to hidden
damage, and the failures are catestrophic. I had an old Cannondale
frame with a crack around 40% of the down tube, and I rode it home--
although that was a way-overbuilt 80's frame. I wouldn't try that on
the current crop of Al frames.-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 17th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Alan Hoyle wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Words of wisdom.

--
Michael Press

SAFE riding tip#1 verb[_2_] Australia 0 January 25th 08 03:32 AM
Safe Enough ??? Bad ASS MF Australia 1 January 1st 08 05:49 AM
frame damage: is this bike safe to ride? [email protected] Techniques 8 November 28th 06 09:26 AM
We have no hope of ever being safe... Brian Watson Australia 31 November 1st 05 06:44 PM
Not safe anywhere Tony Raven UK 51 May 4th 05 05:29 PM