Continental GP5000 vs Vitorria Corsa G+

Old July 5th 19, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Continental GP5000 vs Vitorria Corsa G+

The GP5000TL seems to have terrific traction. But it doesn't have very good directional stability. I suppose that the traction is so good that it takes every change in road camber seriously and tries to remain vertical to it.

In any case they do not seem to wear very fast, have very good traction cornering hard (whenever they can remain on the road surface from California's crappy roads that now consist more of patches than roads) and they mount on tubeless rims so easily that you only need a standard floor pump and nothing special.

The Vitorria Corsa G+ is a clincher tire. I have them mounted on the 50 mm deep carbon rims. They have GREAT directional stability. How much of this is due to the very good wheelset I couldn't say. I have put perhaps 800 miles on them and they aren't showing any obvious wear. They also have at least as good flat resistance as the Continental Gatorskin while having a lot lower rolling resistance, better cornering traction and they do not seem to be susceptible to the Gatorskin's infamous sidewall punctures.

The GP5000's are expensive tires and I believe that they would be very good for criterium racers. Changing your track is almost effortless and would be a whole lot better on clean, good surfaces. The Vittoria's would probably be a better choice for distance racing where you cannot watch your line every second.