Bike stolen

Old July 7th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

Default Bike stolen

I recently bought a car.

And then someone stole my bike in front of my apartment.

I bought the bike for $40 from a Good Will store.

No big loss for the bike per se.

But I had customized the bike with a 6 Volt SLA battery, 3 headlights, and a bright brake light.

I hope the person really needed a bike. :-)

Andy
Old July 7th 15, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the 'too much' law

keep a low profile

hide the car

Old July 7th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:43:53 PM UTC-7, Andy K wrote:
I recently bought a car.

And then someone stole my bike in front of my apartment.

I bought the bike for $40 from a Good Will store.

No big loss for the bike per se.

But I had customized the bike with a 6 Volt SLA battery, 3 headlights, and a bright brake light.

I hope the person really needed a bike. :-)

Andy

Do not despair -- my best riding buddy had his old Trek stolen (an old classic steel frame with a nice respray and good components), and he got it back. He had it locked with a cable -- a Blackburn Angola, which as he learned, can be nipped through rather easily with small tools. It was stolen from in front of his work a month or so ago. Anyway, he was driving to work a few weeks ago and saw a bike locked to a rack that was the same size and shape. It was his, although someone had taken off the fenders and used a Sharpie to give the lugs a contrast color and had tried to make it look like a Surly.

My friend called the cops. Three cars came, but none had the equipment necessary to remove the U-lock. So they called the fire department. A ladder truck came out, and they got the lock off using the Jaws of Life. Amazing.. Your tax dollars at work. My friend had filed a report and had all the necessary documentation -- so no one really questioned his claim of ownership. The bike came back a little beaten up, but at least it came back.

Another tale of stupidity from the criminal element. Usually they just post it on Craigslist and get nabbed.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 7th 15, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 3:32:32 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

F.Lee...? how did your friend prove the bike was his...to that effect ?
Old July 9th 15, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 2:32:32 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Jaws of Life. You are joking right ?

J.O.L. is too large to fit between a lock and the bike. :-)

Andy
Old July 9th 15, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 9:37:55 PM UTC-7, Andy K wrote:
[...]

That was the story, but I think he meant another Hurst tool, like a cutter of some sort. And for Gene, there was a paper trail on file at PPD. The officers were convinced, so I guess that's good enough. This is not a tall tale. I ride with this guy all the time, and he's been a close friend for 25 years. I re-spaced that Trek to 130mm ten years ago and have a personal investment in it.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 9th 15, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Friend carried id n id was visible on frame ?
Procedure question
Old July 9th 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

Hurst make a whole bunch of different jaws of life tools, including
shearing cutters that would have no problem with even a heavy ulock.

--
sig 72

Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, gold medal won caffetrieste Racing 20 October 14th 08 09:39 AM
Stolen Bike (Again) Saxman UK 12 June 6th 06 12:30 AM
nearly stolen bike Paul - xxx UK 4 November 21st 05 07:31 PM
nearly stolen bike nobody760 UK 6 November 17th 05 08:05 AM
bike stolen Jon_H UK 0 September 7th 05 05:46 PM