Anyone cycle High Sierras in California

Old July 15th 15, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Anyone cycle High Sierras in California

Insofar as the necessary fitness level is concerned, I echo Mike Jacoubowsky's sentiments: you need to be able to ride maybe 6 mph or so. Below that, the flies and mosquitoes become too interested in you.
Old July 15th 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

wrote:
Thanks Jay that was helpful. I am in great endurance shape for 54
although my running speed has really slowed I am still pretty quick on
the bike. Today it was 75 degrees this morning dew point 74 and about 95%
humidity. I ran 7 miles at about 9:30 pace seems pretty slow to me but
glad I am able to still run ok. I am one of those crazies who actually
tend to get faster the longer I am out. I really should have road the
bike in the heat this morning but running gets more in with less time. If
I was retired I would probably ride 3 days for sure. The great thing
about the bike is I can still ride fast and not any real decrease with
age. Years ago when I was not riding much at all I could hammer running
10-12 miles at 7:30 to 8 mile pace racing in under 7, those days are long
gone. The bike has allow a new prospective the last 7 years.

The climbing does have me a bit bugged because I am 6-2 and 175 so not
ideal but not a clyde either. I just got back from some bigger grades in
northern Michigan and one ski lodge was about 6% for a mile with the last
400 yards at %10. I was working pretty hard and while I recovered fine
and road long past that for the ride, had that grade had been another
200 yards I was really wondering about putting the foot down. I just
never have dealt with a continual climb of say 3-4% that goes for maybe a
few miles. If you get a little rest with the grade then you can keep it
up but just one steady grade at 7-10% seems like a task to fear. I think
if the roads get even flatter for a period I am ok no fear. Right now
around here I can my 11-23 crank on a compact and deal with anything but
climb is a different animal.

Mark

"jbeattie" wrote in message ...

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 3:33:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have been goggling cycling in California and doing those big climbs like
Sonora Pass and Tiago and it fascinates me the flatlander. I am generally a
strong cyclist but wondered if these can be done just on a whim. I have done
some climbs visiting and I do struggle with but never have had to walk up
anything yet. Around these parts I run an 11-23 or 11-25 compact and the
biggest climbs I have dealt with are maybe 1 mile at 6-7% grade. Doable but
not just simply easy. I thinking of doing a vacation and trying ride some of
these climbs and wonder if mortals can do them just on ordinary training. I
ride about 100 miles a week but also run long distance since I am runner
first of all. if I am not running I ride 200-260 mpw. I thinking with a
12-32 ( 50-34 Big) I could do the Sonora Pass and make it without too much
struggle, but I am lost. If I do a 70 mile ride like yesterday I managed
only 1700 ft of climbing on my Garmin 910. That is nothing compared to what
I see on Strava for some rides. Now I certainly average a good pace in
comparison 18-19.5 mph but again seems nothing in comparison.

I am just wonder if you can show up with a bike and ride or maybe need to
plan a bit. I am one of those that simply gets on the bike and in flatlands
easily ride 50-60 miles on no food or stops. I routinely ride those distance
and never put a foot down. I thinking I would just campout at a place get up
and start riding. Take 2 big bottles and food in the jersey, but with grades
going up what I hear I just am clueless

Deacon mark cleary

Yes, Mark, you can do them -- if you watch your power-output and can
acclimate to the elevation and heat. If you can do 70 miles on the flats
at 19 mph, then you're fit. If you do 200-250 miles a week, you're fit.
You just have to gauge your output and make sure to don't over-spend at
the foot of the climb. Drink lots of water. If you're not racing anyone, you'll be fine.

When I was 35 or 36, I did a six pass version of the Death Ride
(Monitor/Monitor, Ebbetts/Ebbetts, Luther and Carson Passes) -- 19,000+
of climbing and 150 miles with a low of 39/26. Climbing was hard, but the
heat is what really got me -- and the altitude, although I had a few days
training in advance, so that helped. I did the standard five pass version
of the Death Ride when I was 32 or 33 and really flew through that one. I
was very proud. The second one was slower because of the additional
climbing and because I spent three days before the ride chasing a racing
buddy through the Sierra -- including up Tioga Pass. Sort of stupid
putting in a lot of hill miles before a mega hill climb, but it did help
me acclimate to the altitude.

In my current decrepitude, I'd use a compact 34/28 -- and stop a lot
more. A whole lot more -- take pictures, make phone calls, do my taxes.

Tioga Pass from the Yosemite side is not that challenging -- but it is
really, really pretty. I don't know if I'd want to ride it from the Lee
Vining side because of the lack of shoulder. It's also a lot longer.
Sonora pass is steep and long with supposed 26% pops in it.
http://adventuresonabike.com/2009/10...g-sonora-pass/ I've never
ridden that -- just by it on my way to Monitor from Tioga on a tour. Mike
J. used to ride it -- although he was a former Cat. 1/2.

I've found that cyclists who are fit can climb, even if they are from
flat places. A motor is a motor. However, they are often not very
strategic and wipe themselves out early by trying to ride flat-land
speeds up hill -- or by racing people half their weight or age. You have
to get into your zone and just keep spinning. Eat and drink. Get a
mileage base, even if it is flat miles -- particularly at your average speed.

By the way (time for a story), I was on a tour with my wife and rode over
Monitor Pass from the east side. When I hit the false summit, I stopped
to wait for her -- waits were never very long because she was a racer and
a mountain goat. Anyway, a guy in a truck stops and hands me a couple of
Cokes. Very nice. When my wife arrives, I hand her an ice cold Coke --
much to her amazement. I was going through a Kentucky coal town -- beaten
down and dusty -- and some guy in an ancient F100 drives up, reaches out
the window (cue banjo music, I think I'm going to get die) . . . and
offers me a beer. It's the little things.

-- Jay Beattie.

PS Watch for the cattle grates. Those are an eye-opening on a 50+ mph
descent. My top speed down Carson Pass was 62mph (actually 61.5, but I say 62).

As a born flatlander (it doesn't get any flatter than here in the
Netherlands) I like to ride in the mountains for the challenge and most of
all for the often spectacular scenery. For quite some years I spend one or
two week a year in the big Europian mountains and I can say this:
- there is now law that says you have to live near the mountains to ride
them,
- you don't need special 'climbing' training. Riding 25 km against a strong
headwind will do,
- you don't need to ride with 70 rpm uphill. Nonsense! If you can push a
big gear you can do with 55-60 rpm. High rpm is very demanding for your
hart.
- on the flat it is about power, in the mountains about power to weight
ratio. Power is for the most godgiven, the weight is in your hands,
- climbing for more than 2 hours on a row is a mental thing. You have to
get used to that,
- steepness is about gearing. What I read from you you are in decent shape,
so I see no problem there.

Just do it, like Jobst would say. I rode most of the famous Europian
mountain passes by now and I enjoyed everyone of them. Just last week:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pX...o/IMG_1147.JPG

That was a tough climb, because of the grade, heat (30-35 C) and the wind
in the last part of the climb. I rode also the Tioga pass from Lee Vining.
That was an easy climb :-). Btw I 'm 58 yo.

--
Lou

Old July 16th 15, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/15/2015 6:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 1:51:56 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
Btw I 'm 58 yo.

Hey, I'm that old, too.

Pshaw. Little kids.

... I have a friend who is punishing himself in preparation for some ride across

.. . . Wisconsin! Muzi-land. He's agonizing over it because he's going
to be riding
with some woman pro racer.

Easy solution: Put her on the back seat of a tandem. I remember once
riding with a very strong woman back there. It was like a rocket assist!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 15, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

"jbeattie" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hey, I'm that old, too. I've never done Tioga from Lee Vining. I doesn't look like fun because of the traffic and zero shoulder. I've never done Mt. Ventoux, either.

I rode the Tioga pass late september and still very nice weather. Was really quiet, only friendly tourists so no problems. I rented a bike somewhere between South Lake Tahoe and Lee Vining for that ride.

Lou
Old July 16th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lou....perfect timing....around thanksgiving excellent....you are perfect for

https://goo.gl/j3URdW
Old July 19th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 1:17:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Lou....perfect timing....around thanksgiving excellent....you are perfect for

https://goo.gl/j3URdW

more coastal discovered fault tracking in GooErt

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1111007

CYCLING WESTERN SIERRAS [email protected] Techniques 0 May 23rd 15 11:58 AM
Sierras JD Mountain Biking 5 September 3rd 07 08:19 AM
High Country Cycle Challenge SuzieB Australia 10 November 7th 05 12:58 AM
Bikes With Short Top Tubes and High Front Ends - WAS:Interpreting Serotta Fit Cycle Data For Other Manufacturers? BarryG Techniques 3 April 3rd 05 02:38 AM
Cycle design / fashion - sloping top tubes, high seat-post etc 26" etc Hywel & Ros UK 37 October 28th 03 04:17 PM